Back tyre deflates when I take cap off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniffer77

Hi all, my back tyre keeps deflating when I unscrew the cap. The actual valve seems to be sticking in the cap so blows out once cap unscrewed far enough.
Any ideas how I can fix? Bike is 2 months old.I've tried screwing in the valve tighter but doesn't seem to work
Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
it's a removable valve core. Take it out of the cap and screw it back into the valve body as hard as you can. Carefully use a pair of pliers to tighten just that little bit more. Being careful not to twist the valve.

Ganymede

Veteran
it's a removable valve core. Take it out of the cap and screw it back into the valve body as hard as you can. Carefully use a pair of pliers to tighten just that little bit more. Being careful not to twist the valve.
I might try messing with my valves - one of them has to be screwed down to the absolute max to stop hissing and start receiving air. Really boring.

Had the same thing happen to me;you can put plumbers ptfe tape on the thread to stop it coming loose again and you can get replacement cores.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You can get Presta valve spanners, but I have simply used needle nosed pliers. It is more of a problem if you use a screw on pump hose, as the valve cap really isn't necessary, so just throw it away. (Or keep it to cover the valve on your rolled up spare to prevent it damaging the tube).

Top Bottom