B*stard Cancer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

Just sitting pottering about waiting for Mrs Greedo to come back before heading out and just had a text from one of my friends. Used to work with her for a few years and we've always kept in contact. She is is one of the nicest people I know and not a nasty bone in her body. Text her on Thursday and never heard back which is strange. She just text me there to say she'll call me in a few days but has just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and had her first course of chemo yesterday. I'm gutted. Tears streaming down my face sitting here.

Does anyone know what this type of cancer is like and the chances/percentages of someone beating it or is it one of the bad ones.

Sorry for bringing the tone down but I'm gutted and was just about to post one of my usual nonsense filled threads when i got the text.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There is no simple answer to your question. It's pointless quoting the odds because some folk beat the odds and some succumb earlier than might be expected. Survival rates are complicated by the age/fitness of the person and degree of advancement of the cancer.

You could spend hours if not days looking up facts and figures about the disease on the Internet and driving yourself to distraction with the desire to have definitive answers on prognosis, therapy and cures.

Your time would be better spent offering support and a positive outlook to your friend in her time of distress which will help in her fight against the disease.

postman

Legendary Member
My thoughts are with you and your friend.

Be there for her when she needs help .

My ex is suffering again saw her Thursday .

All the best .

OP
OP
G

Greedo

vernon said:
There is no simple answer to your question. It's pointless quoting the odds because some folk beat the odds and some succumb earlier than might be expected. Survival rates are complicated by the age/fitness of the person and degree of advancement of the cancer.

You could spend hours if not days looking up facts and figures about the disease on the Internet and driving yourself to distraction with the desire to have definitive answers on prognosis, therapy and cures.

Your time would be better spent offering support and a positive outlook to your friend in her time of distress which will help in her fight against the disease.

I know what you're say mate. That's why I've not even googled it as I don't believe in self diagnosis and reading shite about it on the internet. Was just wondering as I know some cancers are worse than others. Never really knew anyone close to me that's had cancer. Was just a bit shocked earlier and probably wouldn't have posted if i wasn't alone at the time and on here about to post my usual drivel

OP
OP
G

Greedo

postman said:
My thoughts are with you and your friend.

Be there for her when she needs help .

My ex is suffering again saw her Thursday .

All the best .

Cheers mate

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Bad as it is, statistically, it has to happen to someone. It always happens to someone else, except that that someone else is now your friend. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but as I say, unfortunately it has to happen to someone.

As long as she keeps plugging away and doesn't feel sorry for herself and you are there for her, then she, and you, can't ask for more than that.

I understand more than most despite my message as I was diagnosed with Leukaemia at the age of 16.

I asked myself the most cliched thing possible at the time,

'Why me?'

And my Mum simply said

'Why not you?'

As I say, unfortunately it happens, but that simple exchange of words meant that I was very robust about it all.

You can shrivel up, or you can say 'Sod it!' and carry on, and most people do!'

Mycroft

first up, I've had Leukaemia twice now, what luck! and nursed someone close (successfully) through cancer/chemo.

I've had so many percentage of success rates quoted at me over the years, from very high, to very low, so I stick to what first popped into my head 50/50.

either you live, or either you die.

so really the same odds as ever single day of your life.

cancer basically comes in 2 forms, the type you can cut off and the type you can't, after that its all about it spreading. if its in the body/torso IME its not going to be fun, but that just means a little more perseverance and a little more luck. and the luck initially boils down to catching it early (if you find a lump or growth GET IT CHECKED!)

so if shes on chemo already that sounds good, as miserable a time as she will be having, its still good!

don't get down until you have all the facts, and see how the chemo helps things along.

cancer is a big kick up the backside, some people crumple, some fight like wildcats, some can cope physically and mentally with the chemo and some can't, TLC and patients help.

its a reminder that life is precious and SHORT.

so maybe she will recover and be healthy (I hope so) or maybe she will only get a few more years (none of us can tell) but making every day count for something is what its all about.

and that goes for the non cancer patients as well :blush:

-

I hope the chemo gets to work on the illness and not the patient, and i hope she does well.

ps, its sometimes easier for the patient, because they know how they feel minute to minute, the rest of us just look on and worry. so she might actually be ok and adjusted to the whole thing, I know I was most of the time.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Steve jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, the prognosis for that is dire. Yet that was 6 years ago and he is still alive, all be it not in his best condition.

I hope your friend has a good and uncomplicated recovery.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
If you can handle the cold, hard facts, would recommend this web page:
http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/

Has been of great help to me and my father before he died, but from a knowledge point of view. Just because the chances of dying are low, doesn't mean that it won't happen. And flip side too.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As some one who has lost both parents to cancer and a wife who had childhood cancer my heartfelt sympathies go out to her and to anyone who is a similar predicament.

Speedy recovery and lifelong remission .

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hi Greedo I am very sorry to hear about your friend, and I hope it works out ok.

My father got lung cancer a few years ago and I did all the research I could at the time. I found that the American had the best and most extensive research and information. Perhaps you could take a look at this.

Coco

Not good news, but do what you do best on here - give her a good laugh when she needs it. Keep her spirits up and try not to dwell on the disease too much.

Top Bottom