Autumn Dangers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

Politicians and Police. Well, they are if you have a Party Conference just around the corner from work!
Why are police on here?. They're not bad.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Thinking about the things you can't see....if you have got used to wearing loose shorts over the summer.....you then get a chilly autumn morning and it brings truth to the phrase "freezing your bo***cks off".

You then know it's time to get out the lycra.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Don't guess sunset times, check them before you ride :blush: I always have lights for my commute just in case I end up with a later than planned finish at work, but today was my first evening leisure ride for a while, thought I had till 7pm before it started getting dark, but was approx 30 mins out with my times & had no front light :sad: Luckily last 30 mins were on quiet country roads & I met no other traffic, but lesson learnt :okay:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not yet. November is when it all starts
Pretty sure I saw one of the rail-scrubbing fleet going through Guildford station on Monday morning. Expect the usual excuses v soon.

Strange...about 60% of the London Underground is above ground. To ameliorate the 'leaves on line' problems, each line has a couple of RATs, or Rail Adhesion Trains. These are usually modified last generation units.
They don't seem to have nearly the grief that Network Rail has, although the RAT to track mileage ratio is a good deal better for LU.

Randombiker9

You've taken my post a little too seriously. I haven't called them bad, just an obstacle on my commute, looking after our politicians, blocking roads, getting in the way of my otherwise clear run into the office.
Oh ok, That's never happened to me luckily (Well only once back before i moved) It happens more with Higway matience guys because of temporary traffic lights and one way road works this is what i hate but you just get used to it and it's not really a danger. I've passed police cars so many times since i've moved. Even when there parked you can easily just signal and change lane and i know this is weird but i always thought police are watching till you make a mistake to pull you over. Well this happened a lot to people back in my previous countries. Holland Singapore and Spain. But that's never happened luckily. :bicycle::becool: as i follow the laws as that's the last thing you want to happen

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Strange...about 60% of the London Underground is above ground. To ameliorate the 'leaves on line' problems, each line has a couple of RATs, or Rail Adhesion Trains. These are usually modified last generation units.
They don't seem to have nearly the grief that Network Rail has, although the RAT to track mileage ratio is a good deal better for LU.
Also less problems with trees near tracks, being so urban and long standing.
I’m the days of steam, there were fewer line-side trees, due to fires started from hot ashes. It had been over 60 years since the end of steam, and so a lot of resistance to clearing these trees and reducing the risks.
They’ve got sanding on most trains now, and a set of water-jetting and gluey-grit applying machines, but it needs just one gust, followed by a regular train at a braking point, and the next one will slide. A bit like riding down a country lane after frost - you just can’t ride flat-out in case you hit an icy patch that you didn’t see in time.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Chestnuts - there seems to have been a bumper crop this year and large parts of the back roads are covered in the mush created by then being squashed by vehicular traffic

Top Bottom