Automatic Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't we see something like this about every 2 years - then it goes away???

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cyclists are very traditional in their outlook and like to stick with what they know. The other thing is what would this give you that the derailleur doesn't? I imagine cost would be high so I can't really see many rushing out to adopt this system.

that looks so overcomplicated and prone to failure its unbelievable

Good point - the state my gears end up in after a wet ride round the canal paths - can;t see all that grit helping those gear systems!

Also - one of the things with "manual" gears is that you can match your pedalling to how you are feeling and the circumstances
an automatic systems will be tunes to a specific torque or cadence - but sometimes you want to cruise along at a slow cadence and just watch the scenery - or change down up and stand on the pedals as you approach a short sharp hill
Neither are probably the authorised technique - but they are more fun!

The big difference between an car's auto box and a similar concept for a bike is that the engine on a bike is human and not an unfeeling engine

it might work for "serious" cyclists - but they would moan about the weight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Good point - the state my gears end up in after a wet ride round the canal paths - can;t see all that grit helping those gear systems!

Also - one of the things with "manual" gears is that you can match your pedalling to how you are feeling and the circumstances
an automatic systems will be tunes to a specific torque or cadence - but sometimes you want to cruise along at a slow cadence and just watch the scenery - or change down up and stand on the pedals as you approach a short sharp hill
Neither are probably the authorised technique - but they are more fun!

The big difference between an car's auto box and a similar concept for a bike is that the engine on a bike is human and not an unfeeling engine

it might work for "serious" cyclists - but they would moan about the weight

i think serious cyclists wouldn't touch it with a barge pole

I was expecting a massive CC thumbs up for this 🤪

simongt

Guru
Don't we see something like this about every 2 years - then it goes away???
Indeed. Not long back, a YouTube post demonstrated a bottom bracket mounted gearbox; based on a Porche design apparently.
'Best thing since sliced bread' etc., etc..
Main drawback was the specifically designed bottom bracket mount to house the gearbox in the first place.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is that a Deal Drive that has escaped from the 1980s?
http://www.zoxed.eu/photos/bikes_drives.html
1701434480911.png

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Indeed. Not long back, a YouTube post demonstrated a bottom bracket mounted gearbox; based on a Porche design apparently.
'Best thing since sliced bread' etc., etc..
Main drawback was the specifically designed bottom bracket mount to house the gearbox in the first place.

I think there's a big difference between BB mounted gears which do have a specific - if rather niche - use, and bizarre Heath Robinson CVT/automatic ideas that nobody will ever use, ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom