B*****cks...no shower!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LizardEye

Just found out that instead of moving the shower when we move offices, the shower is
being removed and not replaced.

Gutted!

In the two years I've been commuting, my life has changed beyond recognition, a common
experience I'm sure, and there's no way I'm going back to four wheels, but what do I do now.

Any advice from those in a similar position.?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yeah, I don't have a shower. How far do you commute?

Shower before you leave, IMO, and use wetwipes on arrival. You can also go a little slower on the way in, and tank it on the way home.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Baby wipes. :smile:

If you work in IT and have access to the server room, you'd be amazed at the cooling power of a decent a/c unit after a hot ride. I'm not sure how much the servers love it, but it sure takes the edge off the heat.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

If you work in IT and have access to the server room, you'd be amazed at the cooling power of a decent a/c unit after a hot ride. I'm not sure how much the servers love it, but it sure takes the edge off the heat.

That works for me and I can confirm the server room is a most excellent drying roomB)

g00se

Veteran

Ah, I remember the days... "Just checking the backups" and sit under the air con for ten minutes. Lucky enough to have a shower where I am now.

Any chance you can request they install a shower on some kind of sustainable transport initiative line? (I know this would require you working for a large corporate-type place).

Jezston

Über Member
Campaign to get a shower installed. There must be others who use it?

There's a fellow cyclist at work who I chatted to who says he does the wet wipes thing rather than shower. I tried telling him that actually he smells a bit and should probably use the shower, but he doesn't believe me as if he can't smell anything then surely he doesn't smell? Oh dear.

Not that I'm accusing of any of you non-showerers of actually being smelly - although you might want to get an independent opinion ;)

OP
OP
L

LizardEye

It's about a ten mile commute each way, and I'm usually dripping when I get in.

It's only a small company and there's two regular cyclists and a couple of occasional ones, including
the boss which is useful.

I think they will put one in again at some point, just not yet so I'll probably have at least six months without one.

Jezston, that's just what I'm worried about - I work in an office in fairly close proximity to other people and meet clients
quite regularly, so am genuinely concerned that I'll fail to notice any noxious fumes I may give off.

I may need to recruit a trusty test person. There are a number of brutally honest people here, so I shouldn't have trouble
finding someone.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you shower before you leave home, then you should be fine. Oh, assuming of course you wear a fresh set of clean kit every day, unlike some of the stinky blighters on here.

thomas

the tank engine
If you shower before you leave home, then you should be fine. Oh, assuming of course you wear a fresh set of clean kit every day, unlike some of the stinky blighters on here.

Yeah, I used to do 13-15 mile commute without a shower at work. Had a good scrub before leaving, then when arrived I stuck the fan on and cooled down. After 15 min or so I went and got changed, normally had a bit of a splash down from the toilet sink.

I don't know if I smelt, but never really got close enough to anyone to need to worry :tongue:...would still have perfered to of had a shower though.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Wait for at least 10-15 mins after getting in before you go and change, otherwise you'll still be leaking and will get your work shirt all sweaty.

Keith Oates

Janner
Bentmikey has it right, leave home after a shower with clean kit, when you get to work strip off and wipe yourself down then put on clean office clothes, bad smells should not be a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

martint235

Dog on a bike

Nope my kit lasts the week. Have a nice spot in the office to air it (naturally well away from my desk!!!). :ohmy:

I do naturally wear fresh kit for the Sunday rides (and also for my first FNRttC on Friday!!!) :laugh:

Lizban

No shower would be a deal breaker for me. even with a sink wash and baby wipes I amd uncomfortable and get sore well hmmmm 'parts'

In terms of solution
1. try and get a shower installed
2, join the local gym/leisure centre and use their showwe maybe.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
We don't have showers - I keep a flannel and towel at work for a clean up and then shower when I get home. I don't think I stink but luckily I've got my own office so I'm only offending myself.

Top Bottom