Auto-bidding software for e-bay...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Has anyone used auto-bidding software on ebay? Was it part of ebay or was it a separate piece of software? Was it easy to use, etc?

Cheers
Maz.

domtyler

Über Member
There are loads of sniping sites out there, give some a go and see which ones you get on with.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
There are loads of sniping sites out there, give some a go and see which ones you get on with.
That's half the problem. Which one to use. Are they all legit, not spy software or owt. Recommendations is what I'm after.

dodgy

The problem is that you may have to give your eBay credentials to use some of the sniping sites, not something I'd be comfortable doing. You can also get software that runs on your PC. I ditched sniping quite a long time back, because eBay will bid on your behalf up to your maximum bid anyway, so there doesn't seem that much benefit?

Dave.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
dodgy said:
The problem is that you may have to give your eBay credentials to use some of the sniping sites, not something I'd be comfortable doing.
Very good point. I didn't think about that...I have just decided I'm canning the idea. Thank you.

domtyler

Über Member
dodgy said:
The problem is that you may have to give your eBay credentials to use some of the sniping sites, not something I'd be comfortable doing. You can also get software that runs on your PC. I ditched sniping quite a long time back, because eBay will bid on your behalf up to your maximum bid anyway, so there doesn't seem that much benefit?

Dave.

We are now talking about two completely different issues. eBay auto bid works in normal time, i.e. if someone bids then eBay will automatically enter a new bid from you. Sniping does nothing until the very last ten seconds when it puts in a winning bid, giving no time for anyone else to respond.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
dodgy said:

Dave.
why not combine the two methods? wait until the final seconds then put in your maximum bid. that way you avoid pushing up the price by bidding early. timing is important, the later you can do it the better. make sure you're on a fast pc with a fast internet connection.

dodgy

Hi Dom,

Yep, I'm aware of that. I suppose I could have gone into more detail, but the point was that online sniping requires a level of trust with those you give your details to. And besides, if I was sniping, there's no way that I would know what your maximum bid is anyway, so eBay will often outbid me.

If I absolutely had to snipe, I would be using an application that sits on my PC.

Dave.

gbb

Legendary Member
The downside to sniping programs is that they dont allow you to be flexible.

The times ive looked at something...decided i want it, decide how much i'm prepared to go to....to find it goes JUST over the amount i'd mentally made my maximum. That pees me off, then i think i should have put a bit more on it.

IF youre sitting there in the last minute, you can up the amount IF you find its getting toward your maximum, and your'e suddenly prepared to spend that little bit more.
If your'e using a sniping program, you lose that flexibility.

The sniping program only has a place when your'e not going to be around when the item ends.

I dont like the idea you have to give it your details either....it put me off straight away.

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
why not combine the two methods? wait until the final seconds then put in your maximum bid. that way you avoid pushing up the price by bidding early. timing is important, the later you can do it the better. make sure you're on a fast pc with a fast internet connection.

Good idea, but... a person simply cannot react in the same kind of timescales as a computer, if the other person has put in a higher top bid then you will lose as you will have not left yourself any time to enter a new one.

Also, you have to physically be at your computer at the time the auction ends. With sniping you can set it up at your leisure and then forget it.

domtyler

Über Member
gbb said:
The downside to sniping programs is that they dont allow you to be flexible.

The times ive looked at something...decided i want it, decide how much i'm prepared to go to....to find it goes JUST over the amount i'd mentally made my maximum. That pees me off, then i think i should have put a bit more on it.

IF youre sitting there in the last minute, you can up the amount IF you find its getting toward your maximum, and your'e suddenly prepared to spend that little bit more.
If your'e using a sniping program, you lose that flexibility.

The sniping program only has a place when your'e not going to be around when the item ends.

I dont like the idea you have to give it your details either....it put me off straight away.

Auctions work at their best when you don't get carried away with emotion, so I would actually look at the ability to set your limit with a calm head as a plus and then if you don't win, accept that it went over your limit.

The reason that items go for just a little over your limit anyway is due to eBay auto bid automatically incrementing other peoples bids by just enough to win the item.

domtyler

Über Member
dodgy said:
Hi Dom,

Yep, I'm aware of that. I suppose I could have gone into more detail, but the point was that online sniping requires a level of trust with those you give your details to. And besides, if I was sniping, there's no way that I would know what your maximum bid is anyway, so eBay will often outbid me.

If I absolutely had to snipe, I would be using an application that sits on my PC.

Dave.

Yes there has to be a certain level of trust, but the big ones would not be the big ones if they were ripping off thousands of people would they?

Plax

Guru
I use a site called "AuctionStealer". You do have to give them your ebay details, but I've not had any problems with them whatsoever. If you get worried at a later date, you can always change your password.

I like sniping as I always forget about an auction, and it stops me getting carrried away and bid more than I initially want to.

dodgy

domtyler said:
Yes there has to be a certain level of trust, but the big ones would not be the big ones if they were ripping off thousands of people would they?

Probably fair, though I'm naturally suspicious and protect my passwords.

Dave.

Top Bottom