1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

average speed

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by rikgrimsby, 11 May 2008.

1. rikgrimsby

rikgrimsby New Member

whats peoples av speed when touring or just a long day ride?

2. jags

jags Über Member

on a fully loaded touring bike i reckon no more than 12mph

3. palinurus

palinurus Guru

Similar here. 12-14 mph, depending on terrain.

4. piedwagtail91

piedwagtail91 Über Member

usually 14 - 14.5mph.

5. thePig

thePig New Member

Most of my tours are in mountainous areas (alps or pyrenees). On loaded touring bikes I normally average 10-11mph.

Although I never ride at the average speed. I either go at 4mph or 30mph.

6. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Touring up to100km 10-12 mph

Day rides up to 200km 12 - 14 mph

7. OP
    OP
    rikgrimsby

rikgrimsby New Member

yeh sounds about rite for me aswell i did 63miles on a bikeathon 2day and the av was 12.3mph

8. OP
    OP
    rikgrimsby

rikgrimsby New Member

and it was HOT and very hilly.you know where you get a hill and its a big one and you say to yoir self f*****g hill,and when you get up it and turn a corner theres another,well it was like that up and donw for about 10miles.
    i hate hills.............

9. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

warp factor 6...that's about 15 mph

10. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I do 50 - 80 miles a day and the speed just varies depending on the weather(get it over with or don't overheat), great scenery(go slow, look around a lot and visit churches etc) and the terrain.

11. I'm not really sure. I never pay much attention to the computer when I'm touring.

12. ransos

ransos Usual suspect

I reckon to do 13-14mph. I base my distances on 10mph, which then allows for plenty of stops.

13. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

I did 52 miles yesterday pottering round a flat part of Cheshire admiring the view. I averaged 14.8 but reckon that if I was carrying a load in cold hilly conditions, it would be an awful lot less.

14. Regulator

Regulator Treachery is noble when aimed at tyranny.

Depending on how lumpy it is, I tend to average 12-15 mph when touring. However, I'm a relatively 'light tourer' (despite being a fat bugger) as I tend to only use two panniers and a bar bag. This helps keep the average speed up.

15. Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie Veteran

I only average around 10 mph when touring, that's riding time and does not include stops.