Backpack vs Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Etern4l

Many years ago I needed a walking rucksack for my daughter
We looked in a shop in Betws-y-Coed because we lived near there (ish)
Her favourite was a bright yellow ladies cycling backpack

Never seen one like it since - but it had a stretchy string bag on the back for a helmet and the lightweight frame held most of it away from the rider so allow air to circulate

Brilliant design - wish I could find one like it but bigger - no idea of the make
I"ve been using a North Face Surge. Brilliant, like it's not there. Minimal Hi Viz features, which is corrected using a waterproof Hi-Viz cover.

Alex321

Veteran
As I was also taught back in t'day. My preference has always been for panniers & rack / saddlebag. :okay: I understand the apparent need for backpacks and the new trend for bikepacking bags as it narrows the profile which enable folk to get through confined spaces that aren't usually encountered by tourers on roads. :smile:
There is also the simple fact that many modern bikes just won't take racks, particularly carbon-framed bikes.

Not all of us have multiple bikes, to be able to have a commuting bike with rack and another for non-utility use.

freiston

Veteran
on that side point Karrimor was ruined before Sports Direct got hold of it as little more than a brand.
Some venture capitalist bunch got hold of it -not UK based - south african maybe - and jusy started slapping the brand on cheap stuff they had acquired from wherever. They persisted in slappinmg the union jack on everything though.

i have a few bits of old Karrimor stuff, though one great thing I lost on a ride.
I didn't really know that (not beyond a vague recollection anyway) and it piqued my interest enough to quickly look it up - yeah, South African Cullinan Holdings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karrimor#Financial_distress_and_post-receivership_new_company_history

freiston

Veteran
There is also the simple fact that many modern bikes just won't take racks, particularly carbon-framed bikes.

Not all of us have multiple bikes, to be able to have a commuting bike with rack and another for non-utility use.
If I could have only one bike (which most of my life has been the case), it would have to be fit for all the purposes I would need or want a bike for. This is why all my bikes have had the ability to take proper mudguards and racks. I no longer commute but my bikes are still used for utility riding (it's not a commuting/non-utility dichotomy). As it happens, I now have two bikes - my touring bike and my folder, both of which have proper mudguards and racks. My tourer gets used for just about everything whilst my folder gets occasional use: it sometimes gets taken on public transport, sometimes gets taken on a utlity ride or short jaunt and it remains ever ready as a back-up, like when my freehub on my tourer stopped working.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's good. I suppose a lot depends on the laptops' build quality. In the limit there are rugged laptops one could safely use to fortify a pannier rack.

I suspect work had bought the cheapest just about OK ones they could source. They supplied padded bags but I just used the pannier, or my own normal rucksack if on the train. I'd no more expect to break something in a pannier than I would in my car or in a bag I was walking with

Etern4l

I suspect work had bought the cheapest just about OK ones they could source. They supplied padded bags but I just used the pannier, or my own normal rucksack if on the train. I'd no more expect to break something in a pannier than I would in my car or in a bag I was walking with
I imagine it was one of those business models: low-ish on processing power, but actually well built to ensure reliability.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I imagine it was one of those business models: low-ish on processing power, but actually well built to ensure reliability.

Apart from price the primary concern would have been consistent build and same firmware release over hundreds of items. Support costs dwarfs everything else and you don't want em all different.
Back in the day at a smaller company we had two Dell PCs bought the same day, identical spec. One would run a particular thing and the other would not. They had different firmware numbers. You really can't have that in a large corporation it'd cost you a fortune.

Carrying a laptop in a bag is really not an issue unless it's so flimsy it is just junk. Even the lowest name brands can manage a workable product

I didn't really know that (not beyond a vague recollection anyway) and it piqued my interest enough to quickly look it up - yeah, South African Cullinan Holdings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karrimor#Financial_distress_and_post-receivership_new_company_history
yep - all very sad - I bought my much missed vail pertex top in their factory shop (second - no bag) - as that piece says Cullinan dumped the workforce after promising the opposite.
I also have a Goretex Karrimor cycling top that is so effective I reserve it for the very worst northern weather.

simongt

Guru
Not all of us have multiple bikes,
Indeed. After going through various types of bikes over the years, I'm now settled quite happily with a Brommy for city work, a Dawes Super Galaxy for commuting / long & short touring and a Dawes Fox for fun - ! ^_^
That's what floats MY boat - ! :okay:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I use a years old dhb luggit slice for commuting and light shopping. Showing no signs of wear and prefer it on the commute to whiz about with. The only time I came off my bike I ended up sideways so wasn't an issue as such landing on it.
Currently in the process of gathering parts to turn the mtb into an all purpose utility bike for commuting, shopping and some light camping which will be kitted out with panniers.
Borrowed a mates hybrid recently with panniers to nip to shops on when my car was off the road and enjoyed the amount I could pack in.
Find im leaving the car at home more nowadays and think panniers may be the way forward for me.

I have a set of panniers - but they are cheap and look it.
They attach by velcro straps and every single one goes in the wrong direction to easily attach to the rack on my bike.
SO it is a pain to put on and off
And it is too big for normal rides so the stuff in it (spare tube, tool kit and drink) just rattle around and bang on things. Not helped when the straps come loop due to not attaching very well.
If I got a better set that were properly designed then I would probably use the bike for shopping more often!

Willam

For the last few weeks I have started wearing my rucksack on my back, I think writing it down on here made me realise how daft it was.
I just try not to carry too much in it (fail miserably at that) but it’s not as bad as I remember, I guess being winter is helping with that but yeah was a bit stupid.
I did previously have one of those seat post pannier, was next to useless, will stick with the bad on my back.

buzz22

Über Member
20220227_135433.jpg

I bought this Topeak Super Tourist DX rack today to make my commute to and from work more comfortable.
I already had the bag with the fold out panniers that I use on a Topeak beam type rack on a few of my bikes but the clamp around the seat post is quite wide and annoying.
I took it on a trial run with some work uniform etc in the bag, I hardly felt it there.
It took a couple of goes to get the rack in the right spot, I've always had trouble with my heels hitting panniers before (my feet are size 16) but this set up works really well and feels stable.
Much better than a sore and sweaty back.

As others have said, each to their own.

I used to commute to senior school with old style rucksack, in the 1970's, subsequently commuted to work, so that's over 45 years commuting, always with a rucksack. Quality over the later years has been considerably improved on the old school rucksack of four and half decades ago, and I've always, luckily, had shower facilities at my places of work. As such never been a problem for me and never contemplated panniers.

Top Bottom