Auntie Helen's July in Germany... with trike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Now I know that my lessons are from 14:00 - 18:00 that causes some issues for doing wider exploration. I need to leave here for the lessons at 13:15 so have only the morning really to do some riding. So I went to bed early last night (straight after the Netherlands v Uruguay footie match) so that I could get up early and go out exploring.

I was ready to leave at 8am which gave me plenty of time. I have several routes of different lengths on my Garmin that I've downloaded from GPSies.com, so I decided to do a 30 miler.

7Junemorningride.jpg

DSCF5388.jpg

The route took me through the University (Heinrich Heine Uni, Duesseldorf). I was following the track on my Garmin where I got slightly confused and almost cycled down a no-entry; I stopped on the verge to look more closely at my Garmin and a police car appeared out of the road I had almost cycled down. He had a very friendly chat but pointed out it would really not be sensible to cycle down this road as it was the slip road off the Autobahn; he recommended taking the cycle route round the corner (which was what my GPS actually wanted me to do). All very friendly, but a reminder that it's reasonably easy in Germany to stray onto the Autobahnen as they seem to go very close to normal roads.

I then went over the impressive road bridge that I took by car on my way here.

DSCF5391.jpg

Now I was on the western side of the Rhine the route took me southwards towards Dormagen.

The path quality was rather better on this ride than yesterday's, with mostly asphalt or decently-laid paving bricks. This included cycling through a woodland, where I saw a lady walking a Weimaraner. We have a Weimaraner but we almost never see any in Germany - the Germans are too sensible to have such naughty doggies.

DSCF5389.jpg

Anyway, I continued on through some rather industrial bits, wending my way through a mixture of road and cycle track, although most of the road bits had cycle paths beside them.

DSCF5392.jpg

At one point there were a lot of barriers across the cycle path where it crosses a railway line. There had been no warning of this, and there was no obvious diversion, so I stood there dithering a while, at which point a moped came from the other direction and worked his way round the barriers, and a cyclist came from behind me and did the same. So I decided it was OK and crossed as well, having to wheel the trike as it had to do some rather sharp turns to get round the barriers.

DSCF5393.jpg

I was following a pretty good route but it had one significant failing - it directed me down a road with a very obvious 'no cycling' sign. I decided it would not be wise to take that route and trail-blazed, using my Garmin, an alternative route to join up with the original one. It worked fine, including cycling through a golf course and crossing a motorway on a very high-up pedestrian/cyclist bridge.

I then cycled through a lovely area of open fields with loads of dog walkers - including one lady with two Weimaraners, including one that was just four months old! I stopped to have a chat, then continued on, joining up with the official GPX track that I had left earlier.

I was now cycling parallel to the Rhine for a bit and passed a Marina:

DSCF5394.jpg

The water seems very blue today.

DSCF5395.jpg

DSCF5396.jpg

I arrived in Neuss which is a fairly large town the other side of the Rhine to Duesseldorf and got a good view across the river of the centre of Duesseldorf, which I haven't yet actually visited.

DSCF5397.jpg

Finally I crossed over again, on a different bridge this time. I stopped to take some photos and could really feel the bridge wobbling, which was slightly perturbing. I assume this is because of two lanes of car traffic, two tram lines and two different cycle paths...

DSCF5398.jpg

I was now on the Rhein Radweg for a bit and passed this pirate sailing ship, although it might be almost impossible to sail against the current in the river.

DSCF5399.jpg

I was approaching the bridge that I had crossed on my outward journey near the Uni - it's an impressive structure

DSCF5400.jpg

DSCF5401.jpg

I got home after 3 hours, having done 29.5 miles. It seems my average speed was a bit higher today, perhaps because I was on quieter roads with fewer traffic lights. It was a good ride, though, and I feel like I'm beginning to know my way around.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
You've just reminded me of another place I'd forgotten about: Zons, a medaeval village cum town which is linked to the southern extremity of Düsseldorf by a ferry. Nice cafes and restaurants. Definitely good for a summer evening.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Thursday 8 June.

All was quiet in Duesseldorf as I left the house at 8:15 this morning. Presumably most Germans were sleeping off their hangovers after the footie disappointment, and no-one as yet seems to have removed their flags. This was a house I saw just round the corner from where I am staying.

DSCF5402.jpg

Today I decided to follow yet another downloaded route from GPSies.com, this time a shorter route (22.5 miiles). The route goes to the town of Erkrath and then does a bit of a loop before returning back to Duesseldorf.

8JulyErkrathloop.jpg

It was yet another sunny morning - the temperature reached 33 by lunchtime - and lovely cycling weather. I set off cycling north-easterly out of Duesseldorf which involved more on roads than normal, but they were surprisingly quiet.

Once again I was impressed by the cycle facilities - there was a dedicated cycle path on both sides of this underpass which was raised higher than the road so it felt very safe.

DSCF5403.jpg

After four miles I was out in the countryside.

DSCF5404.jpg

The cycle paths on this route were all pretty decent (except for one short stretch, mentioned below). There were also some on-road sections but the roads weren't at all busy. The surfaces are generally good in the countryside; the towns can be a bit potholey but no worse than in England.

As I approached Erkrath I realised I was going up a bit of a hill. This was somewhat of a surprise as the whole point of cycling in river valleys is that it's flat; however I was clearly leaving the valley and having to work much harder to get up the hill. When I reached the top, however, the view back to Duesseldorf was rather nice.

DSCF5405.jpg

DSCF5406.jpg

I cycled through a bit of Erkrath which seemed a nice enough town, although it was too early for the shops to be open (only just after 9am). The route then wended its way under the railway line and then - horror of horrors - a shocking hilly bit!

This was probably one of the biggest climbs I've done on the trike. It wasn't massively long or unfeasibly steep, it just felt like it went on for ages. I tried to take a photo of one of the tight corners but I'm not sure if you can see the steepness.

DSCF5407.jpg

I was moaning at myself for not checking the elevation profile before I downloaded/used the route. When I got home I downloaded my track - as you can see, there's a big lump in the middle. It was great fun going down the other side but hard work on a hot day on a recumbent trike getting up to the top.

erkrathelevationprofile.jpg

Still, once I got onto the top of the hill it was nice and flat and very countrified.

I crossed over one of the Autobahnen (the A3, a whopper) and decided to photograph it - it seemed rather busy this morning.

DSCF5408.jpg

I was really looking forward to the descent of the hill but when it came there was a bit of a disappointment - the cycle path, which I was on, turned into a shared cycle and bridle path, and wasn't asphalted. It was rather bumpy! I should have followed the cyclist who turned onto the road with me at the junction before but didn't take the cycle path...

DSCF5409.jpg

(Sorry about my feet and trusty SatNav in shot there!)

The bottom of the hill turned out to be in Erkrath again, so all that hard work could have been avoided! Still, it was interesting to see the Rhine valley from up high, but I think I'll give it a miss next time!

I did the 22.5 miles in 2 hours 15, so was back at home by 10:30 which gave me time to do yesterday's washing up before settling down to some work, then going off to my German lessons.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Friday 9 July.

The weather forecast today was a scorcher (36 degrees) and I decided to do a shorter ride today as I got up a bit later and had to do some homework first.

Today's route was a 20 miler following yet another GPSies track.
9JulyroundNeuss.jpg

The beginning was cycling a fair way through Düsseldorf itself and I found some very quaint streets, such as this one - with one-way streets either side of a mini stream.
DSCF5410.jpg

Once I crossed the river I was in the container depot area which was distinctly unattractive. Miles of concrete, loads of containers, even some litter (unusual for Germany).
DSCF5411.jpg

Still, the cycle paths were still generally OK.
DSCF5412.jpg

I passed this very unusual church; initially I thought it was some kind of bunker from the war or the cold war; perhaps it was, and it has been reordered for church use - or perhaps someone wanted to design a rather unusual church from scratch.
DSCF5413.jpg

The loop in the Neuss side of Düsseldorf soon brought me back alongside the Rhein and I passed two bridges before finally crossing. The first bridge
DSCF5414.jpg

The second:
DSCF5415.jpg

As I crossed the third bridge, a huge funfair was being set up and it was interesting to look down on all the equipment.
DSCF5416.jpg

And here is a view along the bridge.
DSCF5417.jpg

The track I was following wasn't particularly precise (I think it had a fairly low number of trackpoints) and after I mis-read it a few times I decided to just get my Garmin to choose me the best route home, which it did very effectively. I stopped off at Plus Markt for a fresh baguette and for the very important Erdbeer-Schnitte, the first that I've had this visit to Germany,.
DSC00069.jpg

Oh, and this was my 4000th post!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I think you may well find that the little stream in your first phot is one of the arms of the Düssel, the stream which gives the place its name. I once found out on the map where the source was and cycled out to it one route (it is somewhere beyond Wulfrath if memory serves) and then cycled back as close to the stream as I could. It was quite a nice day out. Your pics are making me very homesick.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Saturday 10 July.

The forecast today was for a very hot day, so I decided being out on the bike would be better than sweltering indoors. In retrospect, I'm not entirely sure...

Anyway, I couldn't decide whether to go to Venlo or not, as I may be going next week to visit a friend, so decided instead to go northwards on the Rhine for a 60 mile loop (akin to my Köln trip last week). 30 miles north of Düsseldorf is Duisburg which is somewhere I've never visited and I knew almost nothing about.

So I set off at 9:30am, having swapped my tyres round last night (the rhs one wears more quickly due to a bend I've put in the metal arm of the Trice). Unfortunately I was unable to get the buckle out of both tyres - normally I have a buckle in one when I swap them, but this time it was in both, and even pumping them up to 110psi didn't pop them out (but nearly killed me); the Big Apple tyres are rated to 70psi max so it's a bit exciting pumping them up this hard anyway.

So... no smooth rolling along asphalt today, with a bump per tyre revolution on both sides. I don't have the buckle problems as much with normal Marathons, I need to investigate some ways of sorting this.

Anyways, so off I went - and here is the plot of my route.

10JulyroutetoDuisburg.jpg

The first thing to mention is that I left the Bikeline book behind which has maps and info. Fortunately I had used the bikeline book to draw a GPS track (I couldn't find one on the internet, surprisingly), as I wouldn't have had a hope of following the route otherwise. This bit of the Rhine isn't well signposted - you have been warned!!!!

I had to make my way right through Düsseldorf from my home in the south so it was about six miles (and crossing the river) before I was out into the countryside.
DSCF5418.jpg

DSCF5419.jpg

The north half of Düsseldorf is very well supplied with bridges, with some very interesting designs. This one:
DSCF5421.jpg

...had a most fantastic cyclists' helter skelter at each end!
DSCF5420.jpg

I quite fancied giving that a go but then realised it would involve cycling uphill. No thanks.

I passed a wayside pulpit. This should be an easy translation for most of you. Interesting lack of capital letters, however, which should be on both Kreuz and Hoffnung.
DSCF5422.jpg

After 15 miles I began to think about a cake stop but nothing suitable appeared. Then I saw a sign for the Crefeld Yacht Club, Radfahrer Willkommen, so went down a side track to see what was there. About four fire engines were parked in a layby with lots of burly chaps wandering around checking various air compressors, etc, but that didn't seem to hold out much hope for cake, so I carried on down the track and found the yacht club. I didn't fancy eating there, looked a bit hot and small, so I went off on my bike again.
DSCF5423.jpg

Which was a good idea as after I crossed over part of the docks area:
DSCF5425.jpg

I found my way into the town of Krefeld which had a mighty fine café. Now which cake to choose...?
DSCF5426.jpg

In the end I couldn't resist an Erdbeerschnitte again - they are just so nice.
DSCF5428.jpg

I sat outside looking out at the little square and feeling rather warm. The Schnitte and orange juice helped though.
DSCF5427.jpg

As I left the café I realised that the signposts for the Radweg were significantly disagreeing with my GPS track. I dithered for a bit, cycled around trying to find some more signs, faffed a bit, then realised the signage wanted to take me over the river but I wanted to cycle to Duisburg on the left bank of the Rhine, so cycled to rejoin my route. My wanderings look rather like a drunken insect:
10JulylostinKrefeld.jpg

As it turned out, I would have done better to follow the signs and cross the river because the route north of Krefeld was pretty hard work. Signage wasn't too good although my route was pretty accurate. I was away from the river almost the whole time which meant it was hot - the heat in the wind across the fields was shocking.
DSCF5432.jpg

I saw this nice windmill somewhere (can't remember where), but on a completely windless day nothing was happening.
DSCF5429.jpg

A few sections of the route were shaded and they were quite a relief.
DSCF5431.jpg

As I got near to Duisburg I realised that Open Streetmaps, which I had used to draw my map, hadn't positioned the name marker for Duisburg in quite the right place - I was heading far too far north. So I gave up with my route and put a waypoint in the middle of a bridge over the Rhine and let my Garmin navigate me to it. Which it did, phew.
DSCF5433.jpg

By now I'd done 34 miles on a really hot day and was desperate for some fresh water and some food. But I couldn't find a thing. After another 5 miles I found a dodgy-looking Kneipe (pub) and went in. It was full of chaps smoking but they were very friendly and chatty and the barlady, who had no orange juice or mineral water to give me - only beer, which I don't drink - filled my water bottle with water and ice cubes for me free of charge. I had a 10 minute chat with the chaps but was keen to get on as I was so hungry.

I remained hungry as I couldn't find anywhere to eat. Correction, anywhere that was still serving food. This was Saturday at 2:30 in the afternoon and yet two places at which I stopped, a Stübl and an Italian restaurant, had both stopped serving food. Argh!

In the end I didn't find a suitable stopping point until Kaiserswerth, about 10 miles from my destination (i.e. after 46 miles). By then I was completely worn out and had long drunk all the once-icy-but-now-warm water. I stopped at a fab looking restaurant which had views over the river ferry. By this time my appetite was gone as I was so hot so I just had an ice cream and an orange juice; the ice cream was bit (walnuts and 3 Kugel ice cream and cream and other goodies) but the whole lot came to 8,50€ which was a bit steep, but it was much needed! I filled my water bottle again.

From Kaiserswerth southwards the route became nice, with separate cycle paths across fields, none of this cycling beside busy roads that I'd had from Duisburg south. Spot all the Germans sunbathing on the beach beside the Rhine!
DSCF5434.jpg

I could soon see the buildings of Düsseldorf in the distance and made my way gladly through the city to arrive back, having done 58 miles and really looking forward to my cup of tea. The lady also staying in my accommodation also went to Kaiserswerth today (by S-Bahn, not bike) and says she saw a thermometer there which was reading 37 degrees. It was the warm wind that was a real killer. The hot shower I had when I got home was just marvellous!

Rest day tomorrow, I think - maybe a short 10 mile ride but nothing further. And I won't bother visiting Duisburg again, although both Krefeld and Kaiserswerth were nice, so perhaps I can do an alternative ride which takes the ferry between the two sometime...

Arch

Married to Night Train
My sister bought me a nice leather notebook for my birthday, and I've decided to use it to jot down places to go and things to see in Europe - either on a grand tour, or short trips.

That bridge with the helter skelter is just about to become the first thing I write in it! Brilliant!

it does look hot, but also lovely. The Germans really seem to like their suspension bridges don't they?

Arch

Married to Night Train
To that end, could you possibly pinpoint it approximately on a map?

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Sunday 11 July

Today was a semi rest day, so I thought I'd do a 12 mile loop that I'd downloaded earlier this week, just around Düsseldorf.

I actually ended up doing the first part of the route, extending it a bit and then coming back the way I had already cycled as it was so nice.

11JulytoAltstadt.jpg

It wasn't quite as hot today, I think it's been about 33 degrees, so it was slightly more comfortable to cycle. I'm really looking forward to Tuesday when the temperature is forecast to go down to 24 - lovely!

Anyway, I set off on this route which turned out to be entirely cycle paths. The Germans are quite ingenious with their cycle path building and they put them under roads and bridges and stuff - this was the path going under a road and then through an underpass by the University (Heinrich Heine Uni).
DSCF5439.jpg

The cycle path went past a garden centre which had lots of sprinklers going to irrigate all the pot plants they were growing.
DSCF5441.jpg

DSCF5457.jpg

Large sections of the cycle path were road width and very fast with excellently smooth surfaces.
DSCF5443.jpg

Being a Sunday and in Germany the world and his wife were out on their bikes. I love the way that most German bikes are pretty naff but no-one cares - they use them daily for shopping and stuff like that and are happy with silver-painted chunky Alu-framed bikes with wire baskets and stands and step-through frames (even the chaps).

Lots of the Germans who were out today on bikes were on their way to the beach - beside the Rhein that is. There are several areas with groynes which have cordoned off a small area which is sandy, and they were full of people. Lots of people swimming in the river which must be a bit dodgy if you go too far out (past the groynes) and get caught by the current. You'd be in Holland in no time.
DSCF5445.jpg

I had sort-of decided not to photograph any more bridges as I think I've done too many but couldn't resist this one.
DSCF5446.jpg

I approached the TV tower too. Sorry I haven't rotated this pic but Photobucket takes forever to do it!
DSCF5447.jpg

Then I found myself on a rather handsome pedestrian and bicycle footbridge.
DSCF5448.jpg

And once over the bridge in the Hafen area, there were some interesting buildings. I think Frank Gehry may have designed this one.
DSCF5449.jpg

This bit of Düsseldorf is like a mini Manhatten.
DSCF5450.jpg

The cycle path now turned to large blocks but was still a good surface upon which to ride.
DSCF5451.jpg

I arrived at a huge outdoor fair which appeared to be a French food extravaganza. I stopped outside the Crepes stall and had a Crepe mit Zucker.
DSCF5453.jpg

I stood looking at the water whilst the world went by.
DSCF5453.jpg

DSCF5455.jpg

I'd cycled eight miles already so turned back for home, unable to resist photographing this old-looking section of a bridge. A pre-war bit that was retained, perhaps?
DSCF5456.jpg

When I was on the nice footbridge on the way back I was stopped by a German chappie who wanted to talk about the trike. We spoke for about 15 mins and I said I wanted to cycle to Wuppertal to see the Schwebebahn and he pointed out that it's going to be closed for summer maintenance on Thursday for eight weeks. Argh! I shall have to go on Tuesday, I think, when the weather is cooler, and I don't think I've got time to cycle there, ride the Schwebebahn and cycle back before my lesson, so I plan to take the train there with trike (it's uphill, which is a factor), ride the Schwebebahn and then cycle back. The train journey is just 13 minutes and it's on one of the nice new Eurobahn trains which I and James and the Wows took from Mönchengladbach to Venlo and they were very nice with loads of bike room, so hopefully it'll all go OK.

Oh, and I saw a parked-up HP Velotechnik Skorpion outside a café but couldn't see a cyclist around to chat to, otherwise I would have stopped and compared notes about triking in Düsseldorf.

I got home having done 17.74 miles. I cooked myself Wiener Schnitzel for tea and am now settling down to watch the footie. This morning I went to the local church and understood pretty much all that was going on, which was good. Not a bad day's entertainment.

Attachments

• DSCF5453.jpg
    DSCF5453.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Monday 12 July

This morning's trip was a shortish one, a little circuit over the Rhein using the ferry at Zons again.
12JulytoZons.jpg

This time I followed a different route in Neuss and arrived at the ferry after 10 miles.
DSCF5459.jpg

When I used the ferry last Sunday it was chock-a-block but today it was just me, another cyclist and one car. The other cyclist, being an elderly German chap, had removed his shirt. ::-)

When I was back on the eastern side of the Rhein I skirted around Schloss Benrath which was rather lovely.
DSCF5463.jpg

DSCF5465.jpg

It was no cycling directly around it so I parked the trike up and used my feet to get a closer look.
DSCF5464.jpg

The route back through the outskirts of Düsseldorf took me again down the cyclepath underpass which involves steps, previously mentioned. I carried my trike down all 34 steps.
DSCF5467.jpg

Just as I was approaching 'home' I took a different route around Friedhof Eller and came across this rather lovely building.
DSCF5468.jpg

When I got back it was just starting to rain so I quickly disassembled the trike and stored it in the car. We had a massive electrical storm which caused utter chaos for public transport as trees and branches were blown around. Only half the class made it to the German lesson. It had dried enough that I went to German by bike again and stayed dry on the way there and back.

Tomorrow is the Schwebebahn at Wuppertal!

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Tuesday 13 July

Today my ride was going to be a bit different - in that it would involve a train!

Last night I located the Hauptbahnhof and bought my tickets so that everything was ready. It took me ages to work out which ticket I needed but eventually plumped for a 4,50€ ticket for me and a 1,80€ extra ticket for the bike.

I woke up really early and decided in the end to get the train an hour earlier than I had originally planned as I thought time might be tight today. So I was on the brand new Eurobahn train at 8:10am, having cycled 2.5 slow miles to the main station through the rush hour of Düsseldorf, which was made worse by all the bits of tree lying around.

I got off the train at Wuppertal-Vohwinkel which is the westernmost point of the Schwebebahn, which was a 2 minute ride round from the railway station. I locked my bike up, bought my ticket for the return trip on the Schwebebahn (my train ticket from Düsseldorf was valid to the Hauptbahnhof on the Schwebebahn too!) and off I went.
DSCF5470.jpg

Here are some pics of the Schwebebahn which was just fab!
DSCF5471.jpg

DSCF5473.jpg

(Warning that the train rocks when you get off - which it does. It could make some people queasy, I think)

DSCF5479.jpg

DSCF5480.jpg

It's attached rather like a cablecar.
DSCF5482.jpg

It's a brilliant idea to span the river so that the space is used.
DSCF5483.jpg

The view inside - the seats are on the inside side of the Bahn, if that makes sense, not the outer edge.
DSCF5485.jpg

The turning mechanism at the end.
DSCF5486.jpg

I stopped off at the Hauptbahnhof and had a doughnut, then got straight back on to go back to Vohwinkel.

It was a really good fun experience. It's not particularly fast but is very convenient and the platforms are easy to build - they just have lifts and steps up above street level. The traffic is underneath you a lot of the time (when the River Wupper isn't underneath).

The Schwebebahn is closed from Friday for two months to lay some new track (suspend some new track?) around an awkward corner, so I'm glad I got a chance to use it.

So... now for the ride back. Off I set, with a fairly uphill bit to start and then a significant downhill. I am SOOOOO glad that I didn't cycle this the other way as it would have killed me! As it was, it was rather hard work at times as it was a bit off-road through the Neander Valley (yes, I went through the Neandertal).
Wupp.jpg

Saw this interesting vehicle.
DSCF5487.jpg

DSCF5488.jpg

And this interesting parking place for horses:
DSCF5489.jpg

The quiet Neandertal
DSCF5490.jpg

A memorial to the chap who found Neanderthal Man and to the Neandertals themselves.
DSCF5491.jpg

Although it was only 16 miles back it took me two hours due to the off-roadness. But it was a good fun ride overall, I'm just relieved I didn't do it the other way round...

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Wednesday 14 July

I fully expected to have a puncture this morning.

This is because last night I attempted to get the buckle out of both front tyres (this is when they're not seated on the rim absolutely correctly so that the reflective strip around them squashes in at one point - and when you ride you feel a slight bump). With Schwalbe Marathons this is easy - just pump them up to 100psi (I usually run them at 90psi anyway) and the buckle pops out. With Big Apples it's a bit harder - we've spent more than an hour before now fighting with the things, including putting washing up liquid around the rim to help the buckle to pop out.

Anyway, yesterday's ride included some lovely smooth cycle paths - along which I could feel a constant bump-bump-bump from both front tyres due the buckles. So last night I fetched the track pump and went down to fight with the tyres.

I decided to inflate them as much as I could until the buckle popped out. Unfortunately Big Apples are rated to 70psi max and at that level the buckles were still there. So I inflated the right one more... and more... and at 105psi out popped the buckle. Hurrah!

I deflated the tyre back to 60psi and worked on the other one which eventually, at 110psi and as I was about to lose my nerve, slid into its nice round shape.

As I was wheeling the bike back to its house by the mailbox I noticed - argh! - that although I'd popped out the buckle on the outside of the right hand side tyre, it still had one in the inside.

This was exceptionally annoying as I was hoping for a bump free ride. I was also pretty tired after pumping up both tyres to high pressures one-handed. But I wouldn't let this tyre beat me.

I got it up to 115psi at which I decided I really ought to stop as when I flicked the tyre with my finger it felt totally solid. As I was rubbing my finger alongside the buckle area (to get rid of the dust so it would be obvious if it started moving outward) I felt a faint jet of air. Argh! It appeared that somewhere in the centre of the tyre was a puncture. I couldn't feel exactly where it was coming from but it was undoubtedly a faint jet of air.

I couldn't face repairing the puncture so let the tyre down to 60psi and went inside and had a shower (it's hot work using a track pump when it's 30 degrees outside).

Anyway, this morning I got up, got dressed ready for my ride and went downstairs with the track pump to sort out the puncture. Which wasn't there! Not only that, overnight the Tyre Fairies had removed the buckle. The tyre stayed up throughout today's ride, so all I can imagine the jet of air was is the escape of air between the tube and the tyre. But I won't be surprised if I find a puncture in that tyre later.

Anyway, on to today's ride.

I didn't feel particularly energetic and fancied cycling on cycle paths alone, rather than roads, so decided to go up to the Altstadt again as that's such a nice route alongside the Rhein. It's only 8 miles to the Altstadr so I would decide what else to do when I got there.

14JulyRhineNorth.jpg

I took a slightly different route through the Hafen area and saw the modern art building from the other side.
DSCF5493.jpg

As it happens, I decided when I got to the Altstadt to cycle over a bridge which had an amusing bicycle helter-skelter; not as good as the one I saw further north on a ride a few days ago, but still quite good fun. I assumed there would be similar on the other side of the bridge but sadly there wasn't so I shall have to go and find the proper helter-skelter one some other day.
DSCF5494.jpg

I stopped halfway across the Theodor-Heuss-Brücke to photograph the view back to Düsseldorf.
DSCF5495.jpg

The western bank of the Rhein has a rather bumpier cycle path; it would have been very good originally but tree roots have grown a bit and raised the asphalt in places, so I decided to cross back to the eastern side at the first bridge (the Hasselerbrücke). This is the bridge that has a funfair being constructed underneath it, and I saw this rather amusing sign in English - they need a Korrekturleser (word I have learned in my German course - proofreader).
DSCF5496.jpg

I stopped off at the supermarket on the way home for some ice cream and banana for tonight. I'm off to my lessons in 45 minutes. Probably will have a puncture when I go downstairs...

Top Bottom