average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
On a recent circuit of Arran I found I was averaging 12mph as opposed to my commuting average of 15mph.

ASC1951

Guru
I know what you mean. I thought of going out with a local group for one of their 'short evening rides'.

Luckily I asked about the pace first - " The average speed will, I am sure, be in excess of 17mph, so at times we'll be rattling along well above evens."

Well, I'm sure they had a cracking time.

CycleTourer

Veteran
punkypossum said:
Flipping heck - my average is about 12 unloaded!!! :ohmy:

I'm inclined to agree with you, these averages seem a bit high to me, we normally average somewhere between 7 -9mph on an average 40-50 mile day touring. Mind you it depends on the terrain and the wind! Our best day was actually in Iceland where we averaged 11.4mph over a 50mile day and that was with a 15mph tail wind for most of the way. :biggrin:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Depends so much on the terrain, head wind, load carried, and of course how you choose to measure your average speed, etc.

Fully loaded I average anywhere from 8-15mph, where 15mph is extremely unusual and probably only because I have a gale force tailwind down a very steep hill. I'd guess on rolling to flat roads with no headwind, around 11-12mph sounds about right. That's using a cyclocomputer that automatically stops when I stop which I would think is how most cyclocomputers work.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hairy Jock said:
On a recent circuit of Arran I found I was averaging 12mph as opposed to my commuting average of 15mph.

punkypossum said:
Flipping heck - my average is about 12 unloaded!!! :becool:

Average times taken from my computer. My commute is not very long and something of a sprint, as for Arran the details (well some of them) are on my blog...

snorri

Legendary Member
Nigeyy said:
That's using a cyclocomputer that automatically stops when I stop which I would think is how most cyclocomputers work.
I think people are using different methods of calculating average speed;)
I would include time spent on meal breaks and sightseeing on foot when calculating my average speed for the day.

ronstrutt

I work on the basis of 12mph for time in the saddle, 10mph for planning how far I'll get in a day with stops, and 8mph if I know I'm going to be stopping to take a lot of photographs - damned digital cameras.

Add 2mph to all of these speeds if I use a GPS unit, through time saved not having to look at maps.

Add/deduct an appropriate figure for tailwind/headwind.

Deduct/add an appropriate figure to take account of hilliness or the lack thereof.

All of which means that I might be averaging nearly 20mph.

Or going backwards!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Two more correction factors:
+2mph when posting about speeds on a cycling forum
+4mph in the bar after a day's ride

Ben

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I don't have a speedometer as it would spoil the look of my bike and increase the wind resistance but I would guess about 15 mph on a good day

Top Bottom