Backpack vs Panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's what I'm looking for - old-fashioned :smile: I don't like the look of lots of the modern ones.

Think I might've spotted something on eBay so I need to measure to see if it'll fit.
John is a lovely fella, dunno how long he'll keep going (he's well in his 70s) but it's the best bike shop in town

View: https://youtu.be/I56m7KF7Erc

Not for the Carbon/Di2 crowd though

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Fantastic

12boy

Guru
From 92 through 2015 I was blessed with a locker and shower at work. Once a week I would drop off ironed shirts and pants and take the dirty stuff back daily. Keeping work shoes, ties and a sportcoat in my office usually sufficed . What a treat to arrive when sweaty or when it was below freezing and hop into a hot shower with a crisp ironed shirt waiting. There were many times my wet gear would be hung on a coat rack to dry before going home. Putting on soggy stuff before heading out into a sub freezing ride isn't optimal. Julia, I would bet that if there were lockers and showers more ladies at your place would ride. My employees often told me they were quite pleased I cleaned up before basking in their presence. Nothing like a long ride in the morning and again at night to clear the head and reduce the stress.

OP
OP
DDE

DDE

What the flip is "lifting the bike into position"? Is it a cyclocross commute? Ride the bike, not carry it.

Also, I wonder whether the panniers are being used to carry more stuff than the backpack was, so heavier, so slower. A typical rack is under a kilo so shouldn't make much difference and it should be similar either way, but I prefer saddlebags or rack top bags for small loads.

I often need to lift the bike at both ends of the commute. Few steps to negotiate and tight lock up spaces in awkward positions.

The panniers are being used to carry the same load.

On the flipside of the argument I just went to Ikea and carried home a not insignificant amount of stuff in both. They win hands down for trips like that and I’d be stuck without them really. Just not completely convinced they’re right for my commute.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, I use panniers for bigger loads, although keeping the bike itself unloaded and lugging my Bob trailer is both faster and allows for much more to be carried.

Zanelad

Guru
Rack and pannier for me. A small pannier bag as I usually take shirts and underwear into the office when i use the car, wnich is at least once a week. Just a couple of tubes, levers etc in the pannier. Fruit and snacks once a week. Dirty clothes on the way home each day. Perhaps pick up some milk on the way home, but I don't carry much.

Not considered a backpack. I do use one on the motorbike, but I don't fancy riding a pushbike with one though. I see plenty of commuters with them so they cant be that bad. Certainly cheaper than a rack and pannier, and if I'm being honest the bike looks better unencumbered. Still, I can't see them when I'm on the bike^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
From 92 through 2015 I was blessed with a locker and shower at work. Once a week I would drop off ironed shirts and pants and take the dirty stuff back daily. Keeping work shoes, ties and a sportcoat in my office usually sufficed . What a treat to arrive when sweaty or when it was below freezing and hop into a hot shower with a crisp ironed shirt waiting. There were many times my wet gear would be hung on a coat rack to dry before going home. Putting on soggy stuff before heading out into a sub freezing ride isn't optimal. Julia, I would bet that if there were lockers and showers more ladies at your place would ride. My employees often told me they were quite pleased I cleaned up before basking in their presence. Nothing like a long ride in the morning and again at night to clear the head and reduce the stress.

It's a shame those who have sweated in their cars do not clean up and change clothes before entering the office.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Panniers every time,not only do they reduce the moist back but they make you back end look bigger for motorists :laugh:
TBH I think my 'back end' is big enough without my Panniers on the bike. :whistle:

rivers

How far can I go?
I prefer a backpack. My carbon road bike, which I commute on when the weather is nice, doesn't have rack mounts. My CX bike does, but I don't have a rack. My old bike did, but I didn't like the feeling of riding with panniers. I sometimes use a small bikepacking saddle bag for my clothes and have a small backpack for my laptop. I use my commute as a work out at least 3 days a week, so either way I end up at work dripping

tobykenobi

Über Member
I was pondering this the other day. I commute about 9 miles each way and much prefer panniers. When I only cycled a couple of miles I used a backpack. However, most of the other commuters I see use a back pack.

When cycling any distance I like to have as little as possible on my back (including in jersey pockets). Panniers also allow me to carry more. I was tipping down today so I had space to chuck in spate shorts, mitts and socks in case the ones I was wearing don't dry out. I accept this means I probably lug about more weight than I need to, slowing me down. However, that means when I go out on my road bike at the weekend, I'm able to appreciate the extra speed more! (Or that's the theory!)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was pondering this the other day. I commute about 9 miles each way and much prefer panniers. When I only cycled a couple of miles I used a backpack. However, most of the other commuters I see use a back pack.

When cycling any distance I like to have as little as possible on my back (including in jersey pockets). Panniers also allow me to carry more. I was tipping down today so I had space to chuck in spate shorts, mitts and socks in case the ones I was wearing don't dry out. I accept this means I probably lug about more weight than I need to, slowing me down. However, that means when I go out on my road bike at the weekend, I'm able to appreciate the extra speed more! (Or that's the theory!)

This is spades.
And liking your theory about the extra speed on the roadie at weekends. :okay:

I don't commute. When riding, I use an old Camelbak holder to carry tubes/tools/grub/emergency money etc. If I carry heavier loads for any reason, I use a large bergen-style pack with waist and chest straps.
The latest N+1, and old Peugeot mixte town bike, has a rack, so depending on how well it restores/modifies, might be a good shopper.

1x Ortlieb Roller Urban here, when I'm not raping and pillaging saxons, I'm carrying my undies and a sarnies to work. The ortlieb mount system is quick and easy. You just lift the handle and it unclips from the rack. It only takes a few seconds to mount and the strap means you can wear it like a messenger bag if you have a way to walk at the far end of your trip. Downside, it's pricier than a sports direct backpack and the roll and clasp function can be faffier than a zip enclosure... but arguably it will last much longer and will come in handy when I eventually get around to my first bicycle tour.

backroller_urban_ber_2974.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom