Automatic Rifle, Semi Automatic

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

@Drago +Others, behind where my daughter keeps her horse there is a gun range, it was owned/operated by the local constabulary, never an issue, not used very often. They would ring the owner of the land before any use, they also raised a flag on the day. If they were going to do anything 'unusual' small blasts, automatic fire etc.they would ring several days before, allowing him to move the livestock to other fields. It has now been sold to a private concern, now no warnings, no calls, no flag raised etc.

Last Friday around 4:30pm they started to hear shots being fired, the horses were down in the bottom field, running around after they heard the shots, so they went down to move them, whilst there they could see armed men up against the boundary fence, nowhere near the actual shooting range, this has never happened before. The horses were moved & the owner when down to the entrance of the range, the gates were locked & when he asked what was happening he was told in no uncertain terms to FRO.

Later around 6pm automatic fire was heard which continued sporadically until 9:30pm, is it legal to own an automatic, semi-auto in the UK I thought it was illegal?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Automatic air pistols and rifles are allowed

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Thank you I also came up with that site, hence why I asked here, it does seem that they are illegal they were reported to the council on Monday morning, maybe a call to the Police is in order.
Definitely! Sounds pretty dodgy.

tom73

Guru
They must be some sort of licensing to own and run a firing range. Along with requirements to follow when using it?
It doesn't sound to be operating safely never mind what firearms they are using which don't sound legal to me.
Do you know who now owns it? may help to see it is operating under the radar.

They sound like nice people.

There's a gun range near us on the marshes. We were out on the bikes on Remembrance Day and always stop for the silence.

The Muppets on the shooting range carried on banging away all the way through. There's something wrong with these people.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

I was being constructive air guns and paint guns can sound very loud.
As for your stupid remarks you are now on my ignore list as I can do without people like you.:angry:
Since when do the UK Constabulary use air or paint guns?

Last edited by a moderator:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'm sure you know this but in case it needs explaining, full auto is where two or more rounds are discharged from one press of the trigger. Semi-auto is "self loading" - the trigger has to be pressed for each individual shot.

Full auto is unlawful, semi-auto rifles in .22rimfire calibres only are allowed on a firearms certificate (FAC).

Rimfires are not as loud as centrefires. Centrefire semi-auto has not been allowed on a FAC, since 1988.

Semi Auto shotguns are allowed on FAC for a discipline known as Practical Shotgun, the magazines for these guns can hold up to about ten shots.

There are "straight pull" centrefire rifles which load by the bolt being manually operated between each shot. The bolts on these rifles can be operated pretty quickly but not as fast as a semi-auto.

The main problem for shooting ranges is noise nuisance. A written approach to the new owners asking for a meeting might be advisable in this instance. If that is refused then the police's firearms licensing team may be able to assist.

If you hear fully automatic gunfire coming from the range you should probably record it with your phone video recorder as evidence for your complaint.
The rate for fully automatic is about 10 rounds per second. A good shooter on semi auto can pull the trigger about 1/ second. On some small 22 firearms you can get off 3 shots/second which sounds like fully automatic.

Top Bottom