Autumn Dangers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Chestnuts - there seems to have been a bumper crop this year and large parts of the back roads are covered in the mush created by then being squashed by vehicular traffic
That's nothing compared to dropped sugar beet: mushed it's slippy as snow and whole, it's like cycling into a rock!

Randombiker9

Another thing is when other cyclists almost block your bike lock. :banghead: Do people not realise it might block other bike lock? This has happened a few time's and i've only been just able to to unlock it by using my left hand (Not helpful when i'm right handed)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Another thing is when other cyclists almost block your bike lock. :banghead: Do people not realise it might block other bike lock? This has happened a few time's and i've only been just able to to unlock it by using my left hand (Not helpful when i'm right handed)
I don't mind as long as they don't lock my bike up with their lock!

vickster

Legendary Member
i know that but what if you can't reach your bike lock? nearly happened other day
Assuming it’s a D lock through the rear triangle and you’re using a Sheffield stand, always make sure the lock bit is on the outside, so thread the shackle from the inside. Then the locking mechanism is always accessible and you’ll just have to extract the shackle

clid61

Veteran
The wind today tore my mudflap!
FNAAR !

icowden

Veteran
Thought of another one a few days ago now it's getting colder. Watch out for metalwork in the road, particularly when cornering. It gets very slippy /icy.

al78

Guru
Other cyclists/road users with poorly adjusted (dazzling) lights.

Some bike lights can be very bright, but at least they are smaller in area, so easy to look away from to avoid loss of night vision. The worst on the country lanes are cars with ridiculously bright headlights, so bright that I am temporarly blinded, particularly bad if I am approaching a road summit at the same time as a car approaching from the opposite direction, the headlight will momentarily be aimed directly at my eyes. Unfortunately we've got five months of this before we move to BST.

Low sun. Not a problem per se for unlobotomised normal people, but for many motorists it's beyond the limited power of their intellect to deal with.
Driving in Swaziland many many years ago, going up a steep hill out of Mbabane in the late afternoon meant the full-bore African sun was effectively sat on the brow of the hill. I could see absolutely sweet FA. I gently slowed, pulled onto the dirt at the side, and stopped.
6 inches from the bloke in front who'd done the same...

al78

Guru
Low sun. Not a problem per se for unlobotomised normal people, but for many motorists it's beyond the limited power of their intellect to deal with.

Low sun dazzle is a problem for anyone.

If you are going to have a pop at someones intellect, don't do it with dumb stereotyping, which as far as I'm concerned is evidence of low intellect.

Mrklaw

Low sun dazzle is a problem for anyone.

If you are going to have a pop at someones intellect, don't do it with dumb stereotyping, which as far as I'm concerned is evidence of low intellect.

It's something you'd think there would be a smart solution for. Never mind your fancy pants cameras and sat navs, having an automatic anti-sun glare filter that can somehow track across the windscreen would be something I'd pay for (That and Ford's quickclear windscreen - hurry up and have the patent run out on that so others can nick it)

Probably doable with an integrated LCD lining to the screen which is selectively turned on (dark) based on the angle of the sun.

or just buy some sunglasses :smile:

Top Bottom