Automatic Rifle, Semi Automatic

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Since when do the UK Constabulary use air or paint guns?

I read the part was owned to mean they had sold it on.

Drago

Legendary Member
Th police have direct dispensation from the Home Orifice to use weapons that would be unlawful for the public to possess.

The police baton in its varipus guises is a prohibited offensive weapon, unlawful for the everyman to possess in public. CS and PAVA sprays are section 5 firearms, unlawful for the public tompossess at all, yet the same legal mechanisams permits the police to have them.

In the case of projectile firearms, the Chief Freemason then individually conveys that authority to officers trained to a particular standard.

In the case of full auto, they wouldn't use that operationally because its not really of much use in the policing environment, but they're quite lawfully permitted to do so for training or crime investigation purposes.

As mentioned previously, full auto is not legal for public consumption over here. Semo auto in the hands of a competent shooter can give a loose sounding approximation, and blank firing full auto replicas manufacturered prior to particular date are also legal. I doubt it was full auto, or if it was then I doubt it was full auto the public hands - ammunition is so expensive you could spurt out a hundred quids worth in the time it takes to say "a hundred quids worth".

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
With it being a former Police range could it have passed to another branch of the security forces for training, I used to live close to Welford Rd. Prison in Leicester and the sight of heavily armed guards was a regular occurrence (and we're talking 10-15 blokes in bullet proof clobber with Army style rifles and holstered pistols)

I think it is highly unlikely that they are using automatic rifles. Prison sentence for owning them never mind firing them. Plus I would suspect if they had illegal weapons they would avoid confrontation. As they clearly "threatened you" you should add that to your complaint to the police. You could also have them closed down for noise nuisance. A complaint to the council, as stated record. I would also not not take it for granted that @numbnuts is wrong. I have never heard a paint gun. Would that be a change of use? Another complaint to the council. At the end of the day there attitude means you need to close them down entirely as they will always be a problem.

Thank you I also came up with that site, hence why I asked here, it does seem that they are illegal they were reported to the council on Monday morning, maybe a call to the Police is in order.
You should have started with a call to the police. I see it wasn't you that was threatened? I would see the owner of the land about being threatened.

Pioneer

Regular
I'm sure you know this but in case it needs explaining, full auto is where two or more rounds are discharged from one press of the trigger. Semi-auto is "self loading" - the trigger has to be pressed for each individual shot.

Full auto is unlawful, semi-auto rifles in .22rimfire calibres only are allowed on a firearms certificate (FAC).

Rimfires are not as loud as centrefires. Centrefire semi-auto has not been allowed on a FAC, since 1988.

Semi Auto shotguns are allowed on FAC for a discipline known as Practical Shotgun, the magazines for these guns can hold up to about ten shots.

There are "straight pull" centrefire rifles which load by the bolt being manually operated between each shot. The bolts on these rifles can be operated pretty quickly but not as fast as a semi-auto.

The main problem for shooting ranges is noise nuisance. A written approach to the new owners asking for a meeting might be advisable in this instance. If that is refused then the police's firearms licensing team may be able to assist.
A Simi with a worn bolt can become an automatic as I learnt years ago with a .22 I had with a 12 shot mag.
There is a lot of simi’s around and bigger than 22’s with worn bolts.
A fright when it happens first time

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Just out of interest - and I know this is un-pc - but I really enjoyed shooting when I was in the RN. SLRs back then and .303 Lee Enfields in the cadets. I was also rather good at it. Since then i've tried airguns, .22 and so on in civvy Street but not only is it all rather meh, i can't hit a barn door. I tried clay pigeon shooting but it was like hefting a heavy piece of gas pipe around.

I'm not interested in hunting, but is there anywhere I can go in the UK to shoot full bore rifles at targets for fun?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Just out of interest - and I know this is un-pc - but I really enjoyed shooting when I was in the RN. SLRs back then and .303 Lee Enfields in the cadets. I was also rather good at it. Since then i've tried airguns, .22 and so on in civvy Street but not only is it all rather meh, i can't hit a barn door. I tried clay pigeon shooting but it was like hefting a heavy piece of gas pipe around.

I'm not interested in hunting, but is there anywhere I can go in the UK to shoot full bore rifles at targets for fun?

That'd be a target shooting club on a guest day. https://nra.org.uk/home-page/ has a list of clubs in each region.

jiberjaber

Veteran

I've been here a couple of times about 15 years ago when they had open days, it was a subsidised works trip but basically you paid an entrance and bought credits and then walked around and tried out various guns from blunderbuss to super high power target rifles and loads in between.
Looks like they have a service rifle class for SLR.
I think my fav of teh trips was the lever action gun, I think it was a Winchester, but it was quite a time ago now! I wasn't a fan of the shot guns, but enjoyed the rifles, I was surprised that teh telescopic sights on the high powered rifles didn't magnify as much as I expected IIRC!

https://nra.org.uk/nra-bisley/

Top Bottom