Back on the saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jem29

Hi, I purchased my bike back in October last year after waiting 3 months due to the rush in bike sales in the summer ^_^ I’ve only been out a few times as I blamed the weather.. covid and various other excuses. I think I’ve been nervous getting on the saddle in my adult life. I went out last night and the nerves disappeared, it was glorious! I’m looking forward to getting advise and guidance as I’m sure they’ll be things that crop up on my journey. First one being how do you change a tyre! My worst nightmare and no one to rescue me :rolleyes:

13 rider

Guru
Hi glad your enjoying getting out riding the sunshine makes it better , Do you know any cyclists who could show you how to change a tyre . If not YouTube will have plenty of clips to show you search GCN they will have tutorials
You will need a few basic tools tyre levers and pump . Then practice at home in the warm so your prepared if the worst happens when out riding

Sharky

Guru
Make sure you are carrying a pump, repair kit , spare tubes and spanners if needed, to remove the wheels.
Even if you can't fix it yourself, you can always flag down a passing cyclist to assist. Myself and most of the people on here will gladly stop to help. if flagged down.

DRM

Guru

View: https://youtu.be/hdjB_wHW0-Q

View: https://youtu.be/58STtUM-Wow

View: https://youtu.be/eqR6nlZNeU8

Have a look at the above, then practice at home so you’ll be confident in repairing a puncture when it happens on a ride, oh and :welcome:

Hi Jem!
Some great advice here, and if you can, maybe watch some YouTube videos, and practice at home before you would need to do it out on the road.
It’s not a dark art, but there are some tricks which help get the tyre back on, but practise is definitely worthwhile.
:welcome::bicycle:

Lovacott

Über Member
First one being how do you change a tyre! My worst nightmare and no one to rescue me :rolleyes:

It's a simple process if you follow a set sequence. I'll go up to step five.

1. Find somewhere safe to do the repair, even if it involves carrying the bike for half a mile.

2. Change gear to the smallest ring on the front and back (N/A for front tyre changes).

3. Make sure there is no air left in the tyre/tube you are going to replace.

4. Make sure you carrying spares and tools.

5. Use your 4G mobile to watch a tube video on how to replace a tyre/tube which you really should have watched and practised before you ever went out on your bike.

Lovacott

Über Member
Not essential. There are tons of people who will walk home and take the bike to a shop and pay £15 a throw for repair.

30 years ago when I lived in Bushey, there was a little LBS in a corner shop where I used to buy bits and bobs (tubes, bearings, tyres and so on).

His shop ceiling had hangers where all the display bikes were shown (look don't touch) and his limited shop floor space was occupied with bikes in for repair. All of them had tags on the handlebars with the issue and price written in blue Biro like "wobbly back wheel, £18.50", "noisy chain, quote price to 01923 ###2#7".

By far the most common was the tag with "front/rear puncture, £10".

I remember saying to the guy one day "do people really pay £10 for a puncture repair" and he told me that it was actually his biggest earner.

Most people paid him with cash and didn't need a receipt or warranty or anything because they knew he would put anything right within a reasonable time frame.

So although I would never pay someone money to fix a puncture, I'm sort of glad that there are people on this planet with more money than sense.

People paying £10 for puncture repairs gave me a local shop where I could buy spare inner tubes, bearings etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom