Automatic Gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
I can’t wait till someone gets caught in the rain on a dirty road or trail with that sucker and it all grinds to a glorious halt, forever plugged with grit.

I know what I’ll say when it darkens the door of my shop!

In these days of electronic shifting then it would seem perfectly possible to link a torque meter to it so that a ride could ride up a hill using constant torque through the transmission with the gears shifting electronically as required
Add a simple lever on the handle-bars and the rider could easily select to increase the power they are prepared to input

Given the lightness of electronics - this would seem to be possible

How hard can it be???

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Go fixed or single speed, automatic gears. Simple!

Riding fixed has, on two occasions, had me resorting to turning the wheel round. Once for a lower gear, feeling knackered towards the end of a lumpy 600. The other time, to a higher gear, despite just starting on a nasty long hill - the reason is this case being that I'd stripped the thread on the hub, thus losing drive.

Mike_P

Guru
In these days of electronic shifting then it would seem perfectly possible to link a torque meter to it so that a ride could ride up a hill using constant torque through the transmission with the gears shifting electronically as required
Add a simple lever on the handle-bars and the rider could easily select to increase the power they are prepared to input

Given the lightness of electronics - this would seem to be possible

How hard can it be???

Suppose the problem is the advise is to ease off/ pedal lightly when changing gear and not to have the chain under significant tension. Not sure how that could be achieved.

Suppose the problem is the advise is to ease off/ pedal lightly when changing gear and not to have the chain under significant tension. Not sure how that could be achieved.

Good point
Clearly could be done on an ebike but on a normal bike I suppose you would need a clutch like thing
which adds to the complexity and weight going against the whole point

Ajax Bay

Guru
How hard can it be???
I have been thinking on this well before this thread popped up.
But the 'change gear' catalyst is mainly either post or pre a drop in cadence.
The Enviolo system (as referenced above) uses cadence as the independent variable which the rider sets.
I envisage electronic shifting with a protocol which shifts to an easier (or harder) gear when the rider's cadence drops/exceeds a range (specified and input by the rider) say 75-90rpm.
Increased or decreased torque (not power) would 'merely' mean the speed goes up/down.
Maybe there are systems (adaptions of eTap or Di2 assumed) that do this - please point/link to any.
A manual (bars) overide would seem advantageous so the rider can, for example increase cadence while maintaining torque in anticipation in the immediate approach to a hill, and vice versa. Not sure how freewheeling would be dealt with: perhaps if the rider freewheels, the default is no gear change till x seconds after resumption of pedalling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 121159

An answer to a question no one had asked.

As 'serious cyclists' we may never need automatic gears, but when you think about it, so many 'everyday'/'commuter' cyclists haven't got a clue about how to use gears. Also so many bikes come ridiculously overgeared - no one who cycles 3 miles to work needs gear combinations of 46-11, 46-13, etc. These bikes need to come with 22-34, 22-36, etc. instead! Then it's another thing to actually help people realise that these gears exist on their bikes. Some people don't realise there are two chainrings at the front - and have you tried explaining what cross chaining is to someone who really doesn't get it? So maybe automatic gears are a good idea after all!

or a good old sturmey archer hub gear - perfect for commuters. alfine 8 /11 for a more advanced version bigger range

I have bad memories of the old SA hub gears
3 of us grew up together and got our first "proper" bikes at about the same time - i.e. bikes that we were allowed to ride on the road

John had "racer" - i.e. dropped handlebars and 5 speed derailleur

I had a Raleigh elite with SA huibs gears - worst bike I have ever ridden (except - see later and anything similar) - basically a normal bike but with the crossbar curved downwards for the last 6-9 inchea so you could have a frame for a full grown teenager when you were smaller than that as you were still growing
Hence heavy as **** and I had to get off and walk at least twice - sometimes 3 times - when riding to the houses of the other 2 (i lived 3-4 miles away!). After a few years my Dad took pity and we did a deal involving selling the old bike and combining Christmas and Birthday presents and getting a new bike
Which was a 10 speed Peugeot - steel frame and still heavy - but I could get to my friends' house in half the time and the hills just seemed to have disappeared!

Shaun had a wonderful Chopper wannabe - called a Dragster - he loved it - wouldn;t hear a word said against it. Gears were the old SA hib gears again and they only ever worked for a week or so at a time
Main problem was that the gear change - rather than being on a 3-4 inch changer on the "crossbar" - was on a 2-3 foot rod that started up by the handlebars and finished at the bottom bracket - where it linked to a normal gear change cable leading to the hub
any idiot that thing putting that sort of mechanical advantage in the hands of a teenage boy wants their head examining!!!
it just broke random bits of the gear change mechanism after a short time of working.
Seemed to be designed to operate using very gentle subtle movements of the gear lever on every change - Have you met teenage boys???

anyway - so - at the start - 3 of us got bikes
2 had SA hub gears and both bike were carp - honestly mine weighed the same as a main battle tank and the dragster had all the bad point of a Chopper but took them to a whole new level and added a few more

but in my mind 2/3 bikes were carp and they were the ones with SA hub gears

i.e. I am biased against them

Last edited:
Top Bottom