Back to the gym at 63.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
As part of my “dealing with heart disease” strategy daily exercise has been highly recommended. I work full time so cycling every day for a few hours is off the menu but Doc mentioned that spinning and rowing in the gym each day would be ideal.
So .. off to the gym i went .....
Health assessment with the manager was fun .... “Any illnesses or underlying conditions i should be aware of ?” ...
That went down hill after discussion about whether i could be defibbed in the event of a heart attack.
What to do if i have another TGA was probably a step too far ...
Anywayup .... I’ve promised not to use the gym between 2200hrs and 0600hrs or otherwise die if there are no staff on the site.
Their open 24 hours but only manned ( or is that “Personed” ) for 16 hours.
Watt Bikes and Concept 3 rowing machines are good and i started off with 15 minute sessions on each for 4 sessions.
Then off for a shower and off to work ... £13.99 a month .. The GymGroup.
But ... no one interacts, no one chats, no eye contact ..... sterile ...
However during the "great storm” I cycled and rowed without being hit by falling trees or roof tiles ....
And all this is addition to my 50 miles riding my bike on the roads each week..
5 days a week in the gym and 2 days on my bike .... ^_^

Oh ... observation ... gym bunnies are real ....but why ?

Last edited:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Get a turbo and you could train at home any time you want. Or a treadmill or rower if you want variety.

Hae you considered doing some weight training?

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Get a turbo and you could train at home any time you want. Or a treadmill or rower if you want variety.

Hae you considered doing some weight training?
I’ve got a turbo and find it just reinforces any sense of isolation i have. Using a spinning / watt bike in a noisy gym environment seems to work better for me. Also using the turbo at 7 in the morning with its whine would not go down well at home.
Doc suggested supported cardio exercise only .. no weights ...

Doc suggested supported cardio exercise only .. no weights ...
May I ask why (s)he suggested that? (Speaking as someone whose partner is a doctor, albeit not a cardiologist.)

It may be since using heavy resistance does momentarily increase blood pressure, but there is very probably no reason why you can't do relatively high repetitions and low to middle resistance. Weight training as people age is a very, very useful thing to do, for numerous reasons, so if you have the opportunity to in the gym then addng something into your visits might well be a good idea (subject to confirming the level with your doctor by asking for more detail on the previous suggestion, of course).

Plus, people are more likely to be talkative and engage if you're doing resistance things than cardio machines; at least that's been so in all the gyms I've ever belonged to.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
May I ask why (s)he suggested that? (Speaking as someone whose partner is a doctor, albeit not a cardiologist.)

It may be since using heavy resistance does momentarily increase blood pressure, but there is very probably no reason why you can't do relatively high repetitions and low to middle resistance. Weight training as people age is a very, very useful thing to do, for numerous reasons, so if you have the opportunity to in the gym then addng something into your visits might well be a good idea (subject to confirming the level with your doctor by asking for more detail on the previous suggestion, of course).

Plus, people are more likely to be talkative and engage if you're doing resistance things than cardio machines; at least that's been so in all the gyms I've ever belonged to.
Thanks for the reply.
My Doc has been along the short path with me from my Transient Global Amnesia event to my diagnosis of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and the effects that these events will have on my life as a 63 year old Man.
She does TT’s, rides with Sheffrec.CC and her (10 years older) husband is the same age as me, and also suffers from the effects of long term undiagnosed high blood pressure.
To be honest, if she recommended I wear a pink ballet tutu to extend and improve the quality and duration of my life ... I’ll go with it ..
My Cardiac consultant, Mr. Smith, is a fellow AUDAX member ...
And guess what ..
The Nurse Practitioner looking after my blood pressure meds and options; her husband successfully completed this years Pan Celtic Long Course event ...
I’m in good hands .....^_^

Spinning and rowing .... Go Team !!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Is a gym visit really necessary? I know nothing of HCM so Googled it. You posted your doctor suggested spinning and rowing which I imagine raise your heart rate, both raise mine. From my very brief amount of reading this appears to be the opposite of thinking which suggests patients should avoid vigorous exercise and take up regular low intensity exercise such as walking.

When I first read you post, and without my brief Google, my initial thought was why bother with 30 minutes at a gym? Given the time it could take to travel to the gym, change, exercise, shower etc. I would have thought simply walking out the front door for a vigorous walk or gentle jog would be far easier to achieve.

I like to exercise regularly but can't be bothered with gym visits. I have a home exercise routine of stretches and light weights, total 6kg, which is easy to achieve. It takes 30 minutes rather than the 90 a gym visit would entail. I try to do this on the days i don't cycle. I wouldn't visit a gym three times a week as despite being retired i simply do not have enough time in my day to do this. I appreciate weights is not recommended for you my point though is regular home based exercise is easier, cheaper and time efficient compared to using a gym.

Following a heart attacking 7/8 years ago part of my recommended recovery programme was a daily walk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom