Backbacks, panniers or Leave it at work?

How do you transport your change of clothes etc. to and from work?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teuchter

Über Member
First commute with a pannier on my bike for ages. I'd forgotten how nice it was compared to carrying everything.

I've used a rucksack or courier bag for the last couple of years due to my main bikes not having racks. A shoulder strain that's refusing to get better has prompted me to sort out a decent commuting bike with a rack again and I finally got it all fitted last night.

I keep everything I need at work except shirt and underwear which gets carried in each day. I take clean trousers and towel in once a week. This can be done on different days to spread the extra weight but now I'm back to panniers I'm not bothered about that.

I make sure I take replacements in before taking the previous week's home to avoid risk of forgetting them and ending up at work without trousers!

defy-one

Panniers. Love them. But you can't get mine as they are no longer manufactured.

Ride

Those panniers are very similar to the decathlon pannier I bought. Roll the top and clip fastener. I have cable tied the pannier to the bike. My rucksack fits inside meaning I can sling it over my shoulder when out working and pop it inside the pannier when riding

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Undies in a backpack, on the pushbike along with essential repair stuff.

A bunch of shirts washed and ironed then folded into my motorcycle hard luggage and muled in once a week (or less as I only "dress up" for client meetings)

Suits kept at the office and dry cleaned along the road.

Shoes kept in the office (large'ish collection now)

If the weather looks set to be good I can easily get away with carrying undies in the pocket of my jersey along with a leyzne caddie full of repair stuff.

Phone, wallet and house/office keys/fobs are my main challenge, they are the bulkiest think I carry.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I find a single pannier fine. Guess we are all different

Yeah same here. I often hear folk saying single panniers weigh the bike wrongly but can't say I've ever noticed. I normally carry two for commuting say, but on liesure rides when I've not got much stuff apart from repair kit, a book or two, bins and strong lager- one's normally fine.

defy-one

I just dropped the best bike to 700 in Windsor for it's 6 week tighten up. Took a small rucksack for normal clothes as the family were meeting me here.
Liked aerodynamics. Hated the very hot sweaty back after just 7 miles on a cool day with a slight drizzle part way.
I think getting a proper rack and pannier was most definately the right solution for me :smile:

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I get my support car to bring my stuff for me.

Reminded me of my cycling holiday coming up,you tease.:wub:

Backpack,been using them for years...have had panniers in the past,rarely used.

jaynana

Do these cycle specific rucksacks keep your back from sweating?
I still won't convert as the laptop and tools are just to heavy to lug around London on my back & shoulders

same issue i have - often weighed down by a laptop, so not sure whether changing the backpack would help.. they should invent a biker backpack on 2 rails which keep it raised off the back allowing air-flow in between. maybe a dragon's den idea?

as for panniers - naah, that looks ugly! 'form over function' they say :becool:

Alan Whicker

Single pannier (Ortlieb City - recommended) with change of shirt, rain gear and sarnies. I used to use a Carradura rack bag, which was excellent but a bit on the small side if I had to stop off on the way home for any 'bits'.

John90

Über Member
I use the largest size, waterproof North Face courier-style bag and I carry a tone of stuff in it - laptop, all the bike accessories (lights, tools, tyres, pump etc.), clothes, book(s), phone, work ID, wallet ..... the list is endless. Panniers are the obvious and best solution hands down, but I don't like the look of them, so that's that.

Norm

Panniers if you are carrying something large and solid which will cause damage to your back in a fall. I only carry clothes, so I use a rucksack (a most excellent Lowe Alpine 25l thing) which doesn't leave me with a sweaty back at all.
I just dropped the best bike to 700 in Windsor for it's 6 week tighten up.
Hot-diggity-darn, I was walking round that part of town earlier today.

defy-one

Panniers if you are carrying something large and solid which will cause damage to your back in a fall. I only carry clothes, so I use a rucksack (a most excellent Lowe Alpine 25l thing) which doesn't leave me with a sweaty back at all.

Hot-diggity-darn, I was walking round that part of town earlier today.

They had it ready within 2 hours so i went back to collect around 4.30pm
Will give you a shout next time - you can show me some routes etc over a beer. (my shout)

Top Bottom