Average speed by age

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, though of course it isn't that "simple".

And use of the term in the referenced article is yet another indicator of lack of rigour in it.

No, what many (probably most) people understand as "average" is the arithmetic mean. Other common averages in use are the Median, and the mode - either of which would be more useful in this context that the mean.

If the article had been based on any scientific survey or dataset, then the author would have specified mean or median, rather than just saying "average".

The mean is where you add up all the values and then divide by the number of value.

The median (probably the most useful in this context) is the value of the middle entry, so if there are 1001 values, you will take the 500th when they are placed in order.

The mode is the most common value among the entries - in this context, you would group speeds into bands of maybe 0.1 or 0.2 mph, and the band which most riders fall into would be the modal average.

Having said all of which - what I suspect @fair weather cyclist was getting at above is that anecdotal evidence that most of us go way faster than his figures suggest means nothing in terms of disproving his charts. Partly because the people attracted to this forum are mainly going to be among the keener members of the cycling community, and therefore tend to be well above the median (or mean) for their age. And partly just because anecdotal evidence from a few dozen people really says nothing about the average (whatever type) of many thousands of people.

It gets even more fun when you think about average speed. Assuming the rides are the same length, I hope they were considering the harmonic mean
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edit...eed+harmonic+mean&pg=PT53&printsec=frontcover
However, I suspect this finer detail is completely irrelevant :rolleyes:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Tell me more, i thought average was average :whistle:
You're just being mean :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Hi is this also the thread where people fail to understand the simple concept of "average"?
Its a thread where people like myself with well below optimum characteristics are achieving well above average results.

This would suggests their idea of average is well shy of the mark.

When they come of with a meaningful measure that actually seems to correlate with a real average then we will be in a position to properly understand the concept of "average".

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.

Drago

Legendary Member
How Do I Make my Wheelie Longer?
By using one of these.

Sharky

Guru
Turbo?
Cannot do miles per hour as don’t go anywhere? :whistle:
I do recall a team of riders on static bikes doing the London 2 Brighton in about 1987 or '88 and they made it to Brighton.
they were all on the back of an open truck lorry

Stephenite

Membå
I had a very quick look at the articles accredited to this ‘Robert Gibbons’ and they are all bogus. Mostly copy and paste with no attempt to hide it, and Google translate.

Its a thread where people like myself with well below optimum characteristics are achieving well above average results.

This would suggests their idea of average is well shy of the mark.

When they come of with a meaningful measure that actually seems to correlate with a real average then we will be in a position to properly understand the concept of "average".

That's mean.

Top Bottom