Backpack or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I commuted on the Trek, D-lock on the frame, large back pack. The only thing I would add about back packs would be that a chest strap is essential.
For current riding, I use an old Camelbak type thing to put tools/tubes/snacks etc in.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Timbuk 2 messenger bag, keeps all i need , Bike lock stays at work so no need to hump that around. Used to carry my laptop as well but thats now ditched and left at work in my drawer.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I used to have one of these top boxes on my e-bike. Loads of storage space, waterproof, weight is centered. It also carried my hefty d-lock. Can be a bit rattly but I lined the bottom with some foam which was a lot better. Also easy to open and close without straps/buckles. But the main bonus I found was that it doesn't bulge like a bag and doesn't get wet.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I usually use a Carradice in a suitable size, but for day rides I’ll often use one of these on the handlebars. Cheap, easily removed at stops and surprisingly capacious.

si_c

Guru
Just to add, sometimes if on a ride that's not too long - under 40 miles say, where I would usually only take a single water bottle with me - and the weather is a little changeable, I'll sometimes just pack the waterproof into it's stuff sack and put that in a bottle cage. Arm/Leg warmers are usually on if it's that sort of weather, and in any case they fit into a pocket easily enough.

All other things are mounted on the bike rather than in pockets - so saddlebag or frame mount for pump.

rivers

How far can I go?
For a day out on the bike in the summer, I don't bother with a rain jacket or arm and leg warmers. In the winter, I'll wear a rain jacket if it there is any chance of it raining. Arm and leg warmers just come off and go in a pocket if needed. If I'm commuting, then it all just gets put in my 6 litre altura saddlebag depending on weather forecast and temperatures. If it's a multi-day trip, crafty packing in my bikepacking bags. As my bike never gets left out of sight when out for the day, I don't worry about locks. At work, it goes in a locked room. If commuting, and you have communal bike parking, just purchase a second lock to keep at work.

Hudson1984

Über Member
Biggest saddle bag I could get.
Rain Jacket in jersey pocket
Tools in saddle bag
food etc in saddle bag
Overshoes only if it was actually raining, otherwise they stay home.
Leg warmers roll down if not required so no need to pack anywhere.

and if i'm only taking one bottle of drink i'd use the second to fill with tools and forget the saddle bag

freiston

Veteran
Dependent on weather and temperature for clothing but for shortish rides when I leave with a [cycling] jacket on, I will put my phone, keys, wallet in my jacket back pockets. Attached to my rear rack and held in place by a bungee, I have a drybag style stuff-sack with a small bum-bag in and a cape (rolled up and with a toestrap around it. If I want to take the jacket off, it goes into the drybag and the pocket contents go into the bumbag and around my waist. I have a small under-saddle saddlebag that stays on the bike and holds my toolkit and spare tube. Pump is attached to the frame and water bottles go in cages. If I want to carry a bit more, such as food, camera, lock etc., I use either a rackpack, handlebar bag or both. If I'm taking a load more stuff, like camping or shopping, I use panniers.

Top Bottom