Back to riding again with some physical concerns?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
After my back surgery L4/L5 I have found an upright position far more uncomfortable than on my drop bar bikes. My guess is that the upright position is compressing things that should not be compressed so much. My utility bike is still flatbar, but all my other bikes I have a slammed drop bar. Try it, you might be surprised, although I would say go gentle at first.

I swerved the metal work, although L1 is wedge shaped now.

I'm not surprised - far too risky. I had the choice after my accident - "we can have you walking tomorrow, but, as you know, operations go wrong and as you can move your feet now, you might not tomorrow". My choice was surgery or flat on my back for over 6 weeks - chose the latter and glad I did as I still have flexibility.

To the OP - have you thought about a full suspension MTB - I find that the most comfortable bike now, as there is too much vibration in my spine from a road bike.

I honestly wish I hadn't had it done ,

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Suffered a quite severe spinal cord that injury in the neck through C3-5 in April 2016. Six weeks flat on my back on the most uncomfortable mattress imaginable. Some episodes of intense pain the details of which I won’t bore you with. Had to learn to walk again. Told by my Consultant to stick to a hybrid if I had to ride again. Few months later did a Nick Skelton and totally ignored his advice!

There were some initial problems. Having to stop every few miles to shake out the pins and needles in both hands being one of them! And getting my leg over the top tube must have looked like one of those enormous
genetically breed boar pigs trying to mount a sow. But I persevered and all those issues have now disappeared. Strangely, I actually find riding my quite aggressive CAAD10 more comfortable than a hybrid or the more relaxed Synapse I bought as a compromise.

Riding a bike makes me feel almost completely normal again. No balance issues, no pain, and my confidence has returned; in fact I would argue that I’m now a better cyclist than pre accident in that I made a conscious effort to improve my bike handling skills when I first got back in the saddle.

Wish the same could be said for all the other stuff I do. Walking is still a little painful and associated with some balance issues. If I’m walking over uneven ground I always bring one of those extendable poles with me. Swimming is hard and running is out of the question at the moment (although I’m working on it!).

But we’re all different, so this route might not be best for you. All I’m saying however (in a rather long winded way), is that it’s perfectly possible to ride a road bike again if that’s what you want. Just requires a little perseverance!

After my back surgery L4/L5 I have found an upright position far more uncomfortable than on my drop bar bikes. My guess is that the upright position is compressing things that should not be compressed so much. My utility bike is still flatbar, but all my other bikes I have a slammed drop bar. Try it, you might be surprised, although I would say go gentle at first.

yeah mine as in the photo was L4/L5, I find I am , well I wouldn't say comfortable but I am better when bent over/stooped slightly, even almost 4 years after the op I am still getting pins/needles and sometimes numbness in my right leg

Shortandcrisp

Über Member

Hadn’t read this before I posted. Agree. Riding a hybrid or a sit up and beg bike is not necessarily the best option for people with spinal issues. I find sitting upright more uncomfortable and requires more core strength than riding a drop bar bike where your back is better supported. I read some of the bollox written about how important it is to have fantastic core strength to ride a road bike and have a chuckle to myself!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fortunately, no disc issues here - was thoroughly irradiated when I broke my spine, and surgeon said that at my age (late 40's) my discs showed no deterioration, so should be good into my old age ! That's a bonus. Didn't fancy the metalwork, as the surgeons have since said about on-going pain, that they'd be looking at the metal work - as I don't have any, it's generally soft tissue related now. As my spine is a slightly different shape than it should be, this causes the pain. Another good point, it can't get worse - just have to manage with lots of stretching, plenty of walking.

Running is out due to the spinal compression - get's very uncomfortable quick, hence not riding anything too 'rigid'.

As others have said, no 'upright' riding positions. I find 'vibration' very uncomfortable, so the Full Sus or the rigid with big soft 2.4's are OK.

fossyant

I think we should have a 'Show us your back injuries' thread ! :laugh:

fossyant

Yup, same here.

I've a CD full of MRI scans somewhere...
:biggrin:

I have 'after accident' at 1 day (big crack), 2 months (looks healed) and another at 5 months( oops). There is a marked difference between 2 months and 5 months - that's when the vertebrae crumbled away above the break.

Top Bottom