Auntie Helen and PippaG go to Germany!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yes, I'm off again! This Saturday, with the lovely PippaG from YACF.

Here we are contemplating the trip:
p7181328.jpg

We are taking the overnight ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland (cycling from my place to Harwich again). Then we're taking the train the next morning from Hook of Holland to Bamberg in Germany (7 different trains over 12 hours, yikes!) and then we're setting off to cycle back towards home along the Main River and then the Rhine.

So we should see Bamberg, Wurzburg, Aschaffenburg, Wertheim, Frankfurt, Mainz, Rüdesheim, Bacharach, Koblenz, maybe even Köln again.

We'll try to keep in touch on this thread - if I can do another travelogue like last time I'll give it a go. But with two of us I shouldn't get so lonely so might not be so talkative.

Oh, we're coming back on or before Thursday 10th September, taking the overnight ferry to bring us home to Colchester on Friday morning.

Should be a fab time, I have the Bikeline books and Andy in Sig's recommendation of somewhere to see near Bamberg (Vierzehnheiligen). PippaG has a wonderful new bike for the tour, a Van Nicholson Yukon (upright bike), so we're all set for the adventure!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Have a fantastic time AH, can't wait to read about it here.

U

User169

Good luck - Franconia's a really nice part of Germany.

Kloster Banz is worth seeing and is just the other side of the valley from Vierzenheiligen (I'm not sure I'd bother with Lichtenfels itself). Sesslach is also worth a detour and would get you a bit off the beaten track.

mike e

Have a great time Helen and Pippa. I hope one of you knows the way as you both appear to be looking in different directions...:tongue::biggrin::biggrin:

Pippa, be careful that you don't end up with feet like Helen's....xx(

Sound's like a great adventure, is it too late for one more???.............:biggrin:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Garz, I'm doing it on my trike of course - that's my only bike. It works brilliantly for touring apart from the faff of lifting it onto and off trains, plus squeezing it through hotel doorways. But I managed last time on my own so with Pippa's help it should be easier this time.

Thanks for all your good wishes, folks!

Garz

Squat Member
Have a great ride, dont natter too much so you can post updates! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Yeah but I don't drink, Delftse Post!

Well I have only just got up this morning as I'm still feeling a bit dodgy and requiring a fairly handy loo at short notice. Have been drinking dioralyte and eating bananas and am feeling a bit more human now. Need to be able to cope with 7 trains on Sunday...

U

User169

Auntie Helen said:
Yeah but I don't drink, Delftse Post!

Well I have only just got up this morning as I'm still feeling a bit dodgy and requiring a fairly handy loo at short notice. Have been drinking dioralyte and eating bananas and am feeling a bit more human now. Need to be able to cope with 7 trains on Sunday...

There are reasons for going to Germany other than beer?:biggrin:

Hope you feel better shortly!

Top Bottom