Average liquid intake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Too many variables to give a definitive answer. Temperature, effort made, climbing
To give an example today I rode three and a half hours. 50 miles and 5,000ft of climbing. 23 degrees on average. I drank 3 litres and needed every drop. Hills make a big difference. Slow climbing speeds reduce evaporation so you heat up more and sweat more.

I reckon I drank 12 odd litres on a 116 miler a few weeks ago. Was 37 deg though.:heat:

byegad

Legendary Member
Totally individual. I drink a lot at rest, always have, presumably always will. Riding fairly gently (Keep it up all day at 10-11mph.) I'll get through 500ml/h and on a hot day, or with a lot of climbing or wind, that can easily double. Other people, including my wife, hardly drink at all. At rest I get through 2-3litres of liquids/day, my wife drinks 1litre if that. We are both healthy, in our 60s and have drunk similarly all though our lives.

doog

I read an article that said weigh yourself before your ride and afterwards....the difference should be made up in liquid..so 1kg = 1 litre.

Ive never used that, I take two 750ml bottles for hot 60 milers (one high 5, one water), one for 30 (but hardly use it) / Today was hot and got through 750 ml of high 5 on 40 miles, just sipping every now and then.
I do however always hydrate stupidly before a ride.

Ive done dehydration / heatstroke before and lesson learnt.....no one will kill themselves by drinking water on a ride, so err on the side of caution

doog

I'm afraid you guys are peddling old wives tales.

The myth of "by the time you are thirsty it is too late" ( quote:"the body is crap at telling you when you need liquid") is just that, a myth. You (and I) were suckered by the advertising of the sports drinks industry, and, somehow, it seems to have stuck. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that thirst is a bad indicator of liquid requirements.

Did you know that more people have died of excess hydration during marathons than have died of dehydration? Because precisely zero people have died of dehydration during the big city marathons over the last 30-odd years they've been running, and people die reasonably regularly through over-drinking. Yep, believe it or not, you can kill yourself with water.

There is a limit to what your body can absorb. This is why "little and often" is the golden rule. We have been repeatedly told that we need lots of fancy "sports" drinks, and we let the buggers get away with that crap, uncritically, until very recently. Luckily there are now more and more people studying this stuff. The rehydration myth was debunked recently on TV in that series where a doctor looked at all sorts of health myths. A few seconds of googling "rehydration myth" will give you lots to think about, but here are one or two links to get you started. And some more. And more.

Those seeking an evidence-based approach to their nutrition and hydration should take a long hard look at what the science says, and not what the advertisers want you to believe.

Its highly unlikely anyone will over hydrate and kill themselves on a bike ride.....unless you have a 5 litre drum of liquid on a rear rack and are stopping every few minutes. There are two bottle holders for a reason, so stop being a drama queen ^_^

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I carry 2 500ml bottles on longer rides. One is plain water and the other electrolyte.

Is there an optimum amount of water to drink per hour to keep hydrated?

I drink roughly 750 per 50k. More when it's hot, less when it's cold.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
I reckon I drank 12 odd litres on a 116 miler a few weeks ago. Was 37 deg though.:heat:

Will be riding he Hotter n Hell 100 in 4 weeks time.....100 miles in 100F heat deep in the heart of Texas. Any pearls of wisdom to share 400bhp? Training rides so far have gone well, but I always end up mildly dehydrated. I used to take SiS energy drinks but found that normal food with ice water (+ the odd gel) is just as good.

400bhp

Guru
Will be riding he Hotter n Hell 100 in 4 weeks time.....100 miles in 100F heat deep in the heart of Texas. Any pearls of wisdom to share 400bhp? Training rides so far have gone well, but I always end up mildly dehydrated. I used to take SiS energy drinks but found that normal food with ice water (+ the odd gel) is just as good.
Just keep drinking because once youre dehydrated in such heat it can finish you off. Wear a cap and suncream. If you can avoid midday riding. I found that to be the hardest bit.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Doing a 100 mile ride tomorrow in 25 degrees. Think I need one of those vests that holds about 10 bottles that I've seen Tinkoff Saxo using on TdF

Did 113 miles yesterday, not very hilly. Took about 7.5 hours, temp was about 16 degrees when we set off, 25 degrees in the afternoon.

I drank 5 litres of fluid on the ride. Train home. I didn't have a pee all day until well after I got home and had drunk some more fluids so probably mildly dehydrated. Tough to drink enough on these long rides in hot weather as you need several stops just to get some more fluid from somewhere

jarlrmai

Veteran
On a 30 mile group ride in the heat i'll get through 2 750ml bottles.

Check your urine colour when you get back in to see how well hydrated you are.

Top Bottom