Average speed on club rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MessenJah

Rider
What exactly do the people who publish club ride info mean when they say 'average speed'?

E.g. Club one might do a ride that is mostly flat, whereas club 2 might do a ride that involves a lot of climbing. If they both say the average speed is 17mph then obviously club 2's ride is going to be much harder than club 1's ride.

Also, when they say 'average speed' are they talking about the average speed shown on the cycle computer after the ride (i.e. mean speed), or are they talking about the speed that they travel at most of the time (i.e. the modal speed)? And does this take hills into account or not?

I know that with my club its the average on our computers at the end of a ride.

gavintc

Guru
Ave speed is always quoted as the speed shown on your computer at the end of the ride. You will realise that an ave of 17 mph demands that you can ride at significantly higher speeds to achieve this average.

r0bbti

Someone once told me that you can average approx 20% faster speed if you ride in a group than on your own - ie if you average 15mph on your own, you would average 18mph in a group. Does anyone know if that is about right? Or wishful thinking!

Someone once told me that you can average approx 20% faster speed if you ride in a group than on your own - ie if you average 15mph on your own, you would average 18mph in a group. Does anyone know if that is about right? Or wishful thinking!
Yip spot on, some even say its up to 30%, riding in a group you benefit from slip streaming/ drafting as explained in this vid.

Lighthorse

In a group, its as fast as the guy at the front wants to ride.

If he's too fast, there will be shouts from behind like "Your leaving us then?"

Lighthorse

If the group splits up your on your own so, I d say 0-30% :whistle:

A cycle club group ride will never leave 1 rider trailing. If they do, you are in the wrong club.
If 1 rider finds difficulty, another, more experienced rider will ride with them back to their home.
If 1 rider is in extreme difficulty, two more experienced riders will stay with them until the ambulance arrives, and then get the bike back to the person's home.

Drafting assistance depends on the size of the group ahead and its proximity.

gavintc

Guru
A cycle club group ride will never leave 1 rider trailing. If they do, you are in the wrong club.
If 1 rider finds difficulty, another, more experienced rider will ride with them back to their home.
If 1 rider is in extreme difficulty, two more experienced riders will stay with them until the ambulance arrives, and then get the bike back to the person's home.

Depends on your club, In some it is Devil take the hindmost. My current Italian club meets with about 2 other clubs, the groups get mixed and you might get friend coming back for you, but most of the time it is a best effort race training run and if you lose the pace, you ride home alone. It does motivate you to find that extra little effort to keep a wheel.

My type of club

Depends on your club, In some it is Devil take the hindmost. My current Italian club meets with about 2 other clubs, the groups get mixed and you might get friend coming back for you, but most of the time it is a best effort race training run and if you lose the pace, you ride home alone. It does motivate you to find that extra little effort to keep a wheel.

Not my type of club

That's not a club run in the true sense of the word. The club I have joined recently [and I have been in several] is very new but already has 200 members. The average speed is the overall average and most clubs run at around 15 - 17mph IME. The best clubs, if big enough run several levels of ability, but no one should ever be dropped. The success of the club run very much relies on the experience of the ride leader and his / her ability to control the speed. Remember, the club run is a social ride and NOT a training ride - two totally different animals.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
A Ride: 17-19mph
B Ride: 13-15mph
C Ride: 12 mph

Moaning Minnies will always complain that the run is too fast of inconsistent in terms of speed. One such moaner had is comeuppance on a hilly course when I decided to maintain an 'average speed'. 18mph up hills, on the flat and on descents. When he muttered about being dropped on a hill, he was simply told be the group, 'you were the one complaining about inconsistent speeds'. He never complained after that!

Top Bottom