Audax , whats it all about ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If only! I'm afraid it was only a 105km audax. Huge hill within the first 20 miles nearly killed me, and had to struggle round the remaining 45 miles with my legs gone.
Don't sweat it.
I was in bits by 70km into my first 100km.
At 130km into my first 150km I could not conceive of anyone going another 70km
At 165 km into my first 200 km I came closer to packing than I've done before or since...
That was four years ago. I must have memory fault somewhere because my record now shows 3 x Super Randonneur series, LEL, and 29 months RRtY

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
OK - I've entered the Good Companions 200 on 15th June, West Yorks.

Anyone else doing it?

beeblemaster

Über Member
If only! I'm afraid it was only a 105km audax. Huge hill within the first 20 miles nearly killed me, and had to struggle round the remaining 45 miles with my legs gone.

Fat lad at the back I assume! ;)

You were complaining, but you seemed to be doing fine. Well done! Keep up the good work! ;)

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Fat lad at the back I assume! ;)

You were complaining, but you seemed to be doing fine. Well done! Keep up the good work! ;)

That was me! My 6th, but toughest audax yet. Sticking Broadway Tower in so early was a sadistic stroke. Funny how you always get home though, even if your legs go with 45 miles left. (Gotta show these skinny young lads there's life in the old dog yet).

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I notice the Ditchling Devil is now closed . Will it still be open for people on the day or is that it ? Still no idea what I will be doing but just got my welcome pack from Audax UK and it reminded me of the ride on Sunday .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I will see how much work I get done tomorrow . No big deal , I just wondered if you could turn up on the day .
I'll give you my number and have the van ready for a pick up if you want :laugh:

I notice the Ditchling Devil is now closed . Will it still be open for people on the day or is that it ? Still no idea what I will be doing but just got my welcome pack from Audax UK and it reminded me of the ride on Sunday .
No, I wouldn't think so. Accepting entries on the day is not usual for Audax, last year was a bit strange. Full is full. If there was space, he'd be accepting online entries still.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=70691.msg1694797#msg1694797

If you want to learn about audax, you should probably have a wander around that forum.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ahhh no worries , i'll look into stuff a bit more :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Good luck and have fun on the ride tomorrow everyone :thumbsup: Shame I was too late to decide . May do a Brighton run anyway . If you see a white TCR on the beach with a fella in a mankini running into the sea , that's me :laugh:

Ditchling Devil doesn't quite make it to the beach. If the turnaround is the same as in the perm, you'll have to hang out in you mankini in an Asda superstore to see the riders
888b.jpg

That would definitely qualify as an audax ride, 2+ hours in hand.

Have a look at DIY audaxes: you name your own route and your own day, do the ride and send the GPX file, and then you can buy a badge.

Doesn't make much sense when you put it that way but it is a fun extra on a ride.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I can see it would add extra fun but I don't understand the virtual brevet card thing . Unless its an agreement between yourself and Audax to do the ride ?

Top Bottom