Audax , whats it all about ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I've just seen this one http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-888/ and it seems to have interested me for some strange reason .
Looking on the site it says I can just turn up and pay £2 to join in but other than doing the distance I'm not sure what joining in is all about .
Any advice on this kind of thing ?

£2 pays for your insurance for the day, rest of entry fee may include a brew at start/ finish depending on organiser.

It is like a cheap sportive without the timing chip/ sag wagon/ "freebie" bag/ signage/ feed stations.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
In simple terms, an Audax is a long distance bike ride but there are controls along the way with questions to answer usually based on something that can be observed along the way. This is to satisfy the organisers that you followed their route and arrived at each control point within the time window given.

There will be a maximum and minimum speed, if you're too fast you can afford to stop at a cafe for tea and something to eat before moving on.

You need to bring a pen/pencil to fill in your brevet card. A route sheet is given with strange language written on them, I can recommend plotting the route on a map/gps/phone before you ride.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
£2 for a cuppa in Wimbledon / Richmond is unheard of :laugh:
I looked further into it and there are feeding stops . Do you need to take money with you for these or pay a fee / deposit at the start incase you use them ? Or are they just cafes that have agreed to take part ?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Take money, last Audax I rode had a great feed stop with homemade easter biscuits and tea all for £1.

You can stop anywhere along the way although a good Audax control point will be close to a cafe, pub or feed station.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm just playing with the idea right now and its a lot of miles for me in one ride . I will have a go at over the 100 mile mark this weekend if I get time and see how I feel .

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Another tip, if you're using a garmin to record or monitor your ride, turn off auto pause and don't stop it until you've finished. This will give you a reliable average speed reading which can help you decide how long to spend in the pub/cafe/feed station.

I can speak with some authority - I was a volunteer on that ride last year! And I've ridden it as a DIY**.

Food is included. And it's decent and plentiful. Always bring some cash, in case you need to abandon.

So you meet at the starting point, get a card. You stop at each control, have a cuppa and food and get your card stamped. There's a further control (probably, there was last year) on the top of devil's dyke, which will be a question. Get to the end within 13 and a bit hours, and you have completed it and can buy a badge.

Cost is £14 for non Audax members.

Recommended

(DIY is where you choose your own starting date and time, tell the organiser you are doing it, and send him cafe receipts or GPX track to prove you have done it)

Another tip, if you're using a garmin to record or monitor your ride, turn off auto pause and don't stop it until you've finished. This will give you a reliable average speed reading which can help you decide how long to spend in the pub/cafe/feed station.
Not really required on an organised ride. The brevet card should give opening and closing of the each control, so you can know how much time you have in hand.

I'm just playing with the idea right now and its a lot of miles for me in one ride . I will have a go at over the 100 mile mark this weekend if I get time and see how I feel .
At least one couple last year had decided not to complete by the time they reached Ardingly control which is where I helped out. They decided to go to brighton and catch the train. They informed the organiser (politeness) and it's fine. I wouldn't hesitate to do that if the distance was too far for me on the day. Still a very decent ride, and it's a good route.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ok so my thinking on these rides seems to have been the DIY approach and that appealed to me . Looking at the website it seemed to be a group thing .
Can you do these when ever you want or with mates ?

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I'm thinking of doing The Ditchling Devil this year, probably ride the few miles to the start too.
The only other audax I've done had plentiful food and drink at the stops.

Top Bottom