Audax , whats it all about ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Ive just been looking at the photo gallery on the AUK site . There seems to be a lot of steel and luggage racks and not a lot of carbon .

Last Audax I rode saw a good lot of carbon on the route. Also saw someone riding a steel mtb wearing bright red flipflops, just ride the bike you're happiest riding.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Audax is timed touring, sportives are challenge rides.
Touring is taking time to look at your surroundings & enjoying the views, whereas sportives are usually very hilly & tiring.
There are family friendly audax rides (up to 80km/50mls), regular audax rides of around 100km to 200km (60 to 120mls), & then there are the challenge sort of rides, 300km & upwards.

RedRider

Pulling through
I did Islington CC's Great Escape audax last Sunday which was my first. Great atmosphere, rolled out from Look mum No Hands just after 8am in groups of 30-40. I think around 110 riders in all.
I'd been hoping to do it with a mate but he'd bailed before applying so I didn't know others. Could've ridden around on my own but was welcomed into a group of around 10 mainly from Islington CC - a great bunch - and we completed the 217k together. If the speed or company hadn't suited I could've dropped back or pressed on into another group or gone solo but it was all very congenial without dawdling.
The weather and route was lovely through narrow lanes out to West Wratting near Cambridge and back in a loop.
Stopped off at a couple of cafe 'controls' where we had our brevet cards stamped to prove our passage and noted the answers to a couple of questions elsewhere for the same reason. Ate some massive complementary flapjacks at Great Dunmow on the way back...bananas, gels and water was also freely available at the various controls.
Rolled back into Look Mum No Hands sometime shortly after 7pm and some beers with new friends. A pretty much perfect day out.
Edited for spelling (compliment/complement grr)

Last edited:

marcusjb

I wasn't questioning the steel and luggage I was more questioning my self . I was thinking , carbon bike , a kitkat and a banana .

The Ditchling Devil will have plenty of riders on carbon and little to no luggage.

It is a cracking route and the food stops and so on will make this a great ride.

I will be at the start helping out and then stamping cards somewhere en route.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The Ditchling Devil will have plenty of riders on carbon and little to no luggage.

It is a cracking route and the food stops and so on will make this a great ride.

I will be at the start helping out and then stamping cards somewhere en route.
I think I will test my self tomorrow to see if I can go the distance . Flapjack is in the oven right now and as you can see I have gone to bed early :laugh:

marcusjb

I think I will test my self tomorrow to see if I can go the distance . Flapjack is in the oven right now and as you can see I have gone to bed early :laugh:

Well?

Certainly, if you are in shape to ride an Imperial century, you'll make it around a 200km Audax (weather permitting etc.). Mental fortitude will get you a long way on a bike.

The important thing is it isn't a race, no-one cares if you get around in 7 hours or 13 and a half hours (13h30m being the limit for the sake of this discussion - someone anal will pop up and try and explain BRM, BR, over-distance and all that jazz - call it 13h30m and it is job done). Don't hook onto the fast boys and girls, unless you are a fast boy or girl - they will leave you by the roadside, broken. Ride your own pace - if you are in a group that's a little fast, drop off and another group will pick you up at some point. If you're a little faster than the group you are with, tell them you are going to push on and get on with it.

There's going to be very good TLC on this ride - plenty of food and drinks and a chance to catch your breath.

It features some great roads, a few 'famous' climbs (and plenty of flatter stuff as well) and it's an easy story to tell "I rode down to Brighton" (pause for the gasps of amazement from your mates) "and back" (watch as they faint in disbelief).

edindave

Über Member
102 miles in 8:15 . Just got back home , I stopped for a cuppa after 60 odd miles for about half an hour but it may have been more .
http://www.strava.com/activities/145435134
I feel I could quite easily do the other 30 miles but im bored of riding for no point now . I'm having a cold beer in a hot bath :thumbsup:

Nice one. I take it you had snacks as well en route, on top of the cup of tea. Tea alone won't keep you going for long!
I think once you get beyond 100mi or so it's just a case of keeping yourself hydrated and fuelled, and mentally motivated, and continue at a manageable pace. Food goes in - legs turn pedals. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Nice one. I take it you had snacks as well en route, on top of the cup of tea. Tea alone won't keep you going for long!
I think once you get beyond 100mi or so it's just a case of keeping yourself hydrated and fuelled, and mentally motivated, and continue at a manageable pace. Food goes in - legs turn pedals. :thumbsup:
No breakfast , just a few brews . I took five chunks of flapjack , two bananas , a NUUN tablet in one bottle and two water bottles . When I stopped I topped up another water bottle with a NUUN tablet .
Dinner is in the oven now but I don't really feel hungry . I bet I scoff the lot when its ready though !
My right knee started to pull towards the end but when I unclipped and rode it was fine . Ive had this issue before and it happens to be the knee I damaged years ago but I'm hoping its cleat position . Is there such a thing that will allow me to raise the cleat to another position ?

edindave

Über Member
No breakfast! I'm not great at eating early in the morning, and I have to force myself to eat before a long ride. The earlier you get the fuel in, the sooner it's digested and available for the legs. And as they say, the best place to carry fuel for a ride is in your stomach.

I'm not sure about cleat height being adjustable, in-shoe sole prosthetics are probably the nearest thing.

Have a read of this article on cleat position and knee pain. That link is to the second part of the article; there's a link to the first part near the top of the page.

RedRider

Pulling through
I'm tempted by this one myself but there's a strong chance real life will get in the way.
Passing through Richmond Park today I was accosted by the organiser Paul, who was handing out flyers. He said the route's based on one of his old training rides! He said around 140 have signed up already and he's hoping to reach the magic 200. One thing I didn't ask is whether it would be possible to sign up on the day, I don't like the idea of taking a place and then not turning up. Anyone know?
If I find my way to the start I think it would be a step up in terms of hardness compared to the Great Escape last week. I foresee a bit of walking up the longer, steeper sections. The advertised 'real food' would be a spur tho'.

Top Bottom