Back to riding again with some physical concerns?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

packey3

I have finally ignored the nay sayers and climbed back onto a bike. Amazingly I am doing better than I thought and now I would like to consider going back to a road style bike. My concerns are this I have a Spinal cord injury from an infection along with a type RA. I am currently using an old school hybrid from the mid 90's that I reconditioned. My concern with the road bike of my past are the extreme stiffness as well as the angle and arch of the back and neck. I have looked at a gravel or adventure bike but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas. I am a 6 ft tall rider that is about 265 lbs.

As someone with a pretty knackered lower spine, I was always worried about what a road bike would do to my back. Although I no longer ride drops, I didn't find then any problem for my back, at all. A certain amount of cranking the neck back was something new to me, as this was also essentially my first time with a proper road bike. I didn't like that. The bike now wear flat bars and suits me better, but it is still a proper stiff road frame with skinny tyres. A different injury is now leading me away from the raodie, but i'd say, with due care, give it a go. Even given your height, I'd also say that less weight would be a goal also, as this can only help your spine and core strength. And that is a great help if on drops.
Additionally: screw the nay sayers!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why the desire to ride drop bars?
I have just had to say goodbye to my flatbar hybrid commuter due to a cracked frame. Despite having some excellent drop bar bikes in my fleet the hybrid is still my all time favourite bike and is sorely missed. It was the bike of choice for utility errands or 100+ mile epic adventures. A bike doesn't have to have drop bars to be a good bike despite what some of the snobs seem to suggest!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
i've always though the whole rounded back, with neck cranked, position looks very unfriendly to the spine.

Not to mention compressing the lungs by hunching the shoulders - surely that can't help efficient oxygen supply?

I've tried drops a couple of times never liked it - been a semi upright 'flatty' hybrid rider ever since - i like seeing what's around me too .

I'm guessing the dropped riding position makes for maximum speed? Which is why racers adopt it ?

Is maximum speed what you need though ? Why not stay with flats, and stay comfortable?

Also, do you do any kind of conditioning bodywork to help with your spine mobility, extension, alignment, and recovery?

I've practiced yoga regularly for over 25 years now - its stopped me from getting a knackered back in a very physical day job, and has made me far more aware of overall posture, and biomechanics. something like that might help ??

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Don't forget that you can have drops as high as you like , steerer tube and stem permitting. Forex on my tourer the tops of my drops are above saddle level and it's lovely for bimbling along enjoying the view And I get to keep the various hand positions.

OP
OP
packey3

packey3

I currently do core conditioning to build strength in my back and neck. I guess the ex roadie in me remembers the feel of being tucked in and completing a 100 mile ride averaging 18-20 mph. Now I do good to average 10 mph.. beyond that a dropped bar provides for multiple hand positions on longer rides as well as a better stance to cut through wind. Honestly my desire is to get back to the point of being able to take a 50 - 100 mile ride . I know that their are pros and cons to both styles and honestly I am looking for advice. I guess my complaint on the Hybrid is poor road manners and honestly I think it is the way my body and weight positions on the bike throwing to much weight to the rear and not enough up front.

Another here with a knackered spine , IMG_0303 2.JPG
I am riding a cx bike with drops, not as often as I would like to ride but im still getting out on it

byegad

Legendary Member
A recumbent would solve it all.

12boy

Guru
Good for you, packey3, dcbassman and roadrash. Here`s a couple of ideas....
Try some moustache bars or north road bars for more hand positions. I do much better with a handshake type grip than a palm down one, and moustache bars, which are kinda like flattened drop bars do that.
Try tilting the saddle up a tiny amount to throw your weight more on your butt than palms.
Do your stretches and work that core as much as you can in whatever ways your doc or rehab guy says you should.
Make saddle changes up and down, fore and aft and saddle angle in little increments. I always have allen wrenches with me if the change was wrong or too much.
Ride on tires a little softer to smooth the ride.
When it isn`t fun anymore, quit for the day. Then you will look forward to the next ride. Best wishes, Ron

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Surgeon says I now need another op .....I refused

I'm not surprised - far too risky. I had the choice after my accident - "we can have you walking tomorrow, but, as you know, operations go wrong and as you can move your feet now, you might not tomorrow". My choice was surgery or flat on my back for over 6 weeks - chose the latter and glad I did as I still have flexibility.

To the OP - have you thought about a full suspension MTB - I find that the most comfortable bike now, as there is too much vibration in my spine from a road bike.

Top Bottom