Audax start time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Im doing an audax on sunday and it says it starts at 9:30am but do I have to be there before that time? If I was late e.g. I got there at 10am, can I still do it? Only because the event is 50km away from me and my Mum was meant to drop me off there but now cannot and there is no early enough train to get it, so the only train available would mean Im slightly late. Or would I be barred from entry? Should I just cycle the 50km to get to the event on time. The event is 110km.

Sharky

Guru
You sound young, I'm sure you can ride out to the start and ride back after the event.

Once upon a time, it was the norm to ride out to time trials and ride back after the event (shattered).

Sharky

Guru
There are some famous and historic cycling club huts north of London somewhere. Don't know much about them, but it was the HQ for a time trial I rode once. They were owned by some East London cycling clubs and their members used to ride out the day before an event and kip there, then ride the event the next day.

I'm sure there are people on here that know the real facts about them.

I, in my youth, stayed in a few YHA hostels the night before, rode the event and then rode home.

Makes you a real hard cyclist riding out - you'll enjoy it (when you get home)

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

There are some famous and historic cycling club huts north of London somewhere. Don't know much about them, but it was the HQ for a time trial I rode once. They were owned by some East London cycling clubs and their members used to ride out the day before an event and kip there, then ride the event the next day.

I'm sure there are people on here that know the real facts about them.

I, in my youth, stayed in a few YHA hostels the night before, rode the event and then rode home.

Makes you a real hard cyclist riding out - you'll enjoy it (when you get home)
Is riding out 50km one way not too much- it would be 50km+110km+50km=210km in total? Will I be okay?

Ajax Bay

Guru
E-mail the organiser and let them know you'll be late and crave indulgence. They normally expect to wait for latecomers.
Treat the suggestions above with the merit they deserve, recognising that posters are old enough to know better (and probably guffaw at the thought of rides of less than 200km).
You know what your capability is 110/160/210.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

E-mail the organiser and let them know you'll be late and crave indulgence. They normally expect to wait for latecomers.
Treat the suggestions above with the merit they deserve, recognising that posters are old enough to know better (and probably guffaw at the thought of rides of less than 200km).
You know what your capability is 110/160/210.
The most I ever done is 108km :blush::blush: I emailed the organiser about the start time to see what they'll say. Im nowhere near as good as most cyclists on here- Im young and in good shape but don't know how capable I am.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Young and in good shape is a big help but there's such a thing as cycling fit too, whereby your mind and body are attuned to the specific needs of distance riding. I reckon you should speak to the organiser and explain your difficulty. I'd be very surprised if they didn't indulge you.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Usually there's a fixed start time. If you start late then you are already that time behind I'm afraid. You'd also miss other riders and learning valuable information for the start of such an event.

Be aware that there is a 'latest finishing time' which will be down to the average mph. For such a short event then you are quite likely to miss the cut-off because you're starting that late.

Personally I'd ride it steady to the event, have something to eat when you get there, ride it and organise a pick-up if needed. If you've done the audax distance then it's only 50km further.

But then don't ask me. I rode the 1200km Paris-Brest-Paris only having done a maximum of 200km 4 months before the event - making the jump from 200 to 300 to 400 to 600 to 1200 without any other real distance. And did the 1430km (I got lost so did more!) London-Edinburgh-London one-legged. Therefore I'm clearly daft.

Last edited:
I'd cycle there and either ride back or get your mum to pick you up.

It's going to be all about pacing yourself and fuelling so don't go sprinting off anywhere along the route. Nice and steady. And take extra food with you.

I did 140m when I was 16 and my previous longest was about 80 miles. It's fine if you take it easy.

Enjoy your day.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

Usually there's a fixed start time. If you start late then you are already that time behind I'm afraid. You'd also miss other riders and learning valuable information for the start of such an event.

Be aware that there is a 'latest finishing time' which will be down to the average mph. For such a short event then you are quite likely to miss the cut-off because you're starting that late.

Personally I'd ride it steady to the event, have something to eat when you get there, ride it and organise a pick-up if needed. If you've done the audax distance then it's only 50km further.

But then don't ask me. I rode the 1200km Paris-Brest-Paris only having done a maximum of 200km 4 months before the event - making the jump from 200 to 300 to 400 to 600 to 1200 without any other real distance. And did the 1430km (I got lost so did more!) London-Edinburgh-London one-legged. Therefore I'm clearly daft.
How did you do the LEL and the Paris audax?!!!! That's absolutely amazing! I'll try ride there slowly-aim for 20km/h as a minimum, not speedy-just slow and steady. Now they said because of covid they don't want everyone to start at the same time, so not sure how everything will work.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

I'd cycle there and either ride back or get your mum to pick you up.

It's going to be all about pacing yourself and fuelling so don't go sprinting off anywhere along the route. Nice and steady. And take extra food with you.

I did 140m when I was 16 and my previous longest was about 80 miles. It's fine if you take it easy.

Enjoy your day.
Thank you :wub: I think I'll start off at 6:30am-ish and should be there by 9am to start. I just hope it's not too hilly 😅 I think I'll cycle to the train station-10 miles after to get the train back. What food do you recommend I take? How many energy gels- I quite like those because I don't like eating solid food when cycling - hurts my stomach?

Sharky

Guru
The most I ever done is 108km :blush::blush: I emailed the organiser about the start time to see what they'll say. Im nowhere near as good as most cyclists on here- Im young and in good shape but don't know how capable I am.
Depends how comfortable the 108km ride was and how often. You can certainly extend yourself by 20% or so and then it's down to how much pain you can suffer.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
How did you do the LEL and the Paris audax?!!!! That's absolutely amazing!

Thanks. Much of the long-distance riding is mind over matter: on the Blackpool-Glasgow-Blackpool 600k I wondered "why am I doing this?" whilst going over rough roads north of Gretna on 23mm tyres. Nearly turned back but convinced myself that Glasgow wasn't that far ... it was! Oh, and I'd accidentally packed my son's summer kit rather than mine so ended up with windchill at 2am going over Shap Fell on the way back, needing to warm up in Kendal Travelodge.

100km becomes 200km and onwards providing you keep fit, keep training and focus on why you're doing the event.

Hope it goes well.

Thank you :wub: I think I'll start off at 6:30am-ish and should be there by 9am to start. I just hope it's not too hilly 😅 I think I'll cycle to the train station-10 miles after to get the train back. What food do you recommend I take? How many energy gels- I quite like those because I don't like eating solid food when cycling - hurts my stomach?

Just energy gels on an audax starts to go wrong after a while. I'd suggest something soft-ish as well; flapjack / banana / malt loaf which have slower-release sugars rather than relying on an instant-hit from the gel.

Top Bottom