Average Speed Cameras for London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
I, for one, welcome our new speed camera overlords. A beautiful case of Boris bodging one in the eye back at the government cuts?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/13/tfl_speed_cameras/

The recent report London's 20mph areas placed the 40%+ cut in injuries/deaths on the success of road calming reducing average speeds from 27 to 17mph. These could deliver the same result without the expense of construction and inconvenience to legitimate riders/drivers of these humps.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
sounds good to me!

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
But where in London does the average speed get close to the speed limit?
Read my lips! (again)

The humps reduced the AVERAGE SPEED FROM 27 TO 17 MPH. These residential areas would have previously had a speed limit of 30 mph. That's pretty close suggesting a lot were going a lot faster. This will, by definition, be outside the congested centre.

Please think before you type.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Most of the A13 !  When I commuted I saw the camera flash every day for cars speeding off the Canning Town Flyover heading east.

Hopefully average speed camera will stop the drivers on the A12 who drive at 50 mph (legally), but still slow down for the fixed cameras.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Read my lips! (again)

The humps reduced the AVERAGE SPEED FROM 27 TO 17 MPH. These residential areas would have previously had a speed limit of 30 mph. That's pretty close suggesting a lot were going a lot faster. This will, by definition, be outside the congested centre.

Please think before you type.

I think the tone of that reply was quite unecessary.

I'll be very happy to see average speed cameras in my neck of the woods.

I have an eight mile commute, half of which is through 20mph 'traffic calmed' zones. Practically all of the unpredictable, bizarre, aggressive, foolish motorised behaviour that I encounter is in these areas.

It's not occasional either - many drivers/riders' desire to make progress means that they adopt habitual behaviour to by-pass the effectiveness of the 'traffic calming'. Some of it mind blowingly stupid, selfish and reckless.

Can't comfortably maintain 35mph over the bumps? The pavement is smoother - drive there.

Have to queue behind other vehicles negotiating a pinch point? Why not take the bicycle by-pass on the opposite side of the road? You know, the one that has virtually no view of oncoming traffic.

Did you know that riding a motorbike on the very margin of the road means you can avoid all the speed humps and comfortably keep the speed above 40? - if parked cars make this difficult why not slalom from side to side within three inches of each opposing kerb? Don't worry about the traffic islands, solid white lines, blind corners, pedestrian refuges and crossings.

Is the speed cushion on the opposite side of the road at the crest of the hill less aggressively profiled than the one on your side? Take the faster line!

Of course, if there happens to be some twat on a bike riding in the road, some biddy with a basket staggering along the footway or some chance that an as yet unseen vehicle is coming the other way you're going to have to modify your behaviour. So get your foot down harder, get up to speed quicker and if need be brake sharper, later.

Despite all the pyschological suggestion that high speed isn't appropriate, all the physical barriers to high speed and the legal proscriptions of higher speeds, without enforcement many people will continue to speed recklessly, even with greater determination in the face of all that is ranged against them.

Before these roads were 'calmed' I was sharing them with speeding motorists. Now I'm sharing them with frustrated and unpredictable speeding motorists. I also now have to negotiate roads with pinch points, cobble setts, granite blocks, white lines and symbols and lumps of tar-mac or rubber with sloping shoulders. My options for a safe line have been drastically reduced while drivers' and motorcyclists’ propensity for pushing me into all these hazards has increased.

Outside of rush hours and away from the centre of London it is possible for some very fast journey times. For research purposes try an Addison Lee.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

London is a very big place. not all of it is full with traffic jams.

Last time I drove through London, pre-congestion charge, I found it quite intimidating (as a reasonably confident driver) at the speeds people would reach around/approaching junctions and found it quite a challenge as someone unfamiliar with the roads thus not able to be in the right lane well in advance by "instinct/knowledge" , involving speeding up just to match/merge traffic to change lanes.

London is not all traffic jams 24/7

OP
OP
StuartG

StuartG

slower but further
I think the tone of that reply was quite unecessary.
I apologise if I upset anyone. That was not the intention.

Quite the opposite. The point in question involved the reduction in average speed from 27 to 17mph in London's 20mph residential zones. BC's response was 'where in London does it get close to the speed limit?' (i.e. 30 & 20mph). The answer was self evident in the OP.

Sorry but as this was C&PP rather than P&L I was hoping for a serious response. I can only see BC's response as ignoring the issue with a spurious aside. One may speculate why. Can you see it otherwise? How should one respond?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I apologise if I upset anyone. That was not the intention.

Quite the opposite. The point in question involved the reduction in average speed from 27 to 17mph in London's 20mph residential zones. BC's response was 'where in London does it get close to the speed limit?' (i.e. 30 & 20mph). The answer was self evident in the OP.

Sorry but as this was C&PP rather than P&L I was hoping for a serious response. I can only see BC's response as ignoring the issue with a spurious aside. One may speculate why. Can you see it otherwise? How should one respond?

I haven't got a problem at all with being shown that I'm wrong. It was the "please think before you type" comment that I thought was unnecessary.

It's OK though, I've stopped crying about it now! ;)

Top Bottom