Baby elephant alert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Ponders how hard it is to get to Whipsnade, on public transport, and then back again, but this time carrying a rather large and squirmy holdall...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
What you need, Arch, is someone who lives within an easy drive of :
a) Whipsnade
:blush: A major railway station on the East Coast Main Line

who would help carry the B. E. and not grass you up (as long as he could come and play with the B.E. from time to time.

*coughs in a pointed fashion*

Pete

Cute.

I remember once passing a crowd of people spilling onto the road in the middle of Bradford (Bradford's a lot more get-at-able than Whipsnade, eh, Arch!) and was surprised to discover a baby elephant in their midst, being led through the city centre. I think it was to be the star attraction in a carnival or funfair or some such. I hope the elephant didn't suffer for its brief celebrity. But - alas! this was in my student days so over 30 years ago...

longers

Legendary Member
I think you may also need somebody who could be a bit more discreet than discussing potential pachyderm escape routes on a public forum :blush:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
longers said:
I think you may also need somebody who could be a bit more discreet than discussing potential pachyderm escape routes on a public forum :blush:

Oh yeah. Can I borrow a small forklift / crane off anyone?:biggrin:

Don't see the problem. It's not like anyone would be able to find out my real name anyway! Except for Admin, and he can probably play with the BE too. Sorted.:ohmy:

It is within cycling distance of Luton Station.....

I can lend you a Cyclone trailer which is basically a holdall on wheels....

Otherwise just be bold,,,,

Claim you are a social worker and that you are taking the baby into "care"

stevenb

I live in Dunstable.....the zoo is approx 4 miles from my home.

When I was a young nipper snapper one of my work experience stints was at Whipsnade Zoo....it was fantastic.
I went there in May last year.
The Lemur display is excellent too.
I saw the elephants being lead from the pens trunks holding tails and the keepers lead them to the display area.....they are so well looked after....they love it.
Luotn it the nearest train station.
But a bus runs to Dunstable.
I think a village bus runs from Dunstable to Whipsnade too.....but the walk or ride is very pleasant indeed.
:blush:

Pete

Stevenage station seems to be within range too - about 15 miles, and more convenient for the York trains I guess. However there seem to be quite a few hills around there, and I suppose a 103Kg trailer might be quite an effort!

Incidentally, we're looking at an Asiatic Elephant there (Elephas maximus): easily recognised by the smaller ears, bumps on the forehead, and lack of tusks on the adult female. The females are often quite tame but the bulls can be aggressive and dangerous when adult. But - I was forgetting - this is your subject, so you'll know all this already Arch! :blush:

p.s. My son has worked amongst them in Sri Lanka.

stevenb

Whipsnade is on top of a hill.
there are two ways to the zoo and both involve hilsl I'm afraid.
the worst being Bison hill.....apptly named as the Bisons pen is on the hillside.
I thinks it's a 1 in 3 climb.
teh other way has a hill going across the top of Dunstable Downs (spectacular views) and then loads down before you need to go up another hill into the village.
A 103kg trailer would be very very difficult indeed......more like get off and push I'm afraid.:blush:

byegad

Legendary Member
I think we should warn the zoo that there is a potential kidnap (should that be baby-elephantnap?) in the offing.
We should also start a campaign for the well being of elephants employed in car washes!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
stevenb said:
Whipsnade is on top of a hill.
there are two ways to the zoo and both involve hilsl I'm afraid.
the worst being Bison hill.....apptly named as the Bisons pen is on the hillside.
I thinks it's a 1 in 3 climb.
teh other way has a hill going across the top of Dunstable Downs (spectacular views) and then loads down before you need to go up another hill into the village.
A 103kg trailer would be very very difficult indeed......more like get off and push I'm afraid.:sad:

If we're getting a baby elephant in a trailer down a hill, I think it would be far too easy!:biggrin: Stopping at the bottom could be something of an issue.:angry::eek:;)

TheDoctor said:
If we're getting a baby elephant in a trailer down a hill, I think it would be far too easy!:biggrin: Stopping at the bottom could be something of an issue.:angry::eek:;)

Don't the ears act as a wind brake slowing down the spped?

Top Bottom