Back to riding again with some physical concerns?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
packey3

packey3

Thanks for the advice. On my hibrid I have had to raise the seat and drop the front bats for more comfort. You don't see many highbrid bikes with a seat higher than the bars. My issues started with a spinal infection and herniated c3-5 as well as. L 4- 6. Combined this with a very mild form of Distal Muscular Dystrophey. I had issues a few years back and the Neuro had said no bikes but just recently my new Neuro said give it a try again just pay attention to your body. Right now I am looking at a jamis steel gravel bike with carbon fiber fork and a redshift handlebar stem.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I found this a very interesting thread. I had a lifting injury back in the 60s and in those days I was told "give it a few days rest then be careful".
Now, as an older cyclist the problem/pain I get is after, say, 35 miles on my drop bars. Its at the top of my spine and into my neck. It becomes painful to look up/ahead.
The bike is a Giant Rapide and they seem to have an odd system so I can only raise the stem so far. Also the component sizes wont allow use of an adjustable angled stem doodah.
I am looking at a Cannondale Quick which is a lot more 'situp'.

vickster

Legendary Member
I found this a very interesting thread. I had a lifting injury back in the 60s and in those days I was told "give it a few days rest then be careful".
Now, as an older cyclist the problem/pain I get is after, say, 35 miles on my drop bars. Its at the top of my spine and into my neck. It becomes painful to look up/ahead.
The bike is a Giant Rapide and they seem to have an odd system so I can only raise the stem so far. Also the component sizes wont allow use of an adjustable angled stem doodah.
I am looking at a Cannondale Quick which is a lot more 'situp'.
Start doing daily neck and upper back stretches to see if that loosens things up before buying a new bike. Try Pilates too perhaps

Dave7

Legendary Member
Start doing daily neck and upper back stretches to see if that loosens things up before buying a new bike. Try Pilates too perhaps

Thanks.
I do a series of stretches (given by the physio) virtually every morning.
I dont get the neck pain on the hard tail .....just the road bike.
I only do road and eg Penine Way now so the thinking is, sell both and get a good hybrid.
Better than leaving it to the grand kids

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
[QUOTE 5498039, member: 9609"]you can get something known as a "Quill Stem Adaptor" that allows you to raise the height of your handlebars.

My back is a bit buggered so that is what I used and raised the bars up by about 6 inches. Bars are just higher than the seat now, and as @FishFright says it makes riding along enjoying the views very easy and comfortable.

Unless you're speed obsessed, riding along with your arse higher than your head is not a good posture.[/QUOTE]
See this thought posted often, but have never actually seen anyone in this position. How many riders with drop bars spend more than a small part of the time on the drops?

Top Bottom