Average speed by age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh! You've gone and spoilt it now !
I was doing rather well according to their figures!
Years ago I used to work on the average speed of 12mph if I had to cycle to work on the odd occasion . I used to get to work in time so my estimation must have been close . That was set in varying conditions .
I am over 60 and my average speed seems to have increased since taking up casual cycling again . It does depend on the route and weather conditions though . My favoured route is realatively flat and so I can put on some speed . My other route is a constant climb of 150 ft over several miles . It can be a right drag especially if there is a head wind . Lovely on the way back as I can freewheel most of it .
The road surface can also have a major effect . Riding along on a smooth section of tarmac and you can fly along . Whereas riding on a surface that is like a ploughed field will slow you down and also sap your energy !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
According to the made up figures in the article I'm at or around the average speed for my age, which is good ... but my FTP is 2.5 times higher than my age average. Maybe my brakes are rubbing.:wacko:

Still, we've all clicked on it and fired up some adverts so the author should be happy.

monkers

Veteran
I'm not going to call the figures 'made up', because I doubt they are, but agree that it would certainly be better if they were accredited. This is a magazine style presentation by a college student in the USA. As such the quality is about what you might expect.

For those of us in the UK, including me, who were feeling a little smug initially that we do better than the figures suggest, we need to pause. Those figures are likely not average for the UK but for the USA. Why does that matter? Well the official data is that adults in the USA are twice as likely to be obese as is the case in the UK accompanied by lower activity rates. Childhood obesity rates in the UK are less favourable with boys tending to be more obese than girls and similar to USA levels. FTP data tends to come from those who are physically active. It would be a challenge indeed to gather that data from those who have never performed an FTP test. I never had myself before the age of 63. We should therefore quite reasonably expect average FTP in the UK to be reported as higher than the USA.

I also searched the net a little and found the same article at another source penned by a different named author.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For those of us in the UK, including me, who were feeling a little smug initially that we do better than the figures suggest, we need to pause. Those figures are likely not average for the UK but for the USA.
I actually doubt that. I doubt that they are the average for anything. So there's not point feeling good or bad about them.

The figures given are worthless nonsense. I doubt that there is any real underlying data. They have just been copied from somewhere, which copied them from somewhere else and so on. Eventually they may have originated from a study, or more than likely they were guesstimated.

alex_cycles

Veteran
It's not categorised by age, but here is some REAL Strava data from a credible publication

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/13-ways-increase-average-cycling-speed-144937

It's not categorised by age, but here is some REAL Strava data from a credible publication

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/13-ways-increase-average-cycling-speed-144937
View attachment 623954
Which in itself is only an average of those people who are keen enough on cycling, and monitoring their performance, to use Strava, which is just a subset of cyclists and cannot be confused with average speed for cyclists.

All meaningless data, except it does give people an opportunity to boast that those figures cannot be right because their average is faster than that.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Which in itself is only an average of those people who are keen enough on cycling, and monitoring their performance, to use Strava, which is just a subset of cyclists and cannot be confused with average speed for cyclists.

All meaningless data, except it does give people an opportunity to boast that those figures cannot be right because their average is faster than that.
Not at all meaningless. It tells you the speeds of a specific subset of people calculated using a known algorithm over a known period of time. If that's what you want to know, great. If it isn't then the data is well enough defined to let you know this. It's quite the opposite of meaningless.

Not at all meaningless. It tells you the speeds of a specific subset of people calculated using a known algorithm over a known period of time. If that's what you want to know, great. If it isn't then the data is well enough defined to let you know this. It's quite the opposite of meaningless.
Meaningless as a chart in a thread about average speed of cyclists by age.

Otherwise I agree it is meaningful to a minority subset of cyclists not categorised by age

Incidentally, what a surprise to see The Netherlands, where a road passing over a railway line counts as a hill, as the fastest.

Top Bottom