Backbacks, panniers or Leave it at work?

How do you transport your change of clothes etc. to and from work?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I leave clean shirts, pants, socks and trousers at work and top them up as and when required on a rest day when I take the car. As work run the Cycle to Work Scheme, they have been very supportive buying me a locker etc. I can also shower at work, who also provide the towels!

My commute consists of me, my bike, lycra and a slightly oversized 'bum bag' with all the usual 'crap' in it (work keys, wallet, multi-tool, puncture repair outfit, small first aid kit, spare tubes, gloves, sunglasses case etc.)

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Currently I'm using a backpack that's a touch on the small side, and am debating whether to a) buy a more appropriately sized backpack such as the Deuter Race EXP Air or Superbike 18 EXP (without hijacking this thread I'd welcome opinions on these 2 choices); or b) or replace my damaged rack and go back to a single pannier.

I can leave stuff at work so my daily load varies, but I've been enjoying the slightly faster commutes these past few days with the backpack – it seems that the backpack is more aerodynamic, and the bike a bit more responsive without a weighted down rear end.

akb

Veteran
Monday I drive in; work kit and towel (for wiping the sweat...no showers :sad:) comes with me and is then left at work until Friday when I bring them home again. Repeat cycle the following Monday.
Monday is also my shopping day; I drive to Tesco in the car to get essentials for that week, soup, bread, lots of fruit etc.
I have a spare pair of shoes I leave at work. I do commute with a backpack which has the daily essentials, keys, wallet etc and also a change of underwear in case it rains on the way in and I get a soggy bum.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Same as akb, take stuff in on a Monday and then just the undies during the week. 3 pairs of shoes left at work.

jaynana

i have a suite jacket and spare trouser, shirt, undies, socks, sweater all kept in in office as contengency.

carry the days's clothes in the morning in a backpack, bring them back in the ev and put them to wash.

biking_fox

Guru
I'm quite lucky in that my office has good changing facilities so on a Monday: backpack with 5 x shirts, 5 x socks, 5 x boxers, 1 x trousers. Leave them all in my locker in the changing room and take home at the end of the week for a wash.

This.
My general rule is that if you've only a little bit use a racktop bag/box, if a bit more then a backpack (fitted properly with waistbelt) and if more than that full double paniers. I've tried single panier a few times and never got on with it, weights the bike oddly.

Evilcat

Backpack with underwear, shirt, trousers. Shoes, jacket etc. left in the office.: Have just switched to a Deuter Superbike 18 EXP backpack which, in answer to mrmacmusic's query above is great -- plenty of space, decent set of pockets and built-in rain cover. Very stable and after the first few minutes I forget I'm wearing it. Expensive, but worth it.

EC

defy-one

Do these cycle specific rucksacks keep your back from sweating?
I still won't convert as the laptop and tools are just to heavy to lug around London on my back & shoulders

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I can wear shorts and tees at work which makes things easy (i've been totally trouser free at work since 2011!!!), but if the weather is bad, I'll wear some waterproof shorts and take a jacket, spare shorts, and undies & socks in my cheapy Argos backpack, and if it's really wet when I set off, I'll put them all in a nice shopping bag first. I use clipless shoes to ride, so I keep some spare trainers at work.

Maylian

Veteran
I don't have a need to wear suits for my work. So I can leave certain things in my locker like a couple of pairs of jeans and some shoes, so the rest of the week I will use a backpack to take in shirts etc. I prefer the backpack as I can keep my gym stuff and my packed lunch in there as well. Plus it has the added benefit as a "turtle shell" should I fall down the stairs like I have before on my cleats.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Use a backpack on Monday morning to take everything in, and a backpack on Friday evening to take it all home. I'm luggage-free at all other times.

Top Bottom