1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audax: Free controls

Discussion in 'Audax, Brevet and Randonnee' started by Dogtrousers, 7 Jun 2017.

1. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

I've subsequently tweaked the route slightly which has meant changing the location of one of the info controls. But guess what... the new info control has exactly the same question! Again, the answer will be obvious as you ride past without stopping. I'm going to have to be more inventive if I run the event again next year.

I aspire to getting rid of info controls altogether but it's difficult to do that in Kent. I find when devising routes that the 'shortest' distance would often entail using roads that no sane person would want to ride, so you have to add infos to ensure riders take the more scenic option as intended. By contrast, if you go to Scotland, the shortest route is often the only route, so it's easier to keep the number of controls down.

2. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

One of the info control questions on a 600 I did was the colour of the front door on a house near a particular junction. Unfortunately, what the organiser had failed to consider was that it was an unlit country lane and most riders would be passing through that spot in the middle of the night...

• Like Like x 2
  3. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Yeah, that's a perfect solution for those of who have problems with colour, but all info controls cause problems for someone, don't they? The common ones where you have to read things off signs can make things hard for dyslexics (as well as usually being trivial to discover at the start), while ones inside a gate can frustrate the less agile rider.

4. OP
    OP
    Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Buhu

I remember once standing in a gateway with a group of other puzzled cyclists, looking at a gate asking each other ... "well, what do you think it's made of?"

• Like Like x 3
  5. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Unobtainium :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
  6. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Über Member

The cycle gate scandal

• Like Like x 1
  7. Big T

Big T Über Member

I like free controls. The problem with a designated control at a cafe, is that it's usually packed by the time you get there and it takes ages to get served with your food. I know it's not a race, but I don't want to spend 45 mins waiting for and eating food in a cafe. I've ridden audaxes where there was a free control in a small town and you could spread yourselves between the 3 or 4 cafes in the town, or, if you wanted to, just get a balance enquiriy from a cash machine and carry on. Not everyone wants 2 cafes in a 100k audax, or 3 or 4 in a 200k.

Info controls involving mileages on signposts are pretty unambiguous, as are name the pub in a village (provided there's only one). Ambiguous ones I've come across include naming the burglar alarm on a house (there were several houses and several alarms), name the supermarket on the left as you pass through the town (there was a Lidl, a Tesco and a Morrisons with half a mile).

Last edited: 8 Nov 2017
  8. Marmion

Marmion Guru

Salamander

9. Was that WCW? Because the problem was slightly worse - you couldn't have shone your light on the door to see the colour, because it had a window in it! I wonder how many riders shone a light thru their front door?

10. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Yes, it's back with series 2, even though it's about 5 years since series 1 - does it feature an Audax? Will the BBC be showing it like the first one?

11. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

It was indeed. And yes, some people were shining their lights in through the window when I got there.

• Like Like x 1