Average speed by age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
An old rule of thumb is 10% per decade starting at 30! So I'm 15% down on my possible max performance!!

I started in my 30’s so every year I’m getting faster. 60 year old in the club averaging 20 mile solo rides at 22 mph but he gets the miles in and always has for the last 20 years.

diegoalv

Regular
For me it is more about the distance than about speed. Sometimes i enjoy driving very slowly and enjoy the views.
But yep, here is some statistics https://www.bikertricks.com/averаge-cycling-speed/ if anyone is interested in that.
There are also some tips how to increase the average cycling speed, in case you need it (i don't).

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Lucky you! :tongue:

Seriously, I think everything starts sliding in your mid-20's. Forty years back for me so I am well and truly slid. :ohmy::laugh:

Not so sure it is as early as that. Most of the top (male) road cyclists are in their late 20's or early 30's, and while some of that can be explained by experience, not all of it.

People like Pidcock &, Pogacar are considered exceptions to be so good at 23/24. Roglic is 33.

Though those ages are a long way in the past for me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Not so sure it is as early as that. Most of the top (male) road cyclists are in their late 20's or early 30's, and while some of that can be explained by experience, not all of it.

That’s the difference between your genetic potential and realised potential. Most of us older folk haven’t reached our genetic limits unless we were an Olympic athlete etc. Thus it’s still possible to maintain what you were doing in your 30s.

Most of us could get faster if we put more time in, and added a suitable mix of low and high intensity.

You could be inspired by this guy

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/biking/105-year-old-frenchman-fitter-you/

Last edited:

abcd efg

Über Member

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Ran across this article today. I would guess these averages are low. At age 70, I can comfortably maintain a 13-14 mph average in warm weather (when I can get in more miles per week).

(edited: Warning! Do not read except for sour amusement!)

https://www.declinemagazine.com/mtb/average-cycling-speed-by-age/

Well the numbers in the article are just a load of rubbish. The numbers below bear no resemblance to reality. Made up I suspect.

616AD56F-7823-49B8-91E9-0D13C3EC6D5A.jpeg

Well the numbers in the article are just a load of rubbish. The numbers below bear no resemblance to reality. Made up I suspect.

View attachment 681602

Oh dear, it would seem that there are no cyclists over the age of 60 , perhaps l should pack it in right now !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What a load of cobblers. I mean just plotting FTP vs age without consideration of weight is stupid. I once had a conversation with an elite female athlete about power over distance. Her absolute power figures seemed a bit low to me until I remembered that she weighed maybe about 60% of my weight (not to mention that she rides bikes that probably weigh 50% of mine)

And anyway, those figures would make me some kind of super fit outlier, not the wheezing trundler that I am.

My own cycling speed probably hasn't changed much since my 20s for various reasons. Although I don't have records to look at, I can remember planning rides and calculating how long it would take.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Yes it’s cobblers. There’s genetics, quality and volume of training. Where abouts you live. I see average MAMIL’s who eat junk do 14 mph.

Alex321

Veteran
According to Strava, which is never wrong, I average ~150W riding all day long, and I'm nearly 55. So yeah, that's absolute cobblers (and you can check the Strava numbers vs simple gravity on hills, they're not far out).

I suspect those numbers are averages for completely untrained people, unless they are just completely made up out of thin air.

As soon as we look at moderately fit people, the numbers will be way higher, and of course as Dogtrousers says, it will be significantly affected by your weight.

Mine is over 210W at age 64, but at 89Kg, that is only 2.4w/Kg, which is nothing special among reasonably fit cyclists.

Top Bottom