B3: Boris's Barmy Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
A bridge over Swindon too, that's a necessity in reality.

Tin Pot

Guru
I use the Chunnel a fair amount. It’s just like any railway. Everyone wants to use it at the same time, no one wants to use it off peak.

The cause? 9-5 presentee mentality and school holidays.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This week the DUP are asking for a bridge or tunnel betwixt Norn Iron and Scotland now.
Got a link? I thought there were dumped explosives and radioactive waste there which meant a fixed link would need some very expensive clean-up (which we probably should do anyway, as mixing those doesn't sound likely to end in happy fun times, but I can't see May's government OKing the spending).

Tim Hall

Got a link? I thought there were dumped explosives and radioactive waste there which meant a fixed link would need some very expensive clean-up (which we probably should do anyway, as mixing those doesn't sound likely to end in happy fun times, but I can't see May's government OKing the spending).
"There" being where exactly?

Tin Pot

Guru
You want crazy? How about a bridge three times that length, over the sea that turns into tunnel halfway through! Now that would be...oh, wait:

Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge
http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/ec...done-mega-hong-kong-zhuhai-macau-bridge?amp=1

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I use the Chunnel a fair amount. It’s just like any railway. Everyone wants to use it at the same time, no one wants to use it off peak.

The cause? 9-5 presentee mentality and school holidays.

Yebbut it's a booking system, you don't just turn up when you fancy so they should be able to cope. The real cause: piss poor planning.

My money is on the bridge. Unless the ship is full of explosives.
They don't have to destroy it. Just damage it, or appear to, enough to make closure necessary. Sure there is plenty of truck/bridge examples of it.
I was listening to radio 2 on my way to york ( only station i could find while doing 70mph) There was talk of there being much larger bridges in china etc and that ships dont bump into stationary objects they bump into other ships .
The larger ships are much like planes , on auto pilot . The captain gets involved if he needs too .
Not in my experience. And theres a reasonable amount of hitting other stuff happens when not using autopilot, close maneuvering within a river/port with a pilot onboard.

There has been trials of remote piloting a tug. But as it was done remotely, by a human, I can't help but wonder how it tied itself up.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
They don't have to destroy it. Just damage it, or appear to, enough to make closure necessary. Sure there is plenty of truck/bridge examples of it.

Not in my experience. And theres a reasonable amount of hitting other stuff happens when not using autopilot, close maneuvering within a river/port with a pilot onboard.

There has been trials of remote piloting a tug. But as it was done remotely, by a human, I can't help but wonder how it tied itself up.
I have a boat myself and have hit loads of stuff . My mate hit an island once but it was dark ......... although i was ahead of him and the trees in the moonlight gave the game away there was an island ahead .
Hmmmmmm this stuff is more complicated than i thought .

Top Bottom