average speed = no racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@jamma - if the mileage shown on Strava is all you're doing then there is no way you'll get faster.

My 11 year-old did an average 19mph in his latest 10 mile TT test (he can't ride them until next week).

Im trying swmbo isnt budging and laughed when i suggested a new frame ..........

Surprisingly SWMBO didn't comment when the Principia arrived from Denmark this week, just looked disparagingly and left me to it.

However, given it was dark blue like the Ridgeback I'd hoped to sneak it into the shed without it being seen and hide it in there. She found the bike box in the hall before I had the chance to shift it :whistle:

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I thought you where doing 13mph not long ago . Could be wrong though .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
understand you are trying to be supportive, but no he won't. He is way too slow and is simply not fit enough or powerful enough to ever be a racing cyclist.

I can get 10 miles knocked off in a 'one off' effort in around 28 minutes, and I am not deluded, I know I am fat, fifty and f**ked.
Are you the bench mark for us all :laugh:

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
[QUOTE 4349258, member: 76"]I understand you are trying to be supportive, but no he won't. He is way too slow and is simply not fit enough or powerful enough to ever be a racing cyclist.

I can get 10 miles knocked off in a 'one off' effort in around 28 minutes, and I am not deluded, I know I am fat, fifty and f**ked.

Seriously jamma, concentrate on enjoying riding first, get comfortable and relaxed on the bike. Concentrate on getting fluid and fast round corners, learning to pedal properly (there really is a more efficient way to pedal than just pushing around in circles!), not touching the brakes, apexing the corners, leaning the bike over, all the handling stuff. Then you will be steady on the bike in all circumstances.

When you are steady like a rock, you can flow like a river.[/QUOTE]
I am glad you understand....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 4349380, member: 76"]Well, not exactly a benchmark, more of a warning really :sad:

But if a chap in his early 20s, who trains a lot, on a £3k bike, with aspirations to turn pro can't get beyond around 18mph for 10 miles, then he isn't going to be turning pro is he? Encouraging him to 'keep the dream alive' is simply colluding with his misheld belief that he can do it, and possibly even encouraging him to spend more money on 'faster' kit.

A similar age group would be Uni students, the winner of the Universities 10 mile TT this year did it in a time of 19.54, or approx 31mph. Our friend jamma is not going to make up 13 mph over 10 miles.

As I keep saying, I am not suggesting he gives up riding, he simply needs to adjust his aim slightly, relax, and see what happens.[/QUOTE]
Clearly not a 'Super-responder' then! :whistle:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
What an inspirational post .
I was reading flying through the pain barrier by Adam Topham but i think i'll ditch it and read your book on how to give up and get no where :laugh:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Well it seems like i won't be racing anytime because i can't get my average speed high. Fastest average speed was 18.5mph and that was on a club 10 TT on the drops.
Screenshot_2016-07-03-08-35-33.png

Maybe if you increased the duration and frequency of your rides, you would see an improvement?

vickster

Legendary Member
541 miles in 6 months does seem a bit poor for someone with racing ambitions

Well done on increasing your average though. Can you sustain those speeds over say 50 miles? That should be the aim for the next couple of months. You seem a way off at 39 miles in 2.5 hours

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Screenshot_2016-07-03-08-36-46.png

These are my stats for the year so far.
Bear in mind that I'm a 62 year old pensioner.
I would class myself as a purely recreational rider with no real competition ambitions. I have, however, done our local clubs 10 course in 28 minutes.
There's an awful lot of guys, and gals, much faster than me.
On a good day I would class myself as a 'good woman'.:laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

541 miles in 6 months does seem a bit poor for someone with racing ambitions

Well done on increasing your average though. Can you sustain those speeds over say 50 miles? That should be the aim for the next couple of months. You seem a way off at 39 miles in 2.5 hours

It aint a lot is it? I'm over 2500 miles this year and I don't plan to race, I'd expect more than 541 miles in a month not 6 months.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've done 343 and I was off the bike for 3 months with shoulder surgery and still taking it easy, a few more today...and the weather has been mostly appalling! And a two week holiday

Jamma needs to ride a lot more :smile: I'd forget about average speed for now. Get to be able to spend a whole day in the saddle etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom