Average Speed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
So I just need to try harder then? :blush:
Yes.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Have they by any chance been cycling for years though? I am certainly struggling to make all that much progress. Sometimes gets a bit disheartening.
I Have been cycling since I was 44, but only doing a lot of miles in the last two years. I am 48 now and I started to see real progress last spring and summer.

I have said it before but time in the saddle made the difference for me and I think the main thing was doing it all through the winter.

I know what you mean about setting yourself goals. I have never focused on average speed (keep an eye on it though), but have just tried to progress with my distance travelled. Its a bit hilly around my way and have had managed about 40km per ride for a while, but last weekend managed 56km on some of the hilliest roads. Probably does not help that I live on top of a very steep hill so I always have that to look forward to at the end of a ride:sad:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I guess it's all relative to each individual as to what's fast, long, acceptable, useless etc.

In all seriousness I am happy just footling along on my bike. I like to see my distance and average speed slowly climb but I'm not fixated on it. I get off more on the sheep, hills and other sights I see along the way.

I do marvel at some of the mileages some of the guys knock out on here.

Personally I think 80 miles a week or 4000 a year is absolutely huge - I'll come in at about 11--1200 in this my first full year since I restarted cycling and in all honesty I don't see it ever getting much beyond that in subsequent years.

Even a semi (nearly fully) retired working life of 10 weeks holiday and 16 hours a week the rest of year just does not give me the time to get out that much.

Maybe its simply because I lack the drive and ambition that I had in my let's call them.....more frenetic years. :rolleyes: :smile:

Or maybe its because I get my kicks in the mountains more than on a bike. :biggrin:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Rubbish. Age does go against you whether you like it or not. There is no way I could keep up with someone reasonnably fit and 30 years younger than me. One has to accept that age reduces your physical ability.

Probably because you aren't particularly fit, but dodging that and focussing on the point you are trying to make, yes age is a limiter, but not to the degree lots of the excuse makers like yourself on here would have people believe.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I just love the challenge and hate getting scalped so probably more down to ego than ambition.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just had a quick look at some recent local TT results

Vet 60+, 01:02:04
Vet 50, 01:02:00
Vet 40, 00:52:45

for a 25 mile TT

10 of the top 20 were >40 years old!

Even if we accept that most won't get close to that, it highlights that age is only limiting to a degree, the largest limiter is your excuse making!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I know a guy who well in his late 60's was riding close to a 4 hour 100mile TTs and a 21.33 10 mile TT. I am a pretty fit 42 year old and if I could ride close to those sort of times I would be very happy. The reason he could do this is time in the saddle. :thumbsup:

doog

I have personally found that my endurance capacity has increased with age. I dont think this is unusual but probably a case of mind over matter. I think you get mentally harder as you get older, something them nippers lack.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have personally found that my endurance capacity has increased with age. I dont think this is unusual but probably a case of mind over matter. I think you get mentally harder as you get older, something them nippers lack.

Spot on, it is not unusual at all, in endurance sports, athletes tend to enjoy longer careers than in explosive sports. But it is not a case of mind over mater.

Top Bottom