Back to square one...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sat here now. Can't go out and fly and it's doing my head in.

A few years ago I wrecked both cruciates and went through a year of pain. The first diagnosis was to 'go home and put your feet up' for 3 months. Getting back to near my previous level took four more years, and I've been enjoying things since. The only proviso was a warning that patellar bursitis would probably be my new regular guest.

I never expected to do rides to Holmfirth or to do the 30 mile circular round Barnsley, Wombwell, Cortonwood & Elsecar. It's been ace.

Four weeks ago the familiar sting came back. I can't ride now. Knees sting all the time, mainly below the knee. I can see that my tracking is off.
The last relapse took 3 months to clear.

So I'm doing angled stepdowns, quad, calf and hamstring stretches, keeping off the bike and trying to ignore the burning 24 hours a day.
I can't take anti-inflammatories so am having plenty of tomatoes and other fruits and drinking a lot (not that type!).

The hardest part is the psychology. I'm 49, with a history of depression and dreading 50 as if it's end of life, and dreading the day I can't ride again.

I don't think I'm really after answers as I've been through this twice before. I think I'm just sharing the grief and getting it off my chest.

I'm hoping this will clear as before as winter riding up here is stunning! I can't give up.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I know how you feel - currently in recovery from an operation and hope to be back riding, if for a couple of miles, by the end of November.

My personal target's to be able to ride to Holmfirth by Christmas, which is currently unlikely.

Mrs M

Guru
Sat here now. Can't go out and fly and it's doing my head in.

A few years ago I wrecked both cruciates and went through a year of pain. The first diagnosis was to 'go home and put your feet up' for 3 months. Getting back to near my previous level took four more years, and I've been enjoying things since. The only proviso was a warning that patellar bursitis would probably be my new regular guest.

I never expected to do rides to Holmfirth or to do the 30 mile circular round Barnsley, Wombwell, Cortonwood & Elsecar. It's been ace.

Four weeks ago the familiar sting came back. I can't ride now. Knees sting all the time, mainly below the knee. I can see that my tracking is off.
The last relapse took 3 months to clear.

So I'm doing angled stepdowns, quad, calf and hamstring stretches, keeping off the bike and trying to ignore the burning 24 hours a day.
I can't take anti-inflammatories so am having plenty of tomatoes and other fruits and drinking a lot (not that type!).

The hardest part is the psychology. I'm 49, with a history of depression and dreading 50 as if it's end of life, and dreading the day I can't ride again.

I don't think I'm really after answers as I've been through this twice before. I think I'm just sharing the grief and getting it off my chest.

I'm hoping this will clear as before as winter riding up here is stunning! I can't give up.
Sorry to hear that.
At lest you’re doing all you can to get better as you’ve been there before :sad:
Hope you can get back on the bike soon :smile:
GWS :hugs:
Best wishes xx
P.S. Don’t fear 50, it’s the new 30!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Hope it clears up soon - there's nothing like a good ride on a sunny frosty winter morning - know how you feel. Hip replacement 15 months ago, longer recovery than expected, was just getting back on the bike, developed severe pain in calf muscles, both legs, on exertion. Now after less than 100 yards walking, less than a mile on the bike, and much less if not on the level. Investigation continues - orthopaedic consultant convinced due to spinal stenosis (as on MRI), but also possible PVD - vascular tests ongoing. Had spinal block (L4 right) last week, some effect, but sadly no miracle cure. Had a modest target of 3000 miles this year, but I'm lucky if I can cycle more than 5 miles at a time now, and unless dead flat and slow most of that will be very painful. Club rides are out for now. Even a one mile walk is an achievement too. I had hoped that the hip replacement would have sorted me, but then these other issues developed. Everything takes so long - referrals up to 12 weeks at a time, so 6 months soon goes by without much happening - I've lost a lot of fitness, and at 70, I worry it will be hard to get back to where I was a couple of years ago.

presta

Guru
I'm in much the same position, it's 6 years since I was last able to tour on the bike and no hope that I ever will. I've grown so weak through lack of exercise that I've now developed tennis elbow in both arms as well.

Thanks for the kind words everyone :hugs:
I'm just gonna keep plodding in and try and be optimistic.
My better half suggests seeing a GP which I'll probably do just to get an opinion. These docs are supposed to be way better than the ones in my old town.

vickster

Legendary Member
Did you have surgery on your knees?
Perhaps see a physio, you might find hands on therapies, massage, therapeutic ultrasound, acupuncture as well as ice and rest help (can you use a topical anti inflammatory gel, might be helpful?). A few sessions with a cycling and knee focused private sportsphysio might be helpful

Sounds like patellofemoral syndrome
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/patella/patellofemoral-syndrome-pfs

Did you have surgery on your knees?
Perhaps see a physio, you might find hands on therapies, massage, therapeutic ultrasound, acupuncture as well as ice and rest help (can you use a topical anti inflammatory gel, might be helpful?). A few sessions with a cycling and knee focused private sportsphysio might be helpful

Sounds like patellofemoral syndrome
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/patella/patellofemoral-syndrome-pfs

I never had a proper initial diagnosis. The GP just kept shoving me back out the door for another 3 weeks telling me to put my feet up. He couldn't care less.
After 3 months another GP saw me and immediately referred me for physio.
By then the cruciates were healing, but not being able to bend my knees for those months wasted everything, especially the obliques to nothing.

Judgement then was that the wasting put all the force on the bursas below the knee, and stuffed my tracking.

So I suppose PFS fits the bill, and this may be a relapse.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get your vitamin D levels checked by the GP. Deficiency plays a major role in musculoskeletal issues and in the UK almost all are deficient. I ahould have started taking it years ago I suspect

Duffy

Über Member
I had a similar dynamic after being diagnosed with 2 heart conditions (ironically diagnosed shortly after one of my most memorable rides ever in the pouring rain whilst working at the 2012 Olympics)

Went from that to 'Go straight to hospital' after what was meant to be a routine once over at the GP's.

These things can be crushing but you need to retain a sense of perspective, a lot of people have a lot worse than us, I'm now cycling very regularly again and doing 40-50 mile loops weekly along with my 14 mile commuting loop albeit my HR monitor gives me some funny numbers nowadays.

Persevere, do what needs to be done, you'll get better and be back. The lesson for you methinks (physically) is to work out what's triggering this and what you can (sensibly) do to avoid it happening again.

I've also crossed the hill into the 50's and can confirm that life still exists (in fact I'm having more fun now than I did when I was younger) so dry your eyes and get on with it!!!

:biggrin:

I had a similar dynamic after being diagnosed with 2 heart conditions (ironically diagnosed shortly after one of my most memorable rides ever in the pouring rain whilst working at the 2012 Olympics)

Went from that to 'Go straight to hospital' after what was meant to be a routine once over at the GP's.

These things can be crushing but you need to retain a sense of perspective, a lot of people have a lot worse than us, I'm now cycling very regularly again and doing 40-50 mile loops weekly along with my 14 mile commuting loop albeit my HR monitor gives me some funny numbers nowadays.

Persevere, do what needs to be done, you'll get better and be back. The lesson for you methinks (physically) is to work out what's triggering this and what you can (sensibly) do to avoid it happening again.

I've also crossed the hill into the 50's and can confirm that life still exists (in fact I'm having more fun now than I did when I was younger) so dry your eyes and get on with it!!!

:biggrin:

Thanks for that :okay:

I have to remember that I've had this and worse and then got back to riding bigger routes than I ever have.
There's a sports physio in Penistone which I think I should visit. GPs have enough to do and all they can do is a referral.

Top Bottom