Back to square one...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have to remember that I've had this and worse and then got back to riding bigger routes than I ever have.
There's a sports physio in Penistone which I think I should visit. GPs have enough to do and all they can do is a referral.
I'd still go see the GP, just to check they don't offer anything else. It sounds a bit like your old GP deserved a shoeing or at least a complaint to the local NHS.

You've come back before and you'll do it again - you'll get it rolling again :smile:

I had something very similar last year after doing regular mid to longish rides most weekends regularly doing between 50-100 mile runs when at the beginning of the autumn suddenly the right knee seized up So on the advice of the GP payed for some physio Which involved quad and ham string stretches plus a few more which after about ten weeks started to pay off. But just as I was getting back into cycling just doing short runs no more than 15-30 miles I broke my heel bone so all this summer have been unable to get on the bike let alone do any other jobs at home But hope fully that I can perhaps start doing a little bit of riding now as am aiming to go out twice a week plus doing the stretches!
It takes an awful lot of effort to get back to your form fitness I am finding that out as hills that I could get up quite easiely I am finding a real effort
As to worrying about being fifty think nothing of it as I am some 20 years your senior and still have some go perhaps more now as not bogged down having to go to work You will get there just take it slowly and perhaps don't aim quite so high till you know you can achieve your goal Al the best

I'd still go see the GP, just to check they don't offer anything else. It sounds a bit like your old GP deserved a shoeing or at least a complaint to the local NHS.

You've come back before and you'll do it again - you'll get it rolling again :smile:

I had something very similar last year after doing regular mid to longish rides most weekends regularly doing between 50-100 mile runs when at the beginning of the autumn suddenly the right knee seized up So on the advice of the GP payed for some physio Which involved quad and ham string stretches plus a few more which after about ten weeks started to pay off. But just as I was getting back into cycling just doing short runs no more than 15-30 miles I broke my heel bone so all this summer have been unable to get on the bike let alone do any other jobs at home But hope fully that I can perhaps start doing a little bit of riding now as am aiming to go out twice a week plus doing the stretches!
It takes an awful lot of effort to get back to your form fitness I am finding that out as hills that I could get up quite easiely I am finding a real effort
As to worrying about being fifty think nothing of it as I am some 20 years your senior and still have some go perhaps more now as not bogged down having to go to work You will get there just take it slowly and perhaps don't aim quite so high till you know you can achieve your goal Al the best

Thanks for the positive replies :okay:
I'm in touch with a physio, may be arranging a visit next week.

Just a quick return and hopefully close of the thread: It seems I've been told bulldust all these years and my knees and cartilage are fine. My problem is the fat pad beneath my knees that's a bit cheesed off by my riding 30 miles then doing bugger all for a couple of weeks, then riding distance again. Tracking is a bit off too.
So it's icing and some low impact exercises for a while, then I'm going back for more advice. I'm even ok for short rides.

12boy

Guru
Fractured my pelvis in 3 places 7 weeks ago and due to excellent physical therapists have made solid progress. Ride an exercise bike for 30 minutes at a time, do squats, leg extensions, pelvic lifts etc. Without their equipment and guidance I would not have been able to do this, as my tendency is to overdo and I would surely have crippled myself doing too much the wrong way. Lots of knee injuries in fellow patients and they are getting better just like me, but with different exercises. In a month I will be riding a real bike again although perhaps not on ice this winter. My therapists know their subject and I could not do it without them.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Update on earlier post - tests on the legs all done now - utrasound, CT scans. Serious vascular disease. Numerous narrowings in the arteries, some severe, particularly both femoral arteries in the groin. Bypasses or 'cleaning out and patching' required, with attendant risks, before stenting of other arteries. Consultant emphasised 5% possible loss of limb/s if things go wrong. Trying to scare me maybe? - as at the moment my condition isn't life threatening, as I'm still fairly fit, not diabetic and trying to exercise, walk, cycle as much as I can. It's just becoming more and more limiting. Quality of life has changed so much over the past two years though - I don't know what to decide ........

Top Bottom