average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hairy Jock said:
Average times taken from my computer. My commute is not very long and something of a sprint, as for Arran the details (well some of them) are on my blog...

The full details of the Arran trip are now posted up...

Alves

I deliberately got a four function computer without an average speed function for this very reason. Knowing I only did 10 mph average would depress me too much!
I know I can do 40 to 100 miles a day and include cafe stops and breaks depending on terrain, heat and loading and leave it at that.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Surely if you're touring the only reason for wanting to know your average speed is a machismo thing. What you really need to know is whether you have time to reach your destination given terrain, weather and the state of your body at any given time!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
rich p said:
Surely if you're touring the only reason for wanting to know your average speed is a machismo thing. What you really need to know is whether you have time to reach your destination given terrain, weather and the state of your body at any given time!

It is not a competition, I use mine out of interest and I cycle because I enjoy it ;). The speeds I record aren't exactly racing speeds, I have seen enough roadies come hurtling past to know that. I only have one computer, just as I only have one bike, for me it is not a snob thing, it is about being fit:biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I use a computer too but for different reasons when I'm touring to when I'm chasing round the lanes of Sussex pretending to be Lance Armstrong:smile:

But hey ho!

Goose

I've just done the Lon Las Cymru sustrans route from North to South Wales over 4 days and pretty consistently averaged 10mph over the 260 miles, including stopping for breaks, photos, walking up big hills (yes I know, but the view was nice) and over rough tracks. That was on a ridgeback voyage touring bike with 2 rear panniers carrying a tent, cooking stuff, spare clothes etc.
I bought a computer beforehand but in hindsight found it a waste of money as I relied more on the watch and map to gauge things.
Highly recommend that route by the way.

wallabyhunter

Intersting thread, seeing all the varied replies. I have kept a training diary (All cycling: road, touring & MTB) for the last 3 years. Not for publication, just for me, I rate my average speed as moving time only, not stopped time. So if it takes me 8 hours to do 100 klm, but I was stopped for 3 of those 8 hours, my average speed was 20 klm/hr. But if I do my training loop (38.5 klm, I don't stop) in 1:30 then av speed is 25.6. I'm not saying what's right or wrong, but it's good to hear other ppls methods

gb

Just got back from 12 days in Brittany which was fairly lumpy - nothing huge, but seemed to be either up or down, very little flat. And always a head-wind, even riding a loop, it was always against us! Anyway, ave speed was alway 10mph, +/- 0.5mph, over an average of 50 miles a day, with camping/cooking gear on board. This is as per the computer. Usually started riding at 10am and finished about 5pm, with coffee/lunch/crepe/patisserie stops as needed. We gave up worrying about the speed - we could nearly always talk going up the hills, and it was just a guide as to where we could hope to get to each day.

50 miles a day seemed about right to us, did 60 once on an easier day, just how it worked out. You could do 60-80 in a day if you specifically need to be somewhere in a certain time, but you probably wouldn't enjoy it too much - depends on what you want to get out of the trip.

Certainly increased my respect for the guy who cycled around the world at 100 miles a day!

robjh

Legendary Member
A different way of looking at it - on long rides with luggage I generally reckon 10mph including stops. Obviously I'm faster than that for most of the time I'm actually riding but it gives a pretty accurate rule-of-thumb guide over the day.

I too reckon on 9-10mph including stops. That means an 80 mile day is equivalent to a about 9 to 5 'on the road' - about my upper limit for duration 'pleasantness'.

S

Top Bottom