Back on the saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jem29

Jem29

Hi glad your enjoying getting out riding the sunshine makes it better , Do you know any cyclists who could show you how to change a tyre . If not YouTube will have plenty of clips to show you search GCN they will have tutorials
You will need a few basic tools tyre levers and pump . Then practice at home in the warm so your prepared if the worst happens when out riding
Yes I do have a couple of friends who cycle and are very knowledgeable so good advice thank you. Practicing at home makes sense then I can be prepared and confident when out and about 👍

OP
OP
Jem29

Jem29

if you are anywhere near wigan , i will gladly go through it with you, socially distancing of course :okay:
That’s very kind of you, unfortunately not close to Wigan.. I’m the furthest south you can go! West Sussex 😁

OP
OP
Jem29

Jem29

Make sure you are carrying a pump, repair kit , spare tubes and spanners if needed, to remove the wheels.
Even if you can't fix it yourself, you can always flag down a passing cyclist to assist. Myself and most of the people on here will gladly stop to help. if flagged down.
Thanks, I’ll do that.. at least I’ll have the kit if I struggle and people are generally helpful. I’d definitely stop and assist. At least I’ll have 2 options, change myself or/ask for help 😁

OP
OP
Jem29

Jem29

It's a simple process if you follow a set sequence. I'll go up to step five.

1. Find somewhere safe to do the repair, even if it involves carrying the bike for half a mile.

2. Change gear to the smallest ring on the front and back (N/A for front tyre changes).

3. Make sure there is no air left in the tyre/tube you are going to replace.

4. Make sure you carrying spares and tools.

5. Use your 4G mobile to watch a tube video on how to replace a tyre/tube which you really should have watched and practised before you ever went out on your bike.
Thank you, good steps to follow. You tube is my go to for a lot of things and I’m sure there are plenty of videos on this 👍

OP
OP
Jem29

Jem29

Hi Jem!
Some great advice here, and if you can, maybe watch some YouTube videos, and practice at home before you would need to do it out on the road.
It’s not a dark art, but there are some tricks which help get the tyre back on, but practise is definitely worthwhile.
:welcome::bicycle:
Thank you.. yes some really great advice. I really appreciate everyone’s responses. I think I’ll buy the kit, practice at home and watch some you tube videos. Also ask for a little help from my friends 😁

Thank you.. yes some really great advice. I really appreciate everyone’s responses. I think I’ll buy the kit, practice at home and watch some you tube videos. Also ask for a little help from my friends 😁
It may be worth buying a spare inner tube too, as it’s often nicer to swap a punctured one for the spare, and repair at home.
👏👍😃

Says someone who has never patched a tube without taking the wheel off?
😀👏actually, says someone who had a snakebite recently and had 2 scabs not stick, rendering the no-wheel-off preferred method not practical, and then the tube replacement available, and quick! 🤪

DRM

Guru
Park Tool are better on real bike mechanicals than the General Cycle-racing Nuts.
That's why I added 3x Park Tool videos first, but GCN do some good videos for people who don't have any bike mechanical knowledge too, both platforms have valid info, also RJ The Bike Guy, has a good You Tube channel full of info

Lovacott

Über Member
It may be worth buying a spare inner tube too, as it’s often nicer to swap a punctured one for the spare, and repair at home.

I carry a tube and a puncture kit, but the last two punctures I've had have self sealed with slime. I've had to stop both times to put in air, but that's all. Both were caused by blackthorns.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
@Jem29 One good tip is to always carry one or two spare tubes. (as well as a kit) That way you don't have to repair the puncture on the road as such. Find the offending article, thorn, glass or flint and just replace the tube. Repair the tube in the comfort of your home. If it is raining or wet it is almost impossible to get patches to stick.

Top Bottom