Away from Cycling due to Health... Now returning for Better Health

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biking4Heart

Regular
Hi Forum,

New to here, so I'm kind of excited to see where this takes me.

Me in a nutshell... I'm 55 turning 56 in a couple of months. Have been away from cycling for a few years due to various health reasons. Had a doctor's appointment yesterday regarding my BP.... not good. Being placed on a different medication to try and help control my numbers.

My Question: Can someone suggest a good starting point.... Miles and time frame to try and get my BP back to where it needs to be.

If it matters.... The bike is a Raleigh M80 Mountain Bike, less aggressive tires (also have the knobby tires for trails).

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I think that's a difficult question to answer without medical training or knowing the specifics. You might be better off discussing with your doctor what's a safe amount of exercise for you to do at the moment. Cycling will be great for lowering your blood pressure but since you haven't cycled for a while and have health problems you should start off very gradually. Maybe try 4 or 5 miles on a flat route to start with.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd take your cues from your GP. He's the one who should be able to advise what level of exertion you can handle. I'm sure hell tell you to take it very gently at first. Your legs will probably warn before the rest your body!

Good luck with program., you'll be feeling better before you know it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Greetings and welcome.

First stop is the Doc, just to be sure he or she is happy with you starting a new exercise regime. Once you'd go the nod then ride. Spend a few weeks building into it, getting so comfortable, finding a groove.

Then set little goals. A ride into town and back. Doing that journey quicker than yesterday. Bettering your top time between two points on a climb. Doesn't matter what, but you'll find an appealing target and meet it, better it, better it again, and before you know it you'll be like all the other retirees on here who do more annual cycling miles than they donjn the car. You're about to embark on a very exciting, rewarding and fun phase of your life.

The very best of luck to you.

PS, we have a very active (And disgracefully behaved ;) ) community of retirees on here, who are always up for showing the whippersnappers a thing or two. There's dog in the old life yet!

OP
OP
Biking4Heart

Biking4Heart

Regular
Thanks to all.... I get the points you state.

I already ran the idea past my doc & he's ok with the idea.
Maybe my initial question was too vague.

Just as an example.... Is it better to start with a shorter ride with a little more effort to it OR a longer ride of a slower stable pace.
Just some thoughts.

alicat

Legendary Member
You need to get some miles in your legs so I would say a longer ride at a steady pace. Go in circles round the block the first couple of times so you are never too far from home.

Your blood pressure will drop as you become fitter and lose any excess fat.

Good luck and :welcome:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Just take it easy to start with. Don't regard it as some kind of duty or earnest task. Just bimble about for the fun of it. Fitness will come when you get a taste for doing it more and more.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have spoken to 2 people who have returned to cycling. Both were told to sell their bikes by their GP.

Both rebelled.

Both are now a picture of health.

I guess what I am saying is, use some of your own intuition, build up carefully and you will probably know if you are doing what’s right.

My personal experience is from an old rugby injury. NOTHING would fix my knee. Physios etc. Building up my cycling strength has been a miracle cure. Now I am averaging over 260km a week.

Top Bottom