Audax: Free controls

Discussion in 'Audax, Brevet and Randonnee' started by Dogtrousers, 7 Jun 2017.

1. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

You've got to be pragmatic. It's really not worth making all the riders jump through hoops for the sake of preventing the one or two who might be inclined to take short cuts. The likely effect would be to put people off entering your rides in future (people such as @Dogtrousers, for example).

Dogtrousers likes this.
  2. Sea of vapours

Sea of vapours Über Member

All of the various proofs of passage, other than a manned control with a rubber stamp applied to your brevet card, are not exactly difficult to cheat on (including gpx tracks), but what's the point? The old axiom of 'you are only cheating yourself' is pretty applicable here.

3. Make sure the receipt has the date, time and location on it. In the Gollden Road Standing Stones I have a control at Tarbert after 37miles. There's only 2 shops open at 8am, I visit them before hand and tell them cyclists will be asking for receipts,I also accept selfies next to the ferry terminal or the hardware store. At my last event someone handed me a receipt from the hotel hebrides and wrote on it 'full Scottish Breakfast' - I didn't think it was open to non residents that early and wasn't expecting that one - a demonstration of what's great about audax.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2017
    Dogtrousers likes this.
  4. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

But if you're going to be pragmatic, you'd just rely on the manned and free controls. Either it's worth putting a proper control there or it's not. Maybe Audax should have controls where a stamp is left on a monument like Norwich Alleycat IIRC.

5. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

An info control is a proper control.

Ian H likes this.
  6. mjr

I thought some audaxes qualified you to ride others, but I've not done many and don't really understand the point of it, so I could be wrong.

7. Another thing I did in the GRSS is go to a village sign and wrap 2 bands of coloured insulation tape around a village sign post - the question 'what colour tape is wrapped around the Scadabay village sign' - not going to get that from Google Street View and I can put a different colour tape on each year.

smutchin likes this.
  8. mjr

Nothing is verified by it if you can fill out the box by looking it up on your phone.

Good to know. I'd not read of that before.

9. Vegan1

Vegan1 Guest

The only objective for an someone doing an audax is to get round. You get no prize, monetary or otherwise so the whole argument regarding info controls, streetview and the like is pointless.

10. ...another benefit of open controls is that if a rider buys something from a local shop to get a receipt they are giving something to the businesses who are supporting your event. I've left stamps at shops and had riders just get a stamp and leave - make them get a receipt and the shop benefits from your event and is more willing to say 'yes' the following year.

Last edited: 9 Jun 2017
  11. mjr

So the awards and badges and so on are all fictional?

12. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Exterminate Christmas! Moderator

Erm...no. I'm not an audaxer, and even I know that's wrong.
    PBP, frinstance, you need to have ridden qualifying Audaxes.

mjr likes this.
  13. Vegan1

Vegan1 Guest

Lol, if anyone wants to cheat thier way to a little badge that gives the respective distance - be my guest.

14. mjr

We live in a world where people risk their health taking performance enhancing drugs for sportive rides. I guess at least audax doesn't encourage that so much.

15. Vegan1

Vegan1 Guest

What?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice