AVERAGE MILEAGE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
aqaleigh

aqaleigh

psmiffy said:
I aim to do 100km to 110km a day - I have just calculated my long term average and it would seem that I have failed - 99.9km/day for 42260km

Should not have started this stats thing 22tours at an average of 1920

probably obsess now at getting the oberall average over a 100 - who started this!

at 99.9 i'm sure you can raise it above the 100 mark next time

respect to 124miles/205km per day - However, it rather depends on what your objective is, mine is to enjoy whats on my tour (back to the office is normally at the end so theres no rush) - if your bag to clock the miles/cols or whatever and you enjoy it then fair play - however I know from my own experience that when ive done the century plus days ive missed a lot

ps

i almost forgot - the question is wrong - do not ask other people what their daily average is - its irrelavant - ask yourself what daily average am I happy to do?

jags

Guru
average would depend on a lot of things ,your fitness ,the weather,state of mind,i suppose you could average 60 miles if you start early'ish average 12mph for 5 hours riding,smell the roses along the way .
why would anyone want to average 124 miles per day ,i dont understand that one,unless of course your trying to brake some kind of reckord.

stewie griffin

Über Member
This is a web diary of mine where I averaged 300Ks a day (with a 354k day)-
http://www.lonebiker.dk/EHjem/nordkap.HTM

(OK, it's not me ;))

Bodhbh

Guru
Last year abroad it was something like 70miles per day, varying between 50miles and 115miles. I think in the UK the average was about 15miles higher, which was mainly lots of weekend trips, so often had to do alot of practical miles just to clear home/get someplace, plus was less interested hanging about eating and drinking for the hell of it.

I know myself 100miles+ a day = packing up and leaving 8-9am and getting into camp about 12hrs later. Don't really want to be doing that if like to explore, although that includes a fair amout of time off the bike. Seems a difficult balance tho, if I get too much time on my hands seem to get into mischeif aka the pub.

Was aiming for lower mileage this year, but when planning flights forgot the curious relationship between miles on the map and what in fact seems to happen on the clock, think I'll be looking at similar again. Oh well, keep me out the pub!

jags

Guru
User3143 don't get me wrong, you are obviously super fit and strong to be able to cover that type of milage,but honestly that would put me off touring if i was watching the clock.why just not add another couple days to your tour give you more time.

U

User482

It doesn't matter what we all do - what do YOU feel comfortable with? I try to aim for "tired, but nothing a hot shower, good meal and early night won't sort out". Doing so many miles that you're knackered the next day is no good for touring.

samid

Guru
On my only tour so far, I averaged about 120km/day, for 7 days, with 20km/h average speed (as per my GPS), with a light camping load. Did not do much sight-seeing off the bike as it rained most of the time, but took it rather easy.

Top Bottom