Average speed by age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
And Strava power numbers, if you don't have a power meter, are also wildly out.

I did check them on hills once back in the day and they seemed reasonable. I would guess the flat numbers are far dodgier, gravity being more predictable than rolling or air resistance.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
that is only 2.4w/Kg, which is nothing special among reasonably fit cyclists.

For your age and group and gender that would make your FTP higher than 30% of those of your age and gender, and lower than 70%. The highest ftp I can see for your age group and gender is 5.06W/kg. This is looking on Intervals.icu which has a sample of 1194 riders in your age group.

roubaixtuesday

And Strava power numbers, if you don't have a power meter, are also wildly out.

Just checked for a hill I rode at the weekend; Strava gave 208W for the climb and a simple (potential energy/time) gives 197W. So I'd say Strava is reasonable in the hills, where most time is spent going uphill, and most energy expended vs gravity.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Just checked for a hill I rode at the weekend; Strava gave 208W for the climb and a simple (potential energy/time) gives 197W. So I'd say Strava is reasonable in the hills, where most time is spent going uphill, and most energy expended vs gravity.

I think it gets it vastly wrong where aerodynamics comes into it.

Here is a fairly flat (1% average according to Strava) 25 min Strava segment I was doing low tempo on, last Sunday

301BE3D9-2067-4377-9586-8504E115F5C2.jpeg

Here is the same segment 3 years ago, when I didn’t have a power meter. I record the wind speed and direction against the rides and it was within 1 km/h and same direction. I very much doubt I was putting out half the power to go 2 km/h faster back in 2020.

1579948B-B53A-47E1-BAE9-4A6CC7FFD6A0.jpeg

I ride my various (mostly oldish) bicycles for the sheer pleasure to be had from cycling especially here in France where cyclists are given respect (mostly) by other road users and l include HGV's which are, without exception courteous. On the other hand if it is an adrenaline rush l want , this is my other two wheeled steed ^_^
0C38E922-EEE8-4C7F-96ED-E650CB3083A9.jpeg

Sallar55

Veteran
Strava has no idea of the bikes weight , 71 watts (average ) for this ridea few days ago. Bike is probably 40 + kilos loaded up with water and food

Screenshot_20230314-115639.png

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
For your age and group and gender that would make your FTP higher than 30% of those of your age and gender, and lower than 70%. The highest ftp I can see for your age group and gender is 5.06W/kg. This is looking on Intervals.icu which has a sample of 1194 riders in your age group.

Interesting site. I'd never seen it before.

I created an account and linked it to my Strava. It estimates my FTP then at 225W or 2.44 W/Kg, which puts me at about the 35% mark. Like I said, nothing special.

But still well over twice what that above list would suggest for a 60 year old.

roubaixtuesday

I think it gets it vastly wrong where aerodynamics comes into it.

Here is a fairly flat (1% average according to Strava) 25 min Strava segment I was doing low tempo on, last Sunday

View attachment 681609

Here is the same segment 3 years ago, when I didn’t have a power meter. I record the wind speed and direction against the rides and it was within 1 km/h and same direction. I very much doubt I was putting out half the power to go 2 km/h faster back in 2020.

View attachment 681611

I've never used a power meter, so can't provide any similar analysis, but I'm not at all surprised by what you find.

Pretty much all my long rides are hilly, so I'd guess Strava gives at least reasonable results on average for those.

Jameshow

Veteran
I've never used a power meter, so can't provide any similar analysis, but I'm not at all surprised by what you find.

Pretty much all my long rides are hilly, so I'd guess Strava gives at least reasonable results on average for those.

Never used a power meter it mensa test!

Power drops off after 30+ but made up with endurance... 10% per decade seems about right, however if you haven't been at the top of elite sport you have the potential to improve nearer that level.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Power drops off after 30+ but made up with endurance... 10% per decade seems about right,

Where did you get that from? The only measure with that decline I’ve seen is for your VO2 max genetic ceiling. Note I didn’t say actual VO2 max, which can remain the same (or even increase) unless you are operating in elite sport.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Fron the cyclist article above which looked at 10year pro career cycling stats.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/at-what-age-will-a-cyclist-peak#:~:text=It analysed all of the,from the age of 28
Malcolm Elliot excepted!!🤣🤣

Luckily most of us have never been a pro and won’t see that decline. Even with his decline I’ll bet he’ll still be beating the pants off us punters when he’s in his 80s.

Like I said, unless you’ve been operating at an elite level…

Milzy

Guru
When I look at Cav sprinting at his age I think he must be on some kind of HTR. He’s been very close to victory already this season just mistakes setting up. I am a fan though, and don’t want to know about any PED use, I just enjoy what I see and won’t criticise Pog or pushing 40 riders.

Top Bottom