Audax , whats it all about ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Following on from taking part in the 100k-a-month challenge (ongoing) I quite fancy doing an Audax, the Three Glens Explorer in September looks like a good one to aim for - @Scoosh I have a feeling you mentioned this one ages ago back when I was setting aside a full day to cover 50 miles :blush: and 100 miles seemed impossible - any advice? Also not sure if there are any Central Belt 100k's earlier than that, couldn't see any on the Aux UK website.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
@Fubar - you're right - there are not enough 100km audax events around the central belt :headshake:.

160km 3 Glens Explorer is a good ride - I've done it a couple of times. The only tricky bits are the short (~500m) double-chevronned :eek: uphill just after passing the road to Path of Condie - and the sharp right-angled right bend on the very fast descent in to Dunning. A couple of people came off here in the wet one time .... :sad:

Glen Devon is a long steady ascent and the downhill is great - until you remember you have to turn right and go the back way to Auchterarder !

I'd wanted to do it again last year but had cold feet and not enough 'bent miles in the legs.
Hmmm .... 3 Glens this year ... :unsure:

Following on from taking part in the 100k-a-month challenge (ongoing) I quite fancy doing an Audax, the Three Glens Explorer in September looks like a good one to aim for - @Scoosh I have a feeling you mentioned this one ages ago back when I was setting aside a full day to cover 50 miles :blush: and 100 miles seemed impossible - any advice? Also not sure if there are any Central Belt 100k's earlier than that, couldn't see any on the Aux UK website.

Depends how narrow your definition of "Central Belt" is (which is incorrect as it is nowhere near being "central"):

There is a 100km from Musselburgh on 17th August
There is a 100km from Larkhall of 24th August

Fubar

Guru
Depends how narrow your definition of "Central Belt" is (which is incorrect as it is nowhere near being "central"):

There is a 100km from Musselburgh on 17th August
There is a 100km from Larkhall of 24th August

Thanks, Mussleburgh would be good - just somewhere I can get to easily without travelling for hours :smile:

Fubar

Guru
@Fubar - you're right - there are not enough 100km audax events around the central belt :headshake:.

160km 3 Glens Explorer is a good ride - I've done it a couple of times. The only tricky bits are the short (~500m) double-chevronned :eek: uphill just after passing the road to Path of Condie - and the sharp right-angled right bend on the very fast descent in to Dunning. A couple of people came off here in the wet one time .... :sad:

Glen Devon is a long steady ascent and the downhill is great - until you remember you have to turn right and go the back way to Auchterarder !

I'd wanted to do it again last year but had cold feet and not enough 'bent miles in the legs.
Hmmm .... 3 Glens this year ... :unsure:

Sounds good, see how I'm placed nearer the time - might try and do a couple of 100k's to see if I can get my head round the process...:wacko:

MikeG

Guru
You'll see all sorts at audaxes.......the latest fancy carbon stuff, to 40 year old fixies, recumbents (occasionally), tandems (often), and even trikes. Nobody bats an eyelid.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I am thinking about doing the Three towers http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-532/

But, will i look even more of a nobber than normal turning up on a Carbon Fibre Di2 bike, or is it best to take my trusty ally winter bike?

Really fancy having a go at it as sportives just annoy me with all the BS brigade.
Pete . I think we need some " team mamil " kits made so people understand we are nobbers and don't care .

martint235

Dog on a bike
I am thinking about doing the Three towers http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/14-532/

But, will i look even more of a nobber than normal turning up on a Carbon Fibre Di2 bike, or is it best to take my trusty ally winter bike?

Really fancy having a go at it as sportives just annoy me with all the BS brigade.
I did London - Edinburgh - London on a Ti road bike. Just sign up and go. I've only done the one Audax but they strike me as being much more laid back and fun than a sportive

PpPete

Legendary Member

CF Di2 ?
Increasingly popular on Audaxes.
The only way you look like a nobber is if you turn up on one without having charged the battery.

Honestly .... absolutely anything pedal powered is perfectly acceptable in audax. No one ever laughs at your bike. I've seen stainless steel custom-built Moultons (£14K :eek:) , 50 lb Pashleys (on a hilly 300km) both get as many admiring glances as the latest CF bike pron. Titanium has a following, as does steel; there are trikes, 'bents, tandems. Really there is NOTHING that looks "out of place". UCI regs ? :laugh:

Last edited:

marcusjb

Audax is very laid back about what bike you turn up on.

As PpPete says, really anything goes. In fact the more ridiculous the better. The way to really earn respect in audax is to tackle a ridiculously hard ride on a totally inappropriate machine.

Everything from very, very high end CF with wheels that cost more than most bikes to bikes that look like they were dredged from the bottom of the canal (often ridden by old boys who look almost as grotty as their bike, but who can put hours into you every day).

The bike industry is slowly creating more and more bikes that are perfectly suited to audax with the move towards fatter tyres and more compliance on framesets like the Domane etc.

All that really matters is that you are comfortable on whatever you choose to ride - for a 200, you are going to be actually in the saddle for between 6-7 and 11-12 hours.

Top Bottom