Audax UK new member!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
That was my plan this season, I managed to DNF a 300 and a 400 :sad:

Bike or body mechanics?

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Sounds good but I know I have been pretty exhausted at the end of most of them.

That's because your body was dialled in for the distance. Dial it in for a 300 and i think you'll be surprised!

I'm the same when I go out running, first time I tried a 10k run I'd never done more than 5k... I never thought I'd make it due to how I've felt after 5k runs. Well I tried it and got round without stopping...few weeks later I was up to 10miles!

It's all in the mind.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The 400 was mechanical and i made it all of 40km. A night start and I hit a big pothole in the pitch dark riding through the Campsie fells and pringled my rear wheel (and found out I'd left my spoke key in the car :blush:). I then wobbled the 40km back to the start but didn't feel I could ride 360km on it.

I packed the 300 through cramping up and my brain playing tricks on me. I'd ridden 200km at that point and decided to ride back to a station (20km) rather than take on the North Yorkshire Moors when I was right on the time limit and hurting. This was probably mental more than anything and I think I could ride 300 now.

I made the twin mistakes of not getting enough sleep before the ride and having a commitment not long after the finishing time on the Sunday. I was also riding with someone else as we were both going for 300 for the first time, but as she had been ill all week she had to bail out at the first control meaning I was on my own. By that time we were right on the limit as she really wasn't feeling very well so we had taking it quite slowly.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
That's because your body was dialled in for the distance. Dial it in for a 300 and i think you'll be surprised!

I'm the same when I go out running, first time I tried a 10k run I'd never done more than 5k... I never thought I'd make it due to how I've felt after 5k runs. Well I tried it and got round without stopping...few weeks later I was up to 10miles!

It's all in the mind.
Thanks for that,I have heard other people say similar things,I havent ruled out trying a 300 just a bit nervous about it.Plan on just doing shorter rides over the winter then think about it again in the spring.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The 400 was mechanical and i made it all of 40km. A night start and I hit a big pothole in the pitch dark riding through the Campsie fells and pringled my rear wheel (and found out I'd left my spoke key in the car :blush:). I then wobbled the 40km back to the start but didn't feel I could ride 360km on it.

I packed the 300 through cramping up and my brain playing tricks on me. I'd ridden 200km at that point and decided to ride back to a station (20km) rather than take on the North Yorkshire Moors when I was right on the time limit and hurting. This was probably mental more than anything and I think I could ride 300 now.

I made the twin mistakes of not getting enough sleep before the ride and having a commitment not long after the finishing time on the Sunday. I was also riding with someone else as we were both going for 300 for the first time, but as she had been ill all week she had to bail out at the first control meaning I was on my own. By that time we were right on the limit as she really wasn't feeling very well so we had taking it quite slowly.

No wonder you packed on the 300 .To be slowed down by someone then left on your own with no time in hand would be seriously demoralizing.

I know its not wise to set off too wquick but my method on 200s has evolved into getting some time in hand in the first half of the ride then just trying not to lose any time in the second half. Not sure if this tactic would work on a longer distance .

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
To be fair I probably spent too much time in the next control as well. I'm used to riding alone and have done riding on the clock before (I'm a pretty full value rider - eg: I finished the Nippy Sweetie 200 with 4 mins to spare) but that along with all the other factors just built up to a head at Richmond, and the worry about getting home in time for my other commitment tipped me over the edge.

I don't blame the other rider for it (she posts on here occasionally). It was quite a feat to ride 75km without having been able to keep any food down all week and throwing up on the route. Net time i will pay far more attention to preparation before the event, and give myself a whole weekend without other commitments to do the ride.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A good introduction to long-distance is the National 400. Full controls with food, and a relatively easy route. Next year it's on the 15th June 2013

Top Bottom