Backpack vs Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
Well I have to say that this thread has been an eye opener - I never expected or considered that the type of school bag used at my school (in my time - 70s) would be so different from other parts of the country. I shouldn't be surprised - my home town was relatively isolated from rest of England at the time.

The canvas haversack linked by Alex321 above bring back memories - just not as school bags (though I can't remember if we had them in the school CCF). I do recall considering them for use as panniers for my first cycle-camping trip but going with some awful zipped nylon affairs (either from Millets or the "club catalogue", iirc) - I should have gone with the haversacks.

Another here at grammar school in the 70's, and I did usually cycle (about 3 miles).

My school bag was identical to this one (even the same colour)
https://www.militarykit.com/products/highlander-canvas-webbing-backpack-raf-blue

As my dad was in the RAF, they were probably sourced via the NAAFI.

So this was obviously quite easy to cycle with.
Most of my books stayed in my desk, I only took home the ones needed for homework each night, but I would often have sports gear to carry, so it could be quite full.
That's the one, blimey, that brings back memories.

freiston

Veteran
When I worked in a local factory, only about a mile or two away, and cycled there, I had a lightweight cotton canvas rucksack not much advanced in design from the military canvas haversack linked to above. It had little side-flaps with a buckled webbing strap closure at the top and a full width flap over the whole lot, not dislike the linked bag; the bag used to sag and pull at the "yoke" of the shoulder straps. I put a drawstring enclosure into the main sack and used two pieces (strips about 3" wide) of thin aluminium plate (quite malleable), one one the outside of the bag across the yoke and a corresponding one on the inside, sandwiching the material in between and fastened together with pop rivets, to give the bag some shape and form, to stop it sagging.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
I carry a rucksack in the pannier. aside from the ease of getting the rucksack in/out, it also means that laptop etc. is properly secured. the other benefit is that, as my work place is in a building with a small flight of stairs off a street, I can take the weight out of the back of the bike and put it on my back. bike is only 8-9 kg so easy to carry up stairs and into the lift…

Top Bottom